Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
How loud is your Progressive Industries EMS?

Hello,
I just installed a Progressive industries HW30C in my Flying Cloud 27FB and it is LOUD. I purchased it when I initially ordered my Airstream so it has been over 30 days, so returning it may not be an option. Do these get quieter over time? If not I will be removing it and getting one like I had with my SOB trailer that plugs in to the camp ground power pole.
My 27FB is 30 amp with transfer switch so I connected it after the transfer switch. I installed it behind the power center. it was a tight fit, not for the EMS but for me doing the install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190914_091320[1].jpg
Views:	70
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	352168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190914_092918[1].jpg
Views:	78
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	352169  

Name:	IMG_20190914_074732[1].jpg
Views:	66
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	352170  
Brainodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
I have mine under the bed, next to the converter, and while I have yet to spend a night in it since installing it, I have been in the area working on my Goal Zero Yeti 1400 installation while plugged into shore power. I’ve not heard a sound.
Steve
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

No, it's not going to get any quieter as time goes on.

These gizmos often have a fan that is driven by the temperature. When "doing nothing" they don't get very hot and the fan does not run. As they get busy, they heat up and the sensor boosts the fan. At full load the fan goes nuts. There are a lot of computer power supplies that work the same way. If yours is super loud, it likely has a defective / broken sensor.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:00 AM   #4
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
HW30C Mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
These gizmos often have a fan that is driven by the temperature. When "doing nothing" they don't get very hot and the fan does not run. As they get busy, they heat up and the sensor boosts the fan. At full load the fan goes nuts. There are a lot of computer power supplies that work the same way. If yours is super loud, it likely has a defective / broken sensor.

Bob
uncle_bob - Clearly you don't have any actual knowledge about the Progressive Industries HW30C EMS, and that's not helping the poster with their question. I actually put one in our Classic S/O last week. There aren't any fans in it. There's a couple of solid state boards and the supply and load side wiring. When the unit is powered there is a quiet "hum" from the box.

Brainodo - I'd suggest remounting the box with rubber washers between the box and the solid surface your using. That may help reduce any sounding board resonance. I mounted ours in an upper locker beneath the distribution panel. With the locker closed ours was quiet.

All the best!

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
How loud is your Progressive Industries EMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainodo View Post
Hello,

I just installed a Progressive industries HW30C in my Flying Cloud 27FB and it is LOUD. I purchased it when I initially ordered my Airstream so it has been over 30 days, so returning it may not be an option. Do these get quieter over time? If not I will be removing it and getting one like I had with my SOB trailer that plugs in to the camp ground power pole.

My 27FB is 30 amp with transfer switch so I connected it after the transfer switch. I installed it behind the power center. it was a tight fit, not for the EMS but for me doing the install.

I’ve always used mine at the power pole and never noticed any noise other than the click when it turns on after doing its internal diagnostics. I would call the company and ask about that. I don’t think it’s normal for it to be “LOUD” - maybe a defective unit?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:37 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Any room to mount the unit on rubber isolators similar to this

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Vibrat.../dp/B079DX7Y1T

Search was for 1/4-20 rubber isolator.

I monuted my surge protector to a wood panel above the bed and it buzzes a bit, I just put rubber washers between the unit and panel and it knocked the buzz down a lot.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
it is a power device with a transformer. they all makes some noise. this is a physical property of power going through an iron device.

you can reduce it with isolator rubber pads, but not stop the noise or eliminate it

we have our under the pantry and can barely hears it
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Is it buzzing?

For some reason, if you have the wires bent going into the unit, it tends to buzz. I'm sure there's some electrical reason for this, but I don't know what it is.

Figure out a way to straighten out the wires going into the box and it should quiet down. Mount it sideways if you have to.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Hello and thanks for the suggestions.
This may just be an issue where there was something in the way of the contactor or electro magnet. The power went out here this morning and I went out to do other prep work on our new camper and the noise was now almost negligible. I will cycle the power a couple of time to see if it ok now. I will probably still put some sort of rubber isolators in as recommended.
Brainodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
I have the 50A version mounted under the Dinette in my 2019 Classic. The buzzing sound is caused by the solenoid on the contactor. This is the large black relay that you connected your power in/out to inside the box. I would definitely contact Progressive Industries because it should not be making a loud noise. A slight 60Hz hum is acceptable, but it should be very quiet. If your's is buzzing, there may be something loose that is rattling that shouldn't be loose (like a winding on the coil, etc...) If Progressive won't honor the warranty, the contactor is easy to replace. You can find a replacement on Digi-Key or even eBay. These are designed to be modular and easy to replace any part. My guess is that Progressive Dynamics will be good to you.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
uncle_bob - Clearly you don't have any actual knowledge about the Progressive Industries HW30C EMS, and that's not helping the poster with their question. I actually put one in our Classic S/O last week. There aren't any fans in it. There's a couple of solid state boards and the supply and load side wiring. When the unit is powered there is a quiet "hum" from the box.

Brainodo - I'd suggest remounting the box with rubber washers between the box and the solid surface your using. That may help reduce any sounding board resonance. I mounted ours in an upper locker beneath the distribution panel. With the locker closed ours was quiet.

All the best!

Tom - S/OS #025
Hi

No, clearly I miss read the post and thought it was talking about a converter charger. The EMS doesn't make any noise at all under any conditions so it made no sense that it would be described as "loud".

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I mounted mine on wall under twin bed next to converter/power distribution center, etc. I do notice a buzz sound when AC is off and have found that the led lighting had an effect on this, but think it's coming from converter. I changed out my converter 2+years ago for better unit. Maybe I can't hear EMS noise for the converter noise.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Loudon , Tennessee
I would give them a call and then have an audio Recording of what it sounds like my dealing with them have been very good and they have an outstanding customer support. I noticed they just move all their production back from Mexico to the United States you may still have one of those old Mexican units.
mckenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #14
ranchometal

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Mare Island , California
Ours is the 50 amp version and aside from the transfer click we hear no noise.
ranchometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #15
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
no noise from mine except click on start up
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #16
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
No Noise... 👂🏼

My 30 amp is installed in the converter area and it's silent... 😎
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post

All the best!

Tom - S/OS #025
I have one in my sport 16. I have only heard a very occasional click. Very quiet. Mine is mounted on the floor. Rubber washers maybe a great solution, Also try a piece of the anti slip rug mat, or something similar to pad any vibration off the back. Should be an easy fix.
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Brainodo,
I have a solar generator on order and it would be great if you could outline how you integrated your goal zero into your system
I have 180 watts on the roof and looking for ways to integrate a generator. Thanks
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
It makes no noise, and has not fans. I find the monitor the best addition of all the electrical monitors I have. It shows the amperage draw in real time to manage usage.
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Somewhere it snows , Ohio
Totally silent

You might want to contact Progressive. I have had a 30 amp EMS in my last 2 trailers and have never heard any noise. BTW. I mounted mine under the closet on my 27 FB next to the water pump. I chose this site which is before the switch so that the front generator plug is intentionally out of the loop. I do not need to protect the generator power and if anything ever goes wrong with the EMS I have an alternate power input. I have attached a photo of it mounted. Sorry the photo is sideways.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F550839E-FEDA-4E5F-8154-A79826DBC0E9.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	352246  
Airdream99 is offline   Reply With Quote