Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2021, 08:31 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
I call B.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking1 View Post
On Camping World's website they state that their generators were built in Thailand. No one else advertises/warns of their generators being built in Thailand. I used to live in Thailand and am very much aware of their faulty workmanship. You do not want anything built in Thailand. Thai people do not want a product built in Thailand.
I'm not buying it.

I own a Honda lawnmower (10+ years), 2 Honda 2200 generators (2+ years), and 2 Honda dirt bikes--all made in Thailand. The only maintenance I've done to any of them is change the oil, as recommended. All these things are bulletproof, even though I am extremely rough (borderline abusive?) on all of this equipment.

Honda knows small engines...

...no matter where they decide to manufacture them.

Don't just take my word for it. Millions of other satisfied customers have my same story to tell.

Honda cars, on the other hand, I hate with a passion. I've owned a 2017 Acura MDX that wouldn't stay running more than 3 days at a time. This vehicle was assembled in Alabama with a transmission made in Germany. Honda/Acura never could figure out what was wrong with this vehicle so they bought it back from me. I replaced it with an X5. Over the last 4 years, I've done nothing but annual PM visits and put new tires on this Bimmer.

By your logic, all Honda cars suck and nobody wants them--And all BMWs are perfectly assembled and run forever with no service repairs needed. A sample size of 1 is absolutely meaningless. Sometimes a lemon is produced, and you just happened to be the lucky winner. I am sorry you're going through this. But sometimes this just happens for whatever reason.

All that to say this: Honda generators are still the best of the bunch. There is no argument about it.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
All that to say this: Honda generators are still the best of the bunch. There is no argument about it.
I completely agree with your statement, that's reason that that I bought the generator in the first place. However, when something does go wrong after only four hours of operation, Honda Customer Service leaves much to be desired. And they know exactly how many hours are on the generator because I downloaded the App which forwards all data to Honda.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:01 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I don’t think it’s fair to write off an entire company or product line because one part failed on one unit. They are fixing the broken parts as per their warranty obligation.

I bought my two Honda generators used from a construction company that used them to power portable traffic lights, they had a dozen of them but were converting to solar.
They said they’d never had a Honda generator fail. Even that isn’t enough of a sample for me to decide if statistically Honda makes a good or bad product.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:18 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Well, I know my Champion 3400 Dual Fuel ran fine for 3 years before I sold it in December and got the new Honda 2200 propane model from Genconnex. Genconnex includes a 3 year warranty by the way. I thought I had an issue with the new unit when I first fired it up as it would not run my AC's when connected to the AS QD. I called Genconnex and they called me back each day for 3 days to check on me. They offered for me to send it back for a new one if I was not satisfied...(that's pretty good service!) Turned out the issue was the propane line from the AS line was not supplying enough fuel to run the AC load. On the separate 20lb bottle, it works as advertised. I know the Honda's have a great reputation...many of you have them; I have 3 close friends who have them also with the propane conversions, and no issues. My Honda lawn mower(s) always start right up and run forever...my Acura TL was a 2006 I bought new and it had 110,000 miles on it when I sold it..ran like new.. No issues with Honda...Anxious to see how your unit is taken care of...please keep us posted..
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:41 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeanFan View Post
I don’t think it’s fair to write off an entire company or product line because one part failed on one unit.
I looked through this thread and could not find anyone writing off Honda. Am I missing something?
Old 01-31-2021, 04:51 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Quote:
, Honda Customer Service leaves much to be desired. And they know exactly how many hours are on the generator because I downloaded the App which forwards all data to Honda.
I work for a company that distributes Honda Construction Equipment, including generators. I whole heartily agree that their Customer DOES leave much to be desired. They are one of the worst to deal with that we sell. It's seems that they could care less about their customers and their valuable time. They will not take back a lemon. It is up to us as a distributor of their product to make it right for our customer. We generally loose money when there is a problem like this that arises. We have to take it somewhere to get the repairs taken care of and it usually requires several trips to the repair place to get it right. Then we sell sell the repaired one as used.
Honda Customer Services is on the low side but in general they make a good product.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:29 PM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
DFW Airport , Texas
While we are all sharing irrelevant statistical experiences with Honda in the context of a segment at Honda that has to be meaningless in terms of its global contribution: I just installed a new engine in a 2006 Honda Minivan. Correctly installed, pre-oiled and with a sump pressure unit to make sure that the oil pressure was up before the engine fired for the first time (race car trick). It ran quietly for 30 minutes, normal temps, normal pressures, no leaks, and then seized. This is the 3rd installation I have done for customers with no issues. Don't know why it seized but its locked up solid and the crank cannot be rotated. Will start the removal tonight. The return freight cost is about 50% of the engine cost!
Vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . Two weeks ago I authorized the repair shop where it is now to rebuild the engine so they ordered parts from Honda. So far the parts have not arrived.
Please update us when convenient . . . thanks.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:00 PM   #89
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
The Honda shop just called me to say the generator was ready. But we also left for a two-week trip up the coast minutes before. It’s not worth turning around for at this point. I’ll report back in two weeks. I preferred to test the generator for a few hours at home before hauling in the long on a trip to possibly break down again.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:44 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update.

You know that Highway 1 has washed out just south of Big Sur? [Not sure what "up the coast" means for you.]

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ut-218926.html

Have a great trip!
Old 03-04-2021, 06:47 PM   #91
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the update.

You know that Highway 1 has washed out just south of Big Sur? [Not sure what "up the coast" means for you.]

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ut-218926.html

Have a great trip!
Thanks. We bypassed Big Sur by moving east to the 101 then back to the coast via Monterrey. It was smooth but windy sailing on up Highway One until another major rock slide just south of Crescent City sent us back inland to Mount Shasta. Seems like we had Northern California to ourselves because all campsites were empty. Guessing most folks did not realize that State Parks had opened up again.

We picked up the generator last week just in time for a power outage in Palm Desert. The Honda 2200 supplied power for twelve hours. I like the generator but not much good to say about Honda Customer Service.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:06 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update . . . glad the trip worked out!

What did they have to fix on the Honda?
Old 03-05-2021, 04:11 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
I am interested as well. What was the culprit?
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:40 AM   #94
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
The guy at the repair shop said he installed new valves and he was vague on what the cause was but was leaning toward contaminated fuel. He showed me a suspicious looking picture of the fuel that was supposed to of been drained from the tank and there was a lot of dark sentiment in there. That struck me as being odd because I used a brand new fuel can and there was only a gallon and a half used. Since then I reinspected that same fuel container and there was no sediment in there. I also drained at least a cup a fuel from the float bowl into a small white container and I saw nothing in there. I’m guessing that if in fact there was sentiment that the filter at the fuel filler cap would have caught that. We will probably never know but I suspect that the repair shop wanted to keep good relations with Honda by not saying it was a factory defect. Either way I’m happy to be done with that issue.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:45 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update . . . that makes sense.

Happy Trails!