Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Thumbs down Honda eu2000i & Companion maximum ambient operating temp

With both new Honda's eu2000i & eu2000i Companion in parallel operation, I can maintain 125 volts with the A/C in operation on my 2005 Safari 25 ft. With both generators in Eco mode, of course, I would require to operate the Hondas out of Eco mode if additional appliances were turned on in the A/S. I monitor the generator output voltage with an expensive industrial rated digital Fluke multi meter. My question is one that the Honda dealer nor can phone calls made by his dealership to Honda Generator Corp. give me as to a limit on the generator's maximum operating ambient air temperature without shortage of lifespan or failure of the generators. They ask me why would I need that info. I plan on boon docking at Death Valley this year & I will need A/C provided by the Hondas. The ambient air temperature at Death Valley can attain over 115 degrees. Will the Hondas survive? I have been a WBCCI member since 1972 & this is the first time I have considered generators. I am an industrial refrigeration engineer but not a Honda rep. My dealer says that the Honda factory hasn't done any testing in this area. I find that very difficult to accept. Honda keeps their R&D phone numbers secretive to us consumers. Does anybody have any info on this.
Tom Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Interesting! I can't offer any advice but I will watch this to see where it goes.
I am guessing that any issues you have would revolve around engine temperature?
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Isn't there a member of these forums from Honda? Should be able to get an answer to a very reasonable question. I don't remember his name though....someone will...and perhaps you can send a pm. Good luck.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
It may be that the gennies are simply not tested at that condition, so there is not any data.

Much like air conditioning being tested/rated at 95/80/67, and values at other conditions are interpolated.

I work at an HVAC distributor and know that when specifying engineers call me for that kind of data, that we need to usually get the factory engineer to provide the data because it is typically not in the standard tech guides.

But maximum recommended run temp should be somewhere in the factory tech data. I think you will need to find a way to contact the factory tech department to get this information. End user info won't likely have this data.

Also see if there is any real-world experience of military use of the products. For the AC world, if the military needs a product that will meet its usage requirements then that product WILL work in the conditions you mention.

You might see if you can find a honda message board on the web and see if someone there can get to the answer.

As a practical matter, you might consider a shade tent/tarp over the gennies to keep the heat off of them, and maybe adding a primitive swamp cooler ice block and fan to blow on them during the heat of the day on occasion to cool them down, if you could spare the power.

And related thought would be the actual AC itself in the airstream, and it's ability to cool to a comfortable temp in those conditions. Again, a supplemental shade covering like one of those walmart car ports over the top to take the heat off the trailer may be worth considering.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #5
Aftermarket supplier
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Duncanville , Texas
I just sent that question to the honda guy that hangs out on different forum.
I'll post a reply if I get one

Jim
widgetwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I have use engines like these in temps up to 110 with out any trouble. I would switch to synthetic oil and probably not use the Eco mode over 100. Also use them in a well ventilated area and build a shade over them. (4 stales and some cloth).
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Dealer told me afew years ago when very hot they will be working very hard, better with 1 big generator...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:21 PM   #8
Classy Roscoe

Just a thought

You might consider drawing cooling air for the 2000's from under the AS. If you were to direct air flow to the 2000's from back to front of the trailer then to a Mylar tent over the generators, the shade of the trailer would be considerable cooler than ambient air and you may be able to drop a couple of degees to the air cooling intake and all would be well.

It would take some southern engineering to direct the air flow, but it may be enough to keep the equipment happy.

Again, just a thought.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Honda Generators are used world wide. I am pretty sure that they are common in countries much hotter than the US. I would not worry about it.

In addition, a change from 100 F to 120 F input air temp is pretty minor vs. the operating temp of the air cooled engine. We humans react to that change a lot, but an internal combustion engine does not.

At least those are my opinions.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Sorry I'm late

Honda does not publish a maximum, ambient, operating environment temperature specification for any generator models. In the dozen-plus years the EU2000i has been in production, I've yet to hear or read of any reports of one failing, or failing to operate due to high ambient temps.

Should be just fine, even in a harsh environment like Death Valley. Be sure the units are run in open, outdoor spaces, with at least 3-feet of clear, outdoor space on all sides. The slots around the control panel are were cooling air is drawn into the chassis, so keep them clear and open at all times for maximum airflow.

- - -
I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:39 PM   #11

Quartzsite , Arizona
I have to disagree here. If you're running generators in 115 degree temp for a few hours that's one thing, but running them 8, 10, 12 hours or more in that heat you're asking for trouble. I don't live far from death valley and we see temps around 115. People who haven't experienced have no clue how fast things overheat. The other day we had a power outage for 5 hours, but luckily it was around 9am and temp. never got above 103. I had a vehicle idling for 2 hours powering an inverter to keep light, fans, etc on, but had to shut it down due the vehicle (with less than 8k miles) overheating. Luckily I have a second vehicle I could run the inverter with. If it was 115 out it would have been overheating in less than an hour.

I have tried researching the gen overheat issue for a long time and couldn't get straight answers anywhere just opinions not based on tests or written material. I believe there is only 2 reliable options to solve the problem of longer run times in extreme heat as follows:

1. Purchase 2 generators instead of 1 (or 4 small ones if you're using the parallel kit) and only run for a maximum of 3-4 hours then power up the other unit and let the first one cool down for 3-4 hours while you're running the second one. Continue this rotation to avoid burning up the unit.

2. This is a better option because it will dramatically cut down on the noise at night: Purchase a generator that's 1000 true watts (not peak watts) more than you need to run your rig, then purchase a 5000 btu window AC unit from walmart or wherever, the smaller units this size are pretty cheap. Next make an insulated housing with plywood and 2x4's with a frame to support the AC unit. You will have to get creative with the exhaust by cutting a hole in the side of the plywood and putting a 4" metal vent pipe sleeve so your plywood is protected from the exhaust pipe. A 5000 btu ac only needs an extra 800-900 watts so you will plug it into one of the generator's receptacles and use the generators power to run the 5000 watt ac to cool the enclosure interior. Feel free to go with a bigger ac such as 8000 or 10000 for more cooling but then add 1200 watts to the gen size instead of 1000. (the better you insulate the less btu ac needed, however if you're dealing with 115 degrees the 10,000 btu ac would be better, and they're not that much bigger but double the cooling) The bigger issue is the extra weight which would require more support. Remember, the colder the better! Your enclosure will need to have a hinged top so you can open it to add fuel. I think this is the best/safest route to go and will be pursuing it myself.
firehot is offline   Reply With Quote