Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
interior lights are out and it is dark :(

Categories in chronological sequence:

Bathroom power:

Last year, I had intermittent trouble with the bathroom lights. They would sometimes work after heading out for a camping trip. Most of the time they were dead.

Dead Fridge (20 years old):

Pulling my camper out of storage a week ago, I found the fridge has lost power to the front panel. There is power at the outlet for the fridge. I confirmed that the ground is good for the outlet. I checked the fuse and it looks good. I took the fridge directly to the house power (bypassing the trailer wiring) and the fridge still didn't have power on the front panel.

All the non-bathroom lights:

I just went into the camper which had been sitting for a few days since the last time I had been in it with all of the interior lights on, and none work today. I haven't moved the trailer. I have power at all of the outlets, but no lights or water pump.

I risk going in the wrong direction by sharing the whole story, but I also don't want to leave out any potential clues.

Your help is appreciated!!
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Dead Univolt, blown ground fuse, bad connection at battery or Univolt. Check all the fuses and connections, as well as the battery.
Is the fridge a newer model that requires 12 volts for the control board? If so, that's probably why it won't work, at least this time.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I had the same problem with mine. Take a volt meter and see if there is power coming out of the inverter. Mine wasn't . I just switched the wire to a circuit that had power. I had blown the circuit on the board that the power was coming out off..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Just changed all fuses in the inverter and the 50 on the floor outside the inverter. I can't tell if the inverter is humming like it used to.

The fridge is a 1989 Dometic 2803. I will check but I think I remember a warning sticker that talked about 12v connection.

Last weekend we checked the battery, which is bad, but with it connected to the trailer it held a load from the tester. Suggesting the circuit was okay then.

I will check the battery connections to see if something changed there somehow.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 06-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Just purchased a 12v circuit tester. No light coming from the battery. Used the tester inside on the fuse panel. No light there either.

Right about now I'm wishing I hadn't ordered the new fridge.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Begin at the beginning...

Start with the battery. Is it charged? Is it good? Will it hold a charge? If the answer is "no", charge and/or replace as needed.
Now that you have a known good charged battery, check the connections to it. Use your test light. Does the light light when you touch it to the positive terminal of the battery, and the negative terminal? (this makes sure it's working). Next, touch the tester to the positive terminal and ground, such as the trailer skin. Does the light light? If yes, move into the trailer, and start checking the fuse panel at the Univolt. If not, go inside and turn on something, such as a light. Now, come back out and touch the negative terminal and skin of the trailer with the test light. If it lights, you have a bad ground.
If you get to this point and everything is good so far, come back and let us know, and I can give you the next steps, such as checking output from the fuse panel.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
If the trailer is plugged into the 110, I should be able to get a 12v drop from the terminal of the battery to the trailer skin if the Univolt is working correctly. Am I wrong? Isn't that exactly what the Univolt does, charge (boil in my case) the battery when shore power is connected?

Old 06-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
After-post: I did test the circuit tester across the good battery in my suburban before going to the Airstream.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
If you got a go on the suburban and tried a direct line on the AS battery and then a no go. Then your battery is bad. You should get a light coming out of your inverter..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Okay. So I put a Charger on the battery while still connected to the Airstream. I have internal lights. I also get a light from the positive post of the battery to the skin of the trailer. I do believe I have a bad Univolt. (yes I still have a bad battery that needs replaced). Put an order in on BestConverter.com and we'll see if next day means tomorrow or Tuesday.

I also tried turning on the Fridge to see if the missing 12v to the board of the fridge was the problem. The front panel does not light up. I'm not able to light the fridge on gas. Bad fridge still?

Old 06-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
  • Fridge still down.
  • Bathroom lights still down.
  • Have twin, galley, and living lights.
  • Water pump works, but doesn't shut off, just keeps pumping after I shut off the water faucet.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Fuses on Univolt seem to be integrated with the blue case of the Univolt. I would rather not replace the fuse panel.
  • Did you mount the Intellipower somewhere near the Univolt and just bypass it?
  • Did you cut the case of the Univolt to keep the fuse panel?
  • Did you install a new fuse panel?

