Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Question InteliPower Converter Install Questions

I'm getting ready to purchase one of the Inteli-Power Converters (probably from "68 Overlander" here on the forums...).

We have '78 Excella 500. Has anyone swapped the Univolt with an Inteli-Power in the later 70's/early 80's models with the Univolt up front behind the couch? I'm wondering how easy it is to make the connections and whether it will fit into the existing space the Univolt occupies. Will I have to re-wire from the fuse panel?

Forgive me, but I tried searching the forums first, but could not find any references to this exact procedure, but I may have missed something, too.
-Dallas
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 06:26 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Dallas -

I have a 78 Excella 500 and did the swich easily. And I'm not very mechanical. The univolt is mounted in a hard plastic case in the front of the coach. The inivolt is wired to the fuse panel, so yes, you will need to re-run the wires from the fuse panel to the new intellipower - The switch is very straightforward.

I also bought the intellipower from 68 Overlander and was very pleased with the price and service.

Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Dallas, try http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=9313 This thread includes my experiences only last month in doing this install. Nick.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
charge wizard

i replaced my boat anchor some time ago and i am pleased at the performance. the charge wizard will not kill (boil)your battery's as the old charger would. interstate battery replaced a set of battery's three times before they decided i had to buy the next set. and advised me to get a new charging system. i leave my unit plugged up and the charge wizard will go thru a set of cycles to charge the battery. i let it charge for a day or two then i program it into maint mode. doesnt over charge or boil the batterys , i have added water three times during the last year. had to add water weekly with the old charger. the only thing is the loss of the power on light . if i hear the fan i know it is on.
this is a worth while improvement over the old charger.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:43 AM   #5
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
Inteli-Power Converter

I want to say you are doing the right thing.

I installed the Inteli-Power Converter on my 59 Ambassador 2 years ago. It works great .
With my old charger I was always adding water to my battery. Not with the Inteli with the charge wizard. It takes all the hassles away. Just check the water everyonce in awhile and you will be surprized that you don't have to add water. I think I have added a little bit of water twice in two years. Almost don't have to do anything and I like that.
Hope this helps I Love my Inteli- Power Converter.

Andrew Selking
WBCCI #6062 VAC
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Andrew, I think we met at the Valentines Rally. Didn't realize you put in a new inverter. I'm thinking about doing the same, mine works, but my battery boiled over. I'm also concerned that with it's age it will fail at the worst time. I was afraid that I'd bite off more than I can chew in replacing it. Did you take any pics? Lastly, are you going to be at the Canton rally.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:47 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Nick, based on your positive feedback, I placed the order today with 68 Overlander's company for the Inteli-Power and Charge Wizard. I can't wait for it to get here! I'm going out tonight and start surveying the connections from the fuse box to the Univolt in preparation.

I'm considering changing the cabling from the battery to the distribution block. I've still got the original battery cables and those nice little bullet type quick disconnects. I love the disconnects, but the battery cable terminals have seen better days--plus the size of the wiring is bit on the small side. I've found some quick disconnects that are rated for 400A from Wrangler NW Power Products. I'm thinking of trying these along with their very flexible welding cable type of battery cable (about 4 gauge).
-Dallas
WBCCI #8481
Old 03-10-2004, 08:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
intellipower install pics

Dallas,

I just posted 5 pics in my photo gallery on my Intell Install - very simple!!!

See '78 Tradewind Fuse Box thread for some - hopefully - helpful comments. I was answering your query there.

Intell Install pics

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 09:48 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Bob-

Found your post over there--Thanks!!!
Old 06-03-2004, 09:57 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Intele-Power install done!

Just wanted to follow-up....I did the install and everything went very well. I'm extremely pleased with how the Intele-Power's done over the past couple of months. I can now leave the trailer plugged in with no worry about the batteries boiling dry. It keeps up with our modest 12V needs quite well.

I'll share what I did which was to use 1/2" aluminum channel to build a frame to hold the Intele-Power using the old supports for the Univolt as a template. You can see in the picture I've turned the Univolt upside down and I've fitted the aluminum channel into the groves on it's support frame to align the mounting holes. This way I was able to use the existing holes from the Univolt when I placed the Intele-Power back into the box at the front of the trailer saving a little time and the need to drill more holes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intele-power on Univolt.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	7023  
WBCCI #8481