Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 75
Installed an ammeter and voltmeter in panel

Though someone might like this. It's a bayite power information panel. It has amps, volts, watts and kWh. I installed it in my CB panel with the induction coil around the AC input line to give me total power into the trailer Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9953.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	288858
__________________

thinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,632
Images: 3
Thanks for the info, they're pretty cheap, I'll have to look into getting one.
__________________

HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,089
Thanks for posting this. I recently bought the same AC display unit and also an identical one for DC but have not yet installed them so it's nice to see one in action

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 75
I wired mine in on the supply side of the breaker so it's immediately powered when shore power is available. That probably has some negatives and I installed it in the CB box cover and that's probably got a few detractors too
thinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Zionsville , Indiana
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 52
Quote:
I wired mine in on the supply side of the breaker so it's immediately powered when shore power is available. That probably has some negatives and I installed it in the CB box cover and that's probably got a few detractors too
Well, you did violate a few NEC codes on both accounts - just sayin'.

The wiring to the supply side is placing the protection of the device and connection wiring at the hands of the power pedestal breaker - which is most likely 30 Amps (or even worse - 50 amp). This makes the connection wire or more likely a trace on the circuit board the "fuse". Hope and pray nothing shorts to ground in the device as it will just burn into the clear - and fail the device.

The placing the device in the cover of the CB box negates the protective purpose of the cover - and - also violates the UL or ETL or CSA listing of the CB box since it has been modified for an unlisted purpose.

Believe it or not, circuit breakers fail - sometimes in an "eventful" (industry term for explosive) manner. The cover is there to contain these failures and prevent the spread of the burning debris.

The violation of the UL / ETL / CSA listing is probably your biggest issue - if you ever have an insurance claim due to any electrical event or an electrically caused fire, your insurance investigator will most likely deny your claim. All insurers in the USA require the use of UL/ETL listed devices in electrical circuits and their use must be in the manner of the listing. Else, the owner pays.

You had your reasons for installing the device the way you did - and as the owner, you have the right to do so - it is YOUR risk (and the risk is also shared by all who are with you in your RV). I just wanted to let others know there are actual reasons for electrical codes and why certain devices are the way they are.

Best of luck.
DRPREECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
dmbecke's Avatar
 
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 261
Can someone explain how what this data is telling me and how to use it?
Thanks
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbecke View Post
Can someone explain how what this data is telling me and how to use it?
Thanks


The data is voltage on the AC system, amperage draw on the AC system, total wattage being used and the total power used since the button was reset. You can use it to see what load you're putting on your gens or the load on your shore power. Particularly valuable for us rule breakers.
thinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPREECE View Post
Well, you did violate a few NEC codes on both accounts - just sayin'.



The wiring to the supply side is placing the protection of the device and connection wiring at the hands of the power pedestal breaker - which is most likely 30 Amps (or even worse - 50 amp). This makes the connection wire or more likely a trace on the circuit board the "fuse". Hope and pray nothing shorts to ground in the device as it will just burn into the clear - and fail the device.



The placing the device in the cover of the CB box negates the protective purpose of the cover - and - also violates the UL or ETL or CSA listing of the CB box since it has been modified for an unlisted purpose.



Believe it or not, circuit breakers fail - sometimes in an "eventful" (industry term for explosive) manner. The cover is there to contain these failures and prevent the spread of the burning debris.



The violation of the UL / ETL / CSA listing is probably your biggest issue - if you ever have an insurance claim due to any electrical event or an electrically caused fire, your insurance investigator will most likely deny your claim. All insurers in the USA require the use of UL/ETL listed devices in electrical circuits and their use must be in the manner of the listing. Else, the owner pays.



You had your reasons for installing the device the way you did - and as the owner, you have the right to do so - it is YOUR risk (and the risk is also shared by all who are with you in your RV). I just wanted to let others know there are actual reasons for electrical codes and why certain devices are the way they are.



Best of luck.


Thanks for the info.
thinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
tjdonahoe's Avatar
 
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,607
A friend wired one with outside air temperature, when he unrolled his awning, he found about a dozen spaced holes drilled in it....lol
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
A friend wired one with outside air temperature, when he unrolled his awning, he found about a dozen spaced holes drilled in it....lol


That is AWESOME!!! Poor guy! But if you can't laugh, you'll cry!
__________________

thinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a factory installed solar panel ? I think it's factory installed and ... JacobMerridy Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 1 01-14-2017 09:23 AM
Voltmeter and Polarity Tester xCliff Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 22 10-07-2015 08:37 PM
Ammeter and shunt system idroba Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 5 03-08-2012 06:22 PM
Ammeter hook up and bonus question DanielB Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 4 04-29-2011 06:01 PM
Digital Panel Voltmeter source wacnstac Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 13 05-30-2007 06:50 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.