Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
Sebastopol , California
Help with Tail light and marker lights

Help!! I'm trying to get my new to me 58 Travler road worthly by next week. I ran into a wiring problem. The connection to the tow vehical was pinched, I went to make repair and found wiring insulation shot!! Touch it and it cracks ( It is almost 50 years old ). Does tail light wiring run under belly pan or through the walls. This is turning into a hugh project right out the gate. I was hopeing for a few weekend trips before resto. looks like I'll be doing majar repairs before first trip !!!
60's Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
I don't know if this will help or not. In my '65 the wiring runs under the floor in the belly area then up the walls from the bottom. You can most likely patch it together if you attach new wires somplace under the tounge area/front were they weren't exposed to the elements. Check the bottom for an access panel of some sort near the front. You could run new wires to there for the short term. Hopefully someone with a '58 will chime in !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60's Iron
Help!! I'm trying to get my new to me 58 Travler road worthly by next week. I ran into a wiring problem. The connection to the tow vehical was pinched, I went to make repair and found wiring insulation shot!! Touch it and it cracks ( It is almost 50 years old ). Does tail light wiring run under belly pan or through the walls. This is turning into a hugh project right out the gate. I was hopeing for a few weekend trips before resto. looks like I'll be doing majar repairs before first trip !!!
60's,

Are you just trying to make the trailer road worthy to tow home or to use for a while? If just to get home, purchase two tail lights at an auto supply store and run the wiring outside