Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Installing 2 6-volt batteries

There is a shallow plastic tray under the Group 24 batteries I'm taking out. My new T-105 6-volt batteries won't quite fit in the tray. Is the tray absolutely necessary and/or is it bad to have the new batteries sitting directly on the metal bottom of the battery box?
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Lose the tray. It is not needed.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Some people add a two or three inch extension to the top of the box.

This is mine, made with 2 inch aluminum C-channel screwed to the box. Plenty of room for the taller batteries with a bit of extra room. I removed the tray and cut a piece of thin rubber mat that I had to fit. The plug is for 12 volt accesories or plugging in my Solar suitcase panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	261564  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
New T105 Batteries

For those of you looking at 6 volt T105, Trojan now makes a new model called the T105RE. It has "Smart Carbon Technology" which basically adds some carbon panels inside the battery. They have a larger terminal which add about 1/2 inch to the top.

Normal T105 warranty is one year unlimited and one year prorated. T105RE is 2 years unlimited and 5 years prorated and is expected to last 10 years with excellent performance.

The new battery is more expensive but should pay for itself and more.
Ziggy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Quick question: Will these 6 volts get along with the PD4655 charger?
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwestman View Post
Quick question: Will these 6 volts get along with the PD4655 charger?
Yes, I recently installed a PD4655 and am considering 6V batteries. Are these compatible?
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #7
2013 Int. Sig 23D

2013 23' International
Des Moines , Washington
Yes, you wire the 6v batteries in series instead a parallel it "sees" them as a 12 v battery...My PD4655 works GREAT with the Lead/acid 6v pair.
Russ
Rrroberts40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
La Crescent , Minnesota
Same Question? Only a PD4645.
Thanks,
Jay
mjayjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I replaced my controller with the PD4655 but the batteries were already shot by the previous owner in only 4 or 5 months. Can't make up my mind as to adding solar as a lot of my camping will be in the forests. Think maybee a Zamp 200 watt panel would be a better option as trailer in shade and solar in sun. No holes to drill and installation expense of fixed panels, however a mix of both may be in the future.

Would be interested to see hat Rrroberts40 is doing as his is similar to my trailer.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
I replaced my controller with the PD4655 but the batteries were already shot by the previous owner in only 4 or 5 months. Can't make up my mind as to adding solar as a lot of my camping will be in the forests. Think maybee a Zamp 200 watt panel would be a better option as trailer in shade and solar in sun. No holes to drill and installation expense of fixed panels, however a mix of both may be in the future.

Would be interested to see hat Rrroberts40 is doing as his is similar to my trailer.

Dave

NO HOLES if you install the panels 'properly'!!!

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 05-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Used to be a belief that the surface of a battery would conduct low level current to any ground source. Hence the advice to not store a battery directly on concrete, which can absorb moisture. A tray provides insulation from such current leakage, if you believe such is possible. However, I always believed that the primary purpose of a tray was to capture any spillage of acid.

Is it a terrible mistake to ditch the tray.? Likely not. A new battery box is not a significant expenditure. Is it a good idea to install a tray? Likely it is. However, a good coat of acid resistant paint might be any acceptable alternative that is less problematic to implement.

Thanks for posting the issue. I had not given it much thought. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
If the tray is removed, will the 2 6v batteries fit? ...or is box modification, as shown in the photo, necessary with the T105 Trojan batteries?
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Please post

Lew, can you post some schematics on how to wire two 6 volt batteries in replacement for the Group 27 batteries.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Lose the tray. It is not needed.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Lets travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn T View Post
If the tray is removed, will the 2 6v batteries fit? ...or is box modification, as shown in the photo, necessary with the T105 Trojan batteries?
The Trojans are almost Two inches taller. They would not fit in my box without the extension.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 05-04-2016, 05:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets travel View Post
Lew, can you post some schematics on how to wire two 6 volt batteries in replacement for the Group 27 batteries.

