We just received our new Inteli-power 9160 with the charge wizard for our 69 Globetrotter and I have some wiring questions. The Univolt is long gone, taken out by a previous owner and what is left is a glass fuse panel wired to a battery and the charge line from the tow vehicle and an AC outlet with an on/off switch.
I need to go buy cables to wire the new charger into the system and I'm not sure the best way to go about it. The instructions that came with charger are vague (at least to me). The charger has two sets of outputs, two positive and two negative, plus a grounding lug.
1. Run a positive to the fuse panel and a negative to the fuse panel and a ground from the lug to some point on the frame yet to be determined.
2. Run a postive line to the positive battery terminal, a negative line to the negative battery terminal and a ground from the lug to the frame.
3. Both of the above since I have two outlets from the charger. There's still the existing cables from the fuse panel to the battery - do they need to stay or get eliminated in this case.
4. Do I really need to use the grounding lug if my fuse panel is already grounded to the frame?
Another related wiring question. My polarity indicator light seems to be on the AC Circuit box in the streetside closet. Does it light up ONLY when your polarity is reversed? Or does it ALSO light up when you are plugged into an ungrounded outlet? Is plugging into an ungrounded outlet really dangerous? Is there a good way to ground the trailer if the only available outlet is ungrounded?
We had the trailer plugged into our 60 year old guest house (just a shack really) that is ungrounded and the polarity of the outlets is uncertain. I had been working on the 12V
wiring when my 4 year old son touched the shell and said it felt funny. The rest of us couldn't feel anything but the polarity light was ON, and I did have a 12V
short that I was investigating. Needless to say, I unplugged the trailer from the shack and replugged it into a known, properly grounded outlet. I also solved the 12V
problem. So, can a 12V charge shock a small child or do we have a more serious AC problem that I need to worry about? I recall reading that the reverse polarity lights in some models are a hazard themselves.