Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Honda Generator (EU200i) Break-in Procedure

We just got Honda EU2000i and started to research on its break-in procedure. While owner's manual says very little about the subject, many people on youtube are advocating different procedures.

I don't know enough about small engines to know which opinions are valid, but in principle, these pieces of advice at least make sense to me:

A) Not to start the engine right after putting the oil because the oil has not reached everywhere it needs to.

B) Pull the starter cord gently and slowly 10~20 times to distribute the oil.

C) After the first few hours of running (no load), change the oil to remove the metal pieces produced in the break-in process.

It is also possible that if such break-in procedure is important, the owner's manual must say something about it. So with Honda's tight tolerance control, maybe we can just start it right out.

Also it is possible that regardless of break-in procedure, it may not matter with the kind of usage we are planning (probably less than 30 hours a year).

Do you guys have opinions about this?
Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
If there was a break-in period the manual would say so. I never did a break-in.

I would be more concerned with the lack of use. You need to run it under load every month or so and probably add a fuel stabilizer. Mine has the same gas in the tank for about 9 months.
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCraig View Post
If there was a break-in period the manual would say so. I never did a break-in.

I would be more concerned with the lack of use. You need to run it under load every month or so and probably add a fuel stabilizer. Mine has the same gas in the tank for about 9 months.
What if we put gasoline in the generator without stabilizer before a weekend trip, and if we remove the gasoline upon returning from the trip (from the tank and carburetor), can't we put the same gasoline into my TV?

Or should we run the generator to let it consume it before too long?

As long as the generator is free of gasoline after use, it shouldn't matter whether it is run 200 hours a year or 20 hours a year, correct?
Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Hello!
I have had several of these exact Gennies over the last 25 years and have never ran a break-in. Honda runs them at the factory so we don't have to. The biggest worry is keeping the fuel in them fresh! You will find that they run a lot longer than you need them too and removing the excess fuel is a messy operation. Only fill as much fuel as you think you may need to use as a full tank will run over 10hrs.

Mark on your calendar a day every month of the year that you run it and charge something, your AS is a perfect candidate.

Happy Airstreaming!
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I was told by the dealer to have the valves adjusted after 50 hours of use. He included this service in the sale.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
There is no break in procedure for Honda EU2000i generators. No metal ever from the engines that i have used. Excessive long term storage may corrod the carb. And Stabilizer will help in that regard. But don't baby these Honda generators. They are made to be used. Just insure all oil changes are done properly. If you store them for the winter....just start them up for about 1 hr to flush the carb and cycle the oil. These Honda generators maybe more bulletproof Than a Ford Diesel. ☺☺
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
The Silver TARDIS

2018 30' Classic
Hillsboro , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
C) After the first few hours of running (no load), change the oil to remove the metal pieces produced in the break-in process.
I have seen recommendations to use one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XHTCG...0E6NNPPO&psc=0
BlueOx SwayPro 1506
Kevinshortnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
The FIRST oil change will be the most important one. Do whatever the manual says. Fresh fuel is the other critical need.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Honda 2000 break in

I do not run ethanol gas in any of my small engine equipment. I learned years ago after burning up a Still chainsaw on 2 month old ethanol gas. Still recommended mid grade non ethanol as the way to prevent it from happening again. I still have that second Stihl unit. I keep 20 gallons of non ethanol treated with Seafoam on advice from a golf course shop foreman who supervises green maintenance. They had bad luck with Stabil so switched to Seafoam. I run my gen every couple months for a couple hours hooked up to the trailer while running the AC.
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Synthetic oil also.

After a few hours of running my Yamaha 3000 gen, I changed oil with conventional oil. At 50 hrs. I switched to Amsoil synthetic and have run that for over 5 years. The gen still runs like a top.
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #11
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
I can't recall exactly how long we ran our's before draining/changing oil, not very long. It was very obvious that the drained oil contained small metal particles, very easily seen in sunlight
rbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am a big believer in magnets....especially in my engines which do not have filters. I also run FilterMags on my engines which have filters, including push and rider mowers. Honda gens have the magnetic plug. Always has metal particles on it at service time.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #13
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
Here's something that I found from Honda Power Australia:

How should I break in my EU10 generator?
Do not use the eco-throttle for the first few tanks of fuel and keep at least a 60% load on the unit until broken in.

The RU10i is the 230 Volt version of the Honda EU000i. Here's the link: https://powerequipment.honda.com.au/FAQ_Generators
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
After a few hours of running my Yamaha 3000 gen, I changed oil with conventional oil. At 50 hrs. I switched to Amsoil synthetic and have run that for over 5 years. The gen still runs like a top.
^
X2
12yrs 850 hrs...no issues at all.

The carb has a drain, if your so inclined...
For storage I start and warm up on petrol with the supply valve off, when it begins to stumble I flip it over to LP, let it run for 10min or so with the bowl drain open. Shut down add a few oz of fuel stabilizer to a full tank...SFSG.
I have found it much more convenient to have a dual fuel generator...
POI ...efree gasoline only.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09127.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	335694   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09205.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	335695  

Old 03-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Just run it

Don't think too hard on all of this. Change oil? Run it to warm, change the oil, restart while still warm. Break in? Just run it. They run better with a load than idling. They are meant to run constant with a load. Don't overthink all this nonsense. Just enjoy the camping. My opinion of course. Who has time to worry about something as benign as a Honda generator. Yikes.
1919 is offline   Reply With Quote