Thanks
Easy: connect one 6V battery's NEGative (ground) terminal to the AS ground cable. Connect it's POSitive terminal to the second 6V battery's NEGative terminal. Connect the second 6V battery's POSitive terminal to the AS POSitive cable.
You're DONE.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Make sure to reattach the positive wires from the Jack and brake switch to the proper positive post. Experience talking.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Looks like you got your answer.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 05-04-2016, 08:01 PM   #18
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Lew, I see on AM Solar's website that they expect to ship their Lithiums this month. As soon as my 4 Lifeline 6V batteries get chronically ill, I'll be converting. As I look at their site, it looks like this should be fairly straightforward with my 600W solar package. BTW, I continue to extoll the virtue of the Magnum MSH3012 that you convinced me to install!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Lew, I see on AM Solar's website that they expect to ship their Lithiums this month. As soon as my 4 Lifeline 6V batteries get chronically ill, I'll be converting. As I look at their site, it looks like this should be fairly straightforward with my 600W solar package. BTW, I continue to extoll the virtue of the Magnum MSH3012 that you convinced me to install!
SEE.......told ya........told ya........

The lithiums that will be shipping are the Victron units. We (AM Solar) is having a difficult time sourcing the modular cells that we were using, and those are still not shippable, as the supply just isn't there. They are looking at a variety of replacements and hope to secure a reliable source for cells that perform to their specifications (you would be surprised at how many DON'T!) so that they can be used with confidence.

I'll be at the shop in a couple of weeks for the Victron immersion for my new system (200 A/H lithium, 2000 watt Multi-Plus hybrid, 100/50 solar charge controller and color monitor with all of the great interconnects that Victron is known for).

I'll do a thread about the stuff that I install in my Sprinter service van as soon as I'm done.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #20
2013 Int. Sig 23D

2013 23' International
Des Moines , Washington
Hello All,
I use a Honda 2000 to charge up my batteries when needed. I have considered a Zamp? 160 or 200 watt portable solar setup but have not yet pulled the trigger on it. One problem with built in solar I can see is many times our favorite camping spots have limited sun exposure so I think the portable would be the only way to go for us, at least for now. Of course the portable issue would increase theft possibilities so it would need to be taken down anytime we head out to see the sites. They do look to be easy up/down so should not be a big problem. The Honda is very quiet and have not yet had anyone complain but I use it in the proper time window anyway. The biggest gain with the twin 6 volters is the considerable extension is battery time vs the two grp 24 12 volt batteries. My 12v batteries sat in the trailer and were not charged properly it seems as they went bad just outside the lame 12 month original warr (12 months after purchase which made them 22 month old) and the Airstream store wasn't interested in taking responsibility for their lack of charging and it looks like they were charged up just before we bought it in July 2013...I did not know enough about batteries early on so wasn't insisting that they be replaced when we bought the trailer new at that time...I did add a spacer on top of the battery box and then remounted the lid/door on top of that plus I bought matching paint from Airstream and most would not notice it is even changed. I cut the plastic pan ends off and so my batteries will fit in there and then made a couple rubber pads up against the metal box to keep the batteries from touching/rubbing on the box. Have to reconfigure the wiring and bought proper copper ends and a crimping tool off Ebay and it looks great. You will also need a longer stud to secure the batteries and also need to make a heavy guage short connecting lead to go between the + and - posts. I bought Interstate 6 volters as we are a auto dealer and can buy them cheaper and their batteries do not have the auto type posts at least the ones they had in stock do not so that is why I reconfigured the connections. I also cut 1/4 inch off the trailer side of the metal steel frame lip (that the lid sets down on bottom edge) as it was a tight fit where the wires have to now go up another 1.5 inches and I was concerned the would eventually wear thru the insulation and short at that spot...just took out a 4 inch long x 1/4 wide spot to run the wire up and problem solved.
Russ
Rrroberts40 is offline   Reply With Quote