Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2015, 04:50 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If I had installed the factory inverter and solar system in our Classic, all those components would have been removed and trashed and the wiring not used when we installed the large system. It would be possible to acquire at least two and perhaps three times the solar wattage and appropriate equipment with properly sized wiring for the charges of those two factory options. Plus the owner gets to determine where the control head will be located.

On our queen bed 25FB, the dealer installed the Zamp solar controller right beside my wife's face in the cabinet beside the bed. As soon as the sun came up, it started blinking and would awaken her. They could have mounted it two feet higher at eye level when standing and it would have been less intrusive.

Perhaps improper dealer installation caused the 155 watt solar panel on our 25FB to not work properly, but in full clear sky daylight, it would not bring the standard factory batteries to a full charge (lucky to see 90%) after the furnace ran during the night and brought the batteries down to 50% per the Zamp control head. So we had to run one of the 2000 watt Honda generators to top the battery up. The factory installed 600 watt inverter (changed to a 1,000 watt model later in the 2013 model year) would not even run our toaster, so the generator had to be run for most anything that drew more than a few watts of power.

The devil is in the details as to whether the installation works properly or not. Many Airstream dealers totally lack the knowledge to properly install a really sophisticated solar system and the customer ends up disappointed in the performance, but lacks the knowledge to ascertain it was due to installation errors.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
After installing one and using it for awhile I've decided the importance of an inverter is overrated. The battery system in any Airstream (excepting those radically modified) cannot sustainably power the air conditioner, the microwave, or a coffee maker or toaster etc.

So this leaves the TV, and cell phone / laptop recharging duties. With a little rewiring effort the TV could even probably be wired to power off 12 volts supply. Any car charger can recharge cell phones and laptops. In my case, assuming the above, all I really need the inverter is to power the blender and vacuum. Both are just luxuries.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:05 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
If I had installed the factory inverter and solar system in our Classic, all those components would have been removed and trashed and the wiring not used when we installed the large system. It would be possible to acquire at least two and perhaps three times the solar wattage and appropriate equipment with properly sized wiring for the charges of those two factory options. Plus the owner gets to determine where the control head will be located.

On our queen bed 25FB, the dealer installed the Zamp solar controller right beside my wife's face in the cabinet beside the bed. As soon as the sun came up, it started blinking and would awaken her. They could have mounted it two feet higher at eye level when standing and it would have been less intrusive.

Perhaps improper dealer installation caused the 155 watt solar panel on our 25FB to not work properly, but in full clear sky daylight, it would not bring the standard factory batteries to a full charge (lucky to see 90%) after the furnace ran during the night and brought the batteries down to 50% per the Zamp control head. So we had to run one of the 2000 watt Honda generators to top the battery up. The factory installed 600 watt inverter (changed to a 1,000 watt model later in the 2013 model year) would not even run our toaster, so the generator had to be run for most anything that drew more than a few watts of power.

The devil is in the details as to whether the installation works properly or not. Many Airstream dealers totally lack the knowledge to properly install a really sophisticated solar system and the customer ends up disappointed in the performance, but lacks the knowledge to ascertain it was due to installation errors.
Lou... if you ordered a new AS today, with no factory solar or inverter options... would you drive to Texas to remedy the situation? Or could it be well-remedied here in AZ?
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I would do what I did before. I went to a recommended AM Solar system installer who knew what they were doing. This was a too large and expensive of a project for any outfit without large system installation experience.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:52 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Naples , Florida
Can we order a Classic without solar panels

Hello All,
We have been looking for a used 33 Classic with twin beds. Not finding much these days. My question is can I order a unit from the factory without solar panels installed on the roof. We plan to have Airstream Nuts 'n Bolts do a solar/lithium/inverter/etc. upgrade and it would be nice not having to remove panels and patch holes in the roof. Thanks for your input.
DenMan is offline   Reply With Quote