Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
Neither has the RV style 30A plug. I have two EU2000s that I run with a Reliance kit (comes from Honda) that DOES have the correct outlet.
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
I guess I should say the EU3000 would have the right outlet but it's too heavy for me to pick up all the time...that's why the two EU2000s
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Go Twinkie! That's the answer to the original question.

The Honda EU2000 Companion has a common, industry standard 30 amp recepticle, but NOT a 30TT which is what we all plug into at campgrounds. It has the 30 amp 120 volt twist lock (I think it's a NEMA L5-30, but it's certainly a 120v twist lock). Therefore, you will need an adapter to connect your power cord to the Companion.

If a key decision criterion between your purchase of a standard or companion model is the need for an adapter for your 30 amp power cord... too bad... they both need one.

As for power output... the Honda EU2000 series (either model) are rated at 1600 watts of continuous output. The "2000 watt" model is called that because 2000 watts is the peak output. Using the formula volts x amps = watts,and solving for amps at 120 volts and 1600 watts, we calculate that the sustained amp output of a single generator is 13.3. The peak is 16.6 (at 2000 watts). So... the 26.6 amp pile on the companion is the two generators together at sustained 1600 watts or 13.3 x2.

If you look at RG416s pics, you may note that the "20 amp" recepticle is its rated capacity. It's actual output is at the top of the placard... "AC OUT 120v 13.3 amps".
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
If you never intend to have two 2000s and you are not worried about running your AC, just get the regular Honda and save about $100. If your needs change, you can always buy the Companion and the parallel cables later... You will need a 20amp to 30amp adapter to connect to your shore power cord.

We got a Companion first, knowing we would eventually get a second Honda 2000. And we got the parallel cables. We often camp with friends and knew that some of them have regular Honda 2000s ... and we could parallel our Companion with theirs in case we needed to use AC and have at least one party trailer! (The additional advantage of having a regular + a Companion is that the paralleling set up is much easier and less expensive... if you have two regular Hondas and want to parallel them, you have to use a parallel box which is more clumsy and costs more that the simple Reg+Comp cable.)

Yes, the Companion has a twist & lock 30-amp outlet (like the trailer end of your shore power cord) ...and you need a small adapter that converts the twist & Lock outlet to a standard 3-prong 30-amp outlet. (Like the power post 30-amp outlets in parks.)

Here are some pics to help illustrate:

The first two pics show the adapter needed for a Companion model...

The 2nd pic shows the business end of the Companion model ... with the red circle indicating the 30-amp twist & lock outlet...the green rectangles indicating where you connect the paralleling cables.

The last pictures shows a regular and companion model with the paralleling cables attached and the adapter in place...ready to accept your show power cable.

Hope this is helpful!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adapter RV Plug-in_Sm.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	280538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adapter Twist Lock Pulg-in_Sm.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	280539  

Click image for larger version

Name:	EU2000i Companion Gen_Sm.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	280540  
Attached Images

AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:39 PM   #25
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Correct, the EU2000I Companion has a 30A twist-lock socket, not the typical campground RV socket. We solved that via the neutral-bonding adapter I mentioned before. Needed that anyway, so we go from the generator to the aforementioned adapter and then to the standard 30A RV cord. Works great. If you go with the standard EU2000i, I expect it would be possible to plug a home-brew 20A neutral-bonding adapter into one of the two generator outlets, and the dog bone 20-30A adapter in the other socket, connecting that to the 30A RV cord. Either way should be fine.

Here's a really nice article on the concept, rationale, and practice for neutral bonding with generators and RVs: http://noshockzone.org/generator-gro...utral-bonding/

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
A bit off topic but relevant to your decision making on which Generator to purchase.

Many respondents are referencing the need for an adapter to use either Generator with your standard RV 30A shore power cable. A standard RV 30A shore power cable has a TT-30 male plug on the campground pedestal end and a NEMA L5-30R female twist-lock receptacle on the trailer end. The Honda Companion generator has the same NEMA L5-30R female twist-lock receptacle as your standard RV 30A shore power cable.

A standard marine 30A shore power cable has a NEMA L5-30R female twist-lock receptacle on one end and a NEMA L5-30P male twist-lock plug on the other. With this cable, you could directly connect the Honda Companion generator to your trailer without an adapter.

