Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Jackson , Oh
Honda 2200 gas or propane?

Have a 2018 23FB. Considering a Honda 2200 generator. Debating in my mind gasoline vs propane. Pros and cons of each?
earthdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Propane generator is more costly up front. Gasoline is a denser energy source so the generator will provide more power under gas than propane. Gasoline is smelly, and it ages.

The decision really depends upon your intended use. If only when camping with your trailer and you expect to run it a lot, then maybe propane. Or if you are carrying the generator in the back of a SUV. If you intend to use for camping rarely and other non-camping purposes, then probably better to leave it gas.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
I went propane only. Avoiding all gas issues of storage in gen and extra gas cans.
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
For the small incremental cost I chose both; a dual fuel. I have acreage so the gasoline is used when I work around the boundaries and basically rely on propane for the road.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Both...I always run petrol when using the Honda at home.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Propane for most use, gasoline if I have no other source of fuel.

Use of gasoline would result in a complete disassembly and clean out of the fuel system after the emergency is over. Gas residue gums up stuff rapidly if left to dry inside the assorted parts...especially gasoline with Ethanol in it (corn gas).
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Seneca , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Propane generator is more costly up front. Gasoline is a denser energy source so the generator will provide more power under gas than propane. Gasoline is smelly, and it ages.

The decision really depends upon your intended use. If only when camping with your trailer and you expect to run it a lot, then maybe propane. Or if you are carrying the generator in the back of a SUV. If you intend to use for camping rarely and other non-camping purposes, then probably better to leave it gas.
I saw a propane conversion kit from Hutch Mt on line and looks pretty good. that way you can use gas or propane. by the way went to buy EU2200 yesterday and they won't sell because of the recall. Any one know more about this?
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
I saw a propane conversion kit from Hutch Mt on line and looks pretty good. that way you can use gas or propane. by the way went to buy EU2200 yesterday and they won't sell because of the recall. Any one know more about this?
I saw a report about this on another forum. Apparently, there are some screws in the fuel system that can come loose causing a fuel leak and possible fire. I'd expect a quick fix and they will be back available for sale shortly.

Guess even Honda's aren't completely bullet proof.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
Park City , Utah
GenconneX

After considering all the options, I went with the GenconneX RV2 package. Not the cheapest, but easy and does exactly what I want.

Here's another thread about it:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ne-184963.html

Called them and they answered all my questions over the phone, I got it in a week or so and couldn't be happier.
NTSJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I bought two new 2000s in 2016 and immediately converted both to propane. Technically they are tri-fuel (gasoline, propane or natural gas) but they have only ever run on propane. For me, reliability is essential. No clean up and draining after use, I don’t miss whatever power I’ve lost, I carry 100 lbs of propane (two 30s on the trailer and two 20s in the bed of the truck) and no cans of gasoline, zero problems starting even after months in storage. Your needs and priorities may be different, but for me propane has delivered just what I needed.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:23 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
Champion makes a dual fuel inverter. You might want to check it out.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Gas or Propane

Champion dual fuel 3500. RV plug ready, electric start, runs everything with no problem. Yes, it weighs 95 LBS but that is no more 2 Honda 2000 or 2200 plus the gas to power them. Real nice folding handle and comes with wheels. Paid right at $1,000.00. (This was 1 1/2 years back, they are less expensive now) Never use gas. Carry it in my van when traveling. So far it has been rock solid reliable. Possible alternative to the Honda and then having to convert it to propane. I do carry a small 10LB propane tank for the genset and my Weber Q1200 grill. Happy travels.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #13
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We love our propane-fired Honda EU2000i Companion from Genconnex. Never have to deal with gasoline, just hook it up to the trailer, start it up, and let the power flow.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:46 PM   #14
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have run Yamahas converted to try-fuel by US Carburation for years. They say there is no loss of power with propane or natural gas and that is my experience too! They just use more gallons/hour. If you look at the size of the feed hose running from the regulator to the intake you will see why.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
I bought two new 2000s in 2016 and immediately converted both to propane. Technically they are tri-fuel (gasoline, propane or natural gas) but they have only ever run on propane. For me, reliability is essential. No clean up and draining after use, I don’t miss whatever power I’ve lost, I carry 100 lbs of propane (two 30s on the trailer and two 20s in the bed of the truck) and no cans of gasoline, zero problems starting even after months in storage. Your needs and priorities may be different, but for me propane has delivered just what I needed.
Have you experienced any issues with the spark plug? After running for quite a while, on the next trip our 2000 would not start on propane, only gas. It would run on propane just fine, after the rough running transition, but never started on propane.

I checked the plug and I believe that was the culprit based on the gray stuff it had on it from running. I have not yet tried to start it again at all, but I did get a new NGK Iridium plug.
bbdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
No issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdo View Post
Have you experienced any issues with the spark plug? After running for quite a while, on the next trip our 2000 would not start on propane, only gas. It would run on propane just fine, after the rough running transition, but never started on propane.

I checked the plug and I believe that was the culprit based on the gray stuff it had on it from running. I have not yet tried to start it again at all, but I did get a new NGK Iridium plug.
I've had no issues of any kind. I run these generators about 20 hours per year each. Mostly I run one at a time for battery charging, etc. Occasionally both for AC. They get an annual oil change and spend months in a Florida garage (hot and humid). Each has started every time on the third pull on propane whether it's the first test of the spring or a restart after a tank swap.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Propane for most use, gasoline if I have no other source of fuel.

Use of gasoline would result in a complete disassembly and clean out of the fuel system after the emergency is over. Gas residue gums up stuff rapidly if left to dry inside the assorted parts...especially gasoline with Ethanol in it (corn gas).

Add Stabill to your fuel and you will never have any worries.
And if you will not be using the Generator for a while shut the fuel supply off and let it run until it quits.
Been doing this with my gen sets for years never any startup or fuel issues.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:10 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Tumwater , Washington
Link to recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthdog View Post
Have a 2018 23FB. Considering a Honda 2200 generator. Debating in my mind gasoline vs propane. Pros and cons of each?

Check: https://rvdailyreport.com/industry/h...XEa76TMYFyFc8I

We have Honda 2000 that we converted to propane
Thorsondj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Add Stabill to your fuel and you will never have any worries.
And if you will not be using the Generator for a while shut the fuel supply off and let it run until it quits.
Been doing this with my gen sets for years never any startup or fuel issues.
20+ years ago, I picked up a 6000 watt open frame Honda. Gas only. Bought it because we were having regular power outages at home and wanted something that could power our water well pump - 220 volt. DW was NOT happy when she couldn't take her morning shower.
Over the time I've had it, I always put Stabil in the gas. Tank was always kept full.
I've rebuilt the carb once just over a year ago. It really needed an overhaul, some of the rubber parts were rotting...