Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
How do these halogen fixtures compare with the old 70's light fixtures that envelope the crank-up vents? both in terms of the amount of light cast, and power consumption? I've seen the halogen "hockey puck" styles, and I think they're typically 10w each; people make comments in threads like this one, that they "...use alot of juice"...well, compared to what?

The factory ceiling light fixtures take six 1156 bulbs, but how many watts are each bulb? (can't find a definitive source for that info. maybe it varies?). How many "hockey pucks" would it take to replace the amount of light of one of these 6-bulb fixtures?

I'd like to someday replace my front vent with a fantasik fan, but that would mean loosing the light fixture.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #22
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
How do these halogen fixtures compare with the old 70's light fixtures that envelope the crank-up vents? both in terms of the amount of light cast, and power consumption? I've seen the halogen "hockey puck" styles, and I think they're typically 10w each; people make comments in threads like this one, that they "...use alot of juice"...well, compared to what?

The factory ceiling light fixtures take six 1156 bulbs, but how many watts are each bulb? (can't find a definitive source for that info. maybe it varies?). How many "hockey pucks" would it take to replace the amount of light of one of these 6-bulb fixtures?

I'd like to someday replace my front vent with a fantasik fan, but that would mean loosing the light fixture.
Chuck,

I believe that the 1156 bulb is a brake light bulb if used in automotive terms. Those usually are reated at 21 to 25 watts each. Over 2A draw each, anyways. So, at 4 bulbs per fixture, you're getting 80+ watts, and a healthy 8a minimum draw. More like 100W, and 10A draw...... I know you said 6 per fixture, but mine only had 4 per fixture in the 71 Tradewind. You can do the math for 6 bulbs per fixture. Definitely not boondock friendly.
The light produced by these original Airstream lamps is yellow, and inefficient because it is diffuse, not concentrated.
A 10W halogen can definitely replace a 1156, no contest, at half the wattage. All of my 10 ceiling halogens consue about the same energy as a 4-bulb ceiling light with 1156's in it, all 4 burning.
I'd venture to say, though, that the light is much more pleasant, and less warehouse-ish.
The Halogen light is quite white, which translates into a higher light efficiency than regular bulbs.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #23
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I'd venture to say, though, that the light is much more pleasant, and less warehouse-ish.
Which light is more pleasant? the halogen, or the 2-4-6 bulb incandescent?

So...how many of those 10w "hockey pucks" do you suppose it takes to replace a 6-bulb 1156 conventional fixture?

I saw from your pics that you installed a BUNCH of them...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:55 PM   #24
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Which light is more pleasant? the halogen, or the 2-4-6 bulb incandescent?

So...how many of those 10w "hockey pucks" do you suppose it takes to replace a 6-bulb 1156 conventional fixture?

I saw from your pics that you installed a BUNCH of them...
My preference goes to the halogen lights. You should try a few, see if you like the light they produce. It is definitely more focused due to the reflectors in the little pucks, but not narrow.
I'd say to replace 6 incandescents, try 3 of the halogens.
I had 2 in the front room of my tradewind, and it was sufficient, together with the lights under the front storage compartment.

I did install a bunch of them ( 20 or so) in the Overlander, but they're on 8 different circuits, so I can use the combination of lamps that I want.

Tags
12 volt