Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2021, 07:54 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Interesting question

For all you NEC Guru's out there:
Does plugging in the RV constitute "Damp Location" and thus require the 20 amp be a GFCI?

And thanks Wulfraat for those wattages.

kbmwrs: Maybe consider getting an ammeter and making a short test cord.
Measuring the various combinations to stay under 16 amps and all is good.
Most good EMS electrical management systems (i.e. Surge protectors with undervoltage shut-off) would also display the amps, but the problem using one of those: If your 20 amp outlet is GFCI protected, then many EMS will trip the GFCI. So that sort of rules out using the under-voltage shutoff protection.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:11 AM   #22
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeSag View Post
For all you NEC Guru's out there:
Does plugging in the RV constitute "Damp Location" and thus require the 20 amp be a GFCI?
The short answer is "no". NEC GFCI requirements in most cases are determined by the location of the receptacle outlet, not by what is plugged into it. There are some exceptions for instance pool pumps.
On the other hand you have the manufacturer's instructions for whatever it is you are plugging in, which will trump the NEC requirements. The NEC states that manufacturer's instructions must be followed. For example most everything you buy with a 3 wire grounding type plug will include in the instructions the requirement that it be plugged into a grounded outlet. Some appliances, like gas tankless water heaters, include in their instructions that when plug and cord connected (the ignition part) they must be plugged into a grounded GFCI receptacle.
In the trade we like to say the NEC is as "clear as mud"
Old 02-24-2021, 11:29 AM   #23
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
FYI, I had a 50 amp circuit and underground cable installed from my breaker box to the RV port. Peace of mind and no power issues using the Airstream.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 02:52 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
FYI
2016 25' FB International

We need to live in our trailer next to our house for a while.

If I plug into the house 110 with an extension cord what appliances can I use?

Water heater? (yes I now I can use the propane for this)
Fridge? (yes I now I can use the propane for this)
Microwave?

Thanks,
Mike
We use our 110 service here in California all the time.
At the main breaker we turn off the front and rear AC along with the microwave.

We usually run a small electric space heater.
When the space heater is off we can heat the hot water tank although I have done both at the same time.

A few weeks ago in freezing Utah we used a 150' cord just to run the electric heater.

When everything is off, i.e., microwave, space heater, water heater we can charge the LiFePO4 battery bank at 80 amps and 14.4 V = 1.152KW .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2879.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	389332  
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Vista , California
RE: dumping your grey and black water tanks. We lived in our AS while we were building our house and had our holding tanks serviced by the porta-potty company that was servicing the porte-potty on site for the work crew. Wasn't that much $$ and way better than having to hitch up to go dump tanks
Airlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
With our Airstream in the driveway, I plug the 30A pedestal cable into the 15A outlet on the side of the garage using a 30A to 15A adapter plug (no 20A circuits readily available). This house outlet is probably wired with only 14 GA wire and is 50 feet from the home's service panel so a significant voltage drop will occur if any large current is necessary.

I have a digital readout that plugs into an outlet in our Airstream and it displays the AC voltage present at the outlet. Without any load it reads 117 VAC some days. With the AC unit running (no Easy start) it can drop as low as 112 VAC. So now I use our Hughes Autotransformer to keep the voltage up. With the autotransformer in the circuit we can run the AC and lights and it never dips below 117 VAC.

https://hughesautoformers.com/autofo...-does-it-work/
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote