Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #21
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtravelers View Post
Yep, I'm going back and forth on buying the pedestal or hardwired Progressive model. I like the idea of it being inside the trailer and just plugging in without dealing with another piece of equipment when setting up or possible theft. Although I really wonder how often a pedestal mounted protector really gets stolen.
Another disadvantage of permanently installed EMS is that they hum. A pedestal unit can be locked if you are concerned about theft.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We really only "shore power" at home.
We have many more brown outs than surges or lightening, our PT-30c has been in the loop several times when the system has pooped with the AC on...SFSG.
BSTS👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
hardwired inside makes setup easier as there is one less item to hook up
plus anyone could take your outside filter

yes our filter hums, but its under the shelf and there is more noise in the AS that the sound level from the filter. At most someone could take my power chord, but i have a spare
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:28 PM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Set-up...😳?

Well, thats like washing a hog...if it poops you have to do what to take advantage of the warrantee... Un-install?

I prefer the hassle of "setting-up"... commonly referred too as plugging it in. 😂 TETO

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-30-2018, 10:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Another disadvantage of permanently installed EMS is that they hum. A pedestal unit can be locked if you are concerned about theft.
I have a EMS HW 30C, hardwired inside under the front bench. It hummed for a while and I isolated the unit by placing rubber bushings under the mounting screws and re-positioned the feed wire. No more humming.

Also, I'm not in the least worried about replacing the mother board on this thing if it goes bad. It's just a couple of screws to replace, maybe 10 minutes work at the most.

For some a portable module hooked up to the power pedestal is a good workable solution. For me, I much prefer a hardwired EMS inside my trailer. I plug my trailer in to the pedestal and 136 seconds later I'm worry free - pretty much.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Interesting,

Would be a good question to Surge Guard Tech Support

It would be nice to have an end of life warning. Like a check engine light or oil service for vehicles.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Problem is the components that snub the surges have a hard to predict lifespan. The other problem is there is no good way to test them.

Rule of thumb is, if it takes a big surge, replace the active parts.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
For whatever reason, our portables are far more popular than the hard wired. Presumably folks don't want to do the minor installation task involved or want to be able to use on multiple vehicles or keep it if they trade.
As mentioned above, the hard wire version EMS should be the last component before entering the distribution panel (breakers)
Generators are equally responsible for surges as are older camp grounds, lightning strikes etc. When the RPM 'hunts' the voltage often goes with it and if the RPM controller doesn't catch it, bam, you just go surged. Usually happens when first powering up the genset and after the transfer switch 30 second time delay expires.
If the transfer switch is used for an Inverter, I would not be nearly as concerned. Never had a call from a surge from an inverter of any kind.
Only disadvantage to portable EMS is if you have an on board genset. Most Airstreams do not obviously but if you did, a portable would not protect it. People often ask if using a portable generator do I need a surge protector...Absolutely you do.
The question of theft of a portable EMS. In 10 years I have had exactly 0 calls from anybody needing to replace a portable because it was stolen. Doesn't mean it can't happen but it does not often. Locking it is an option. I have had a couple calls from folks that drove off without it after unplugging shore power.
So what happens if we get surged? What gets damaged? Answer is similar to accidental 240 when plugging in to the wrong power.
The first line of defense is the converter. It gets smoked every time and usually the transfer switch if installed. From there its a tie between the microwave and the television, or anything else plugged into 120 at the time. Sometime but not always it will get the air conditioning and refrigerator. One lady recently lost it all and her claim to insurance was over $7000. Blamed it on me of course.
A surge protector or EMS is pretty cheap insurance and some prefer to self insure but it can sure ruin a trip. Progressive Industries carry a lifetime warranty so the concerns about "wearing out" the MOVs from multiple surges shouldn't be an issue.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:14 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hagerstown , Maryland
Generator Neutral-Ground Bonding Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtravelers View Post
Thanks. Now I'm understanding your first comment a little better, but I'm not sure what this part of what you said means:

"Just need a duplex plug with a wire between neutral (silver screw) and ground (green screw) stuck into any duplex outlet on the generator."

I know what a duplex plug is but I'm not sure I'm picturing correctly what I need to do.
Are you saying to take a plug and connect a wire from the neutral to the ground and then plug the plug in to the generator?

I'm Mike Sokol, and I'm the guy who designed the generator N-G bonding plug, promoted it on my blog noshockzone.org and made a video of why you need it on an inverter generator if you have an intelligent/EMS surge protector. Here's my latest publication on this topic along with close-up pictures on how to wire your own. - Mike Sokol

https://rvtravel.com/rv-electricity-...onding-basics/
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:36 AM   #30
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mike,

I’ve watched several shock zone videos and linked them here several times.

Well done informative presentations.

Thanks

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And accurate...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:49 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hagerstown , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
And accurate...

Thanks very much. Please have your moderator contact me about linking to my RV Electricity and No~Shock~Zone articles. I've published hundreds of articles on just about every RV electrical topic imaginable, and I'm glad to share my knowledge with everyone. - Mike Sokol
Old 11-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
Thanks very much. Please have your moderator contact me about linking to my RV Electricity and No~Shock~Zone articles. I've published hundreds of articles on just about every RV electrical topic imaginable, and I'm glad to share my knowledge with everyone. - Mike Sokol
Thanks for checking in Mike. I just came across a box of your plugs I suppose I bought last summer some time and forgot to add them to the catalog/website. Sure not doing anybody any good collecting dust in my warehouse for sure!
My buddy took one (as he often does without asking or paying) and tried it on a couple of his generators and reported they do work as advertised!
Everybody here will enjoy your input so pull up a chair and stay awhile.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:36 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hagerstown , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
Thanks for checking in Mike. I just came across a box of your plugs I suppose I bought last summer some time and forgot to add them to the catalog/website. Sure not doing anybody any good collecting dust in my warehouse for sure!
My buddy took one (as he often does without asking or paying) and tried it on a couple of his generators and reported they do work as advertised!
Everybody here will enjoy your input so pull up a chair and stay awhile.
Since I'm stretched pretty thin with my current writing and seminar schedule, you can all help by sending me a direct message if you see anything on this forum that might need my attention.

Also, I'm scheduling presenting RVelectricity seminars at up to a dozen trade shows and rallies in 2019, and already have Hershey, FMCA and several others on my 2019 calendar. Please let me know of any Airstream related rallies you would like me to attend. My seminars are all hands-on where I do actual demonstrations of important topics such as campground pedestal measurements, hot-skin/stray-voltage testing, inverter and solar system selection, etc....

Thanks for your interest.... Mike Sokol (jmichaelsokol@icloud.com)