Old 06-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe View Post
Fuses on Univolt seem to be integrated with the blue case of the Univolt. I would rather not replace the fuse panel.
  • Did you mount the Intellipower somewhere near the Univolt and just bypass it?
  • Did you cut the case of the Univolt to keep the fuse panel?
  • Did you install a new fuse panel?
Pull the fuse panel out of the Univolt, you can re-use it. There are a few things that won't work without modification, because they were intended to be used with the Univolt. The "power on" light and ammeter will not work, or will not work correctly.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
I'm having trouble getting the Univolt out of the hole. I had to remove the tub to get to the bolts holding the unit to the floor.

I needed a sanity break so I thought I would ask in advance ...

To remove the fuse panel from the Univolt, it would appear to me that I need to disconnect all wires to the fuse panel (as they run through the blue case) and then drill out the three or so rivets to get the panel separated. Is this correct?

Please keep in mind, I still don't have the thing out to get a good look at the blue case, but it feels like there should be a better way. I'm wondering if I could cut the blue case between the panel and the univolt so the panel still has a frame and door, removing the rest of the blue Univolt to make space for the Intelipower and outlet. Am I crazy? What haven't I seen yet?

Old 06-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
WAIT!! You dont need to take the tub out!!!!!!!
there were two phillips screws in the floor in front of the univolt!!!! They hold a "plate" that the univolt is "bolted" to. After removinf the closet floor the univolt AND the "plate" WILL slide through the access hole in the closet wall!!! I just went through this last week!!
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
See this is exactly why I am asking about the fuse panel. I missed that bit of information about the two screws when surfing the forum. It would have saved me a lot of work to know that.

I already have the tub apart, but you have still saved me some grief.

Now I need someone to give me the hidden 'hint' about the re-using the same fuse panel.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:19 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Sent you a PM.
This was not my picture but I did the same thing!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ead-47565.html
I used the Rotozip with a cutoff wheel to grind the rivits holding the blue case together. Top comes off with front door attached. then removed the GUTS ? I took the wires off the GUTS NOT THE FUSE PANNEL!!!! I then used wired the negitive and positive to the Intellipower. Made a ground wier to the skin ( for ground lug on the side of the new inteli power) Installed a standared box and outlet ( like the one in your house) to plug the intelli power in. (use the 110 wires from the old univolt to puwer the outlet) I made some cuts to the old univolt case to help the intelipower COOL then put the case back together with eslftaping screws (might need to get back in there later) slid it back in the hole put the phillips screws back in and put the wiers back to the fuse pannel (pannel is labled with the colors to make this easy)!

Hope this helps! Mike
Old 06-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Sorry for the spelling was trying to get posted fast before you went through more trouble than you need to . Mike

If you need a beter exlpanation shoot me a PM I will try to get you a phone # so I can help clarify things on the phone.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Okay so I have the Univolt out. Here is the picture, I've already started disconnecting things and am thinking about how I want to mount the Intellipower. I was originally thinking I would mount the fan out the back, but that will require removing the back wall. I may turn it sideways, facing the heat sink fins toward the fuse panel and cut a hole in the side for the fan and power cord.

My issue is, which of these wires are the positive and negative that need to go into the Intellipower. The big wire across the top goes to the fuse bus. The fuse panel is on the left in the picture and the dead weight of the Univolt is on the right.

Thank you!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00066.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	600.1 KB
ID:	83232  

Old 06-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Ok ... so hang in there with me. I followed the wires from the front of the Fuse panel to where they went. One to the positive side of the batt. and one to the neg side of the batt. ( my batt cables are still red and black = easy to follow) I used the big power cable from the old univolt (cut it with the rotozip and cut off wheel too) for BOTH of my positive and negative connections ( I cut it into two wires and put new ends on the ones that needed ends, I soldered the ends that were bare wire to help prevent corrosion and get a solid contact).

The smaller wires

The single one I left un hooked it is for the Power light on the panel in the front of the trailer. ( I did not care because the other end hasn't been good for years)

The two wires that go to the big plate at the bottom of the fuse panel are for the Ammeter @ the front panel of trailer. I cannot remember if I hooked them to any thing else but they run the meter in the front of the trailer now.