Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #1

1965 26' Overlander
winnipeg , manitoba
Install new umbilical cord

am working at restoring a 65 overlander. I would like to replace the umbilical cord and the brake breakaway switch.
they run from the very front of the a frame to the opening in the belly pan where the circuit breaker is positioned. they run inside the the a frame thru a tight hole at the front and come out thru a small hole in the a frame accessed through the belly pan hole. my problem is they are so tight going thru each of these holes that they can't be budged no matter how hard I push or pull. there is no access to the frame from above inside the trailer so I'm guessing u somehow have to find a way to pull these 2 wires thru. Does anyone know of a methodology for doing this or am I missing another way to access the wires

Thanks
Glenn
beginner5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
Welcome to the forums! I can't help with this one, but someone will come along soon who knows how.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #3

1965 26' Overlander
winnipeg , manitoba
Forum Gods

Thanks Bob good to be here
Glad I found this site-
My family refers to this site as "The Airstream forum Gods"
since there always seems to be an answer no matter how tough the question. I wonder how many old airstreams would be sitting idle in the back yard without this site
Old 07-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner5
I wonder how many old airstreams would be sitting idle in the back yard without this site
you mean like this one

Click image for larger version

Name:	air1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	40662

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
Glen,
Have you tried applying heat on the A-frame channel or box section to soften the insulation on the cables. Plastic and rubber insulation gets very stiff over time. Maybe a heat gun, hair dryer or spot lamp/heat lamp would help warm it up. A last resort could be to run the new cables/wire outside the frame and secure them with insulated cable clamps and stainless screws or run the new in aluminum conduit securely clamped. Charlie
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Here is what I did, I was really easy and I feel you can do it to - I did this on my 66 Caravel. First off - the old umbilical is really stiff with age. The outer sleave and inner insulation become stiff and brittle with age. Get a new umbilical with molded connector already installed from your RV supply place. Costs about $25 and will come extra long. Do not cut it untill installed - you will need the length.

I cut the connector off my old wire and pulled 2 (YES 2) small diameter nylon pull cords taped securely to the old cord. I then pulled the old wire out through the access panel under the front of the trailer. Then I used the pull cords to pull the new umbilical and brake wires through (I used one nylon line for both and saved the secound as a backup). The newer umbilical is very pliable and snaked in with no problem - I fed some on one end as I pulled. Went real easy.

You can also tape the nylon cord to the end under the trailer and pull from the front to get the old wire out.

I used a terminal strip and crimp on connectors to make my connections - the new umbilical colors will most likely not match the old wiring color scheme - CHECK FIRST. I connected all the existing wires on one side of the strip and then jumped one at a a time from the new cable until I made the right connections.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #7

1965 26' Overlander
winnipeg , manitoba
Thanks for the tips. I tried pretty much all that was suggested and got nowhere- I finally decided to coat as much of the wire as I could while electrical wire pulling grease ( available at electric supply stores or home depots etc). I then tied a strong rope to the front end of the cable where it comes out of the a frame and the other end to my truck and then slowly gave it gas. after 30 seconds of slow controlled pulling, it finally gave way and came out. I had attached a cord to the end so I will now be able to pull the new wire through. I am now cleaning out the channel in the a frame and widening the hole where the wire enters the connection point in the pan belly and will then proceed to pull the new wire through using the cord now running thru the channel

Thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
[quote=beginner5]I then tied a strong rope to the front end of the cable where it comes out of the a frame and the other end to my truck and then slowly gave it gas. after 30 seconds of slow controlled pulling, it finally gave way and came out.

Now thats thinking out of the box way to go
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote