Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Red face Inverter/Charger

I have my 1976 Argosy parked in my driveway while I am cleaning it up and fixing what needs to be fixed. Is it best to leave it plugged in all the time or is it best to disconnect it periodically?
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPorter
I have my 1976 Argosy parked in my driveway while I am cleaning it up and fixing what needs to be fixed. Is it best to leave it plugged in all the time or is it best to disconnect it periodically?
Does it have the original Univolt? If it does, may want to unplug if no systems are on. Possible to boil the battery....
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

If it is a true inverter / charger you should be able to leave it plugged in all the time. If it is a converter / charger (the one that comes from the factory)you should unplug it when the batteries are fully charged.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

An INVERTER changes 12volt DC to 120volt AC. A CONVERTER changes 120volt AC to 12volt DC. The Univolt in a converter. Older Univolts did not have charge reduction feature built in so they continue to feed the battery 30 or 40 amps (12volt) when plugged in to 120volt AC. If you need 120volt power while working on your trailer, simply unplug the Univolt to prevent battery damage. I've been putting a switch on the 120volt plug for the Univolt so it can be turned off when the batteries are charged without having to unplug the trailer from house current.
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Is it possible to purchase an inverter as an ad on to the converter?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
LRP,

What type of unit do you now use in your coach? As Darol said, converters take 120VAC from the 'wall plug' at home or a campground and pass it thru into the coach while converting some of it to 12VDC for use as control voltage in your appliances and for charging the battery.

An inverter will also pass thru the 120VAC into the coach, will charge your batteries while you are 'plugged in' AND will take your 12VDC battery power when you are not plugged in and change this to 120VAC....like if you're boondocking and want to watch the TV. The amount of 120VAC that you get will depend on how large a battery bank you want to carry around. You could do the same with a converter and a small generator for boondocking. You could NOT run a roof AC from an inverter with 2 group 27 batteries that might be in a larger T/T, but you could with a 2-2.5Kwatt generator.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Lewster, I'll bet you're in Florida now! Too bad you're not in Hood River to enjoy the COLD east wind and low temps from the Alberta Clipper turned the wrong way. Enjoy the warm. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Oops. I was thinking of a converter I guess. I have a small 120 volt refer in my trailer. It is our goal to travel light and inexpensive. My refer runs on 120 only and I was wondering if i could purchase something that would convert the power from the truck motor to run my refer while running down the road. My wife and I do not plan to dry camp but camp in places that offer 120 volt, internet and showers. We are retired and want to travel light with just the essentials. We are past roughing it and dry camping. Our refer is small 3 cubic feet +- and draws .8 to 1.5 amps running and wattage per 1/3 cycle is 75 to 130. Keep in mind that I am parroting from the refer spec sheet. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPorter
Oops. I was thinking of a converter I guess. I have a small 120 volt refer in my trailer. It is our goal to travel light and inexpensive. My refer runs on 120 only and I was wondering if i could purchase something that would convert the power from the truck motor to run my refer while running down the road. My wife and I do not plan to dry camp but camp in places that offer 120 volt, internet and showers. We are retired and want to travel light with just the essentials. We are past roughing it and dry camping. Our refer is small 3 cubic feet +- and draws .8 to 1.5 amps running and wattage per 1/3 cycle is 75 to 130. Keep in mind that I am parroting from the refer spec sheet. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Look at the Dometic Tundra line, 12V and 110V compressor driven, marketed for the marine industry and will run 30 degrees off level. Same basic size at the propane/electric line by dometic.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
A small plug-in type inverter, maybe 300-400 watts should do the trick for you. OR......like Bill said if you want a totally new unit. The inverters in this range can be had at any electronics/rv supply/hardware store.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Darol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Lewster, I'll bet you're in Florida now! Too bad you're not in Hood River to enjoy the COLD east wind and low temps from the Alberta Clipper turned the wrong way. Enjoy the warm. Darol
YES!

I really miss the Columbia Gorge in the winter. Especially those 'balmy' Easterlies

Now you know why I'm where I am WHEN I am!! My credo: "I don't go to any destination where the temperature is below my age!!!"

That said, it's getting harder to find places to go every year!!!!!!!!!!!!!