Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2004, 08:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Inteli Power 9100

Got it installed and seems to be just right. I do have one question and again I am new to this- When the Inteli power is operating and I turn on 12 volt lights, the more lights that go on the voltage drops. (not below 12 or anything, starts out at 13.6 V). I would have thought that the inteli power would keep up with the voltage drain. Nothing drastic but I am curious if this is normal. I am monitoring voltage throught the accessory clips on the front distribution panel inside the coach. Is it also using the battery with the inteli power on? I ask this as the amp meter shows a negative charge when I start using 12 volts. That meter on the panel though does not seem to be very accurate.... Thanks - Bryan
Bryanhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
How much does it drop? If the battery has a float charge it will drop pretty quickly. Turn on 5 amps of draw and watch the voltage for a couple of hours. It should drop quickly and then slow as it gets into the bulk charge. It does draw of both the inverter and battery so the battery condition plays a big part in the voltage drop. OTOH higher voltage means more heat so lower is not all bad.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
That doesn't sound right. Without a Charge Wizard, the 9100 should maintain 13.6V across the batteries and into the coach until it reaches its rated output. If there isn't a problem with the 9100, I'm concerned that there is something causing a voltage drop on the wiring between the 9100 and the trailer wiring... and when the higher current drops the voltage down to that of the batteries, they begin contibuting to the load. I'd definitely be checking connections and feeling for warm/hot wiring/connections.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
what is the current out put of the charger??? i have a 9160 with charge wizard but i keep in maint mode . when i turn on appliances that require lots of current. i will see a drop but not below the power supply set voltage. in my book if i remember the set voltage without the wizard is 13.6 volts and that should drop on the surge but recover quickly. lights should not cause a noticeable drop. i would get the batterys load tested. to verify they are ok. you can get this done for free at most auto parts places and also at wal mart. untill you verify that you have good batterys your chasing your tail. so to speak. batterys go bad and bad batterys burn up chargers. just my 2 cents
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:27 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks everyone. You have confirmed (I bet) that my battery is bad. I will check it with the hydro today. I completely forgot that this battery was probably "cooked" by my wonderful Univolt!

Bryan
Bryanhu is offline   Reply With Quote