While, at first blush, not a cost effective solution or rationale, it makes more financial sense when one realizes the marine 30A shore power cable can also be used, with the addition of a coupling sleeve, as a superior waterproof extension for your RV shore power cable. You connect this extension cable to your standard RV 30A shore power cable at the trailer end rather than at the campground pedestal end.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Twinky is correct. Re which of the two models to buy/take along....if I need air conditioning, I'll have to bring both of my 2000s. If I don't need AC and I boondock I take my Companion for AS battery charging seeing how I don't need 2 120 AC outlets. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hondas sound like a lot of work plus you need two to get the power I get out of my 3500 dual fuel Champion. No adapters, no parallel connections, no LPG kit. Just turn it on and plug and play. Plus the added benefit of wheels and a pull up handle. Oh yeah, about half the cost.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:13 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
With the right inverter (a hybrid), and a soft start, you can easily run your AC off one of the Honda generators.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:39 PM   #30
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Thanks all - Very helpful to understand what was available. Standard Honda should work quite well for us. Someday, maybe a soft start, but temperate travel until then.

For you Champion fans. It's a good solution and we looked quite close, but it's heavier and we don't need the higher capacity.

I like the idea of using a marine cable, except, it's just a bit heavy to carry around for the few times we will use it. Bad enough to have to carry a generator. We use a 30amp to 20amp adapter on a regular basis, so that dog bone has a permanent home in the cubby. Believe we are covered and you all saved me $100.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
Hondas sound like a lot of work plus you need two to get the power I get out of my 3500 dual fuel Champion. No adapters, no parallel connections, no LPG kit. Just turn it on and plug and play. Plus the added benefit of wheels and a pull up handle. Oh yeah, about half the cost.
Ditto here :-)
Honda generators don't fit my KISS method of doing things.
My Champion weighs about 85 lbs. I figured once I get to the point where I can't lift that weight into the pickup I won't be able to safely travel around the country with a 30' Aisrstream either.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #32
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
KISS method.
One 46# generator seems less complicated than an 85# generator that is larger in dimension. It is not simply a matter of lifting, but also storage and limiting the moment in the load out. The simplicity of ordering direct through a local Costco is nice, but a phone call and delivery to the door ticks that box simply as well.

As quoted prior - reviewed it with true interest. It is not an appropriate solution for us. Hope you can lift that 85#s for years and years, because we want you safe when towing that 30. Pat
Old 02-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
frank, with your new inverter and lithium, one Honda will run one AC. That is my plan for warm/hot weather.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:53 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Ditto here :-)
Honda generators don't fit my KISS method of doing things.
My Champion weighs about 85 lbs. I figured once I get to the point where I can't lift that weight into the pickup I won't be able to safely travel around the country with a 30' Aisrstream either.
Haha, I'm 72 and am not able to lift 85lbs but still have a lot of fun traveling around the country. I really like the idea of a 2000 with soft start. Seems to make the most sense. -John
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
With the right inverter (a hybrid), and a soft start, you can easily run your AC off one of the Honda generators.
I have the same inverter that came with my 2005 Airstream International. Will a single Honda 2000 run my AC if I have installed soft start? -John
Old 04-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
John, I don't think It will. The hybrid inverters allow help with providing extra startup amps that are drawn from battery. I think most stock inverters don't have that capability.

Even my 2017 stock inverter couldn't have done that.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
John, I don't think It will. The hybrid inverters allow help with providing extra startup amps that are drawn from battery. I think most stock inverters don't have that capability.

Even my 2017 stock inverter couldn't have done that.
So, do I research hybrid inverters or just get dual 2000's or a champion? I really can't lift the champion and I want to use propane instead of gasoline. Also, does anyone know the price of an installed soft start? -John
Old 04-06-2017, 09:45 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Geisen View Post
I have the same inverter that came with my 2005 Airstream International. Will a single Honda 2000 run my AC if I have installed soft start? -John

Hi John. If you have an EasyStart on your AC, and a Honda 2000 or larger generator, you can easily start and run one AC, without regard to what inverter you may have. We do it all the time with one Honda 2000. (Maybe Lewster could contact you with an estimate of installed prices, as I understand from his posts that he is now a stocking dealer/installer.) Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #39
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Honda arrived and we've run it through a bit of break in. In that process, I noticed that it was a challenge to pick up and carry the generator. Initially thought the LPG modification had added more weight than expected. The shipping weight was 60lbs. A quick check on the bathroom scales identified the problem to be my aging arm and shoulders weight-o-meter. Scales show the generator with oil to be very close to 46lbs. So, for me even the light weight choice is enough to lift.

Not having to fill a tank with gasoline is quite nice. Venting the delivery line, however, takes more time than expected. Not unreasonable, but considering the plan to extend the line another 12 ft to meet the 15 ft separation from the coach, the process may be challenging.

All part of the learning process. Next step is a dry camp shake down.

Travel safe. Pat
Old 04-07-2017, 07:03 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Thanks, Pat. Keep us in the loop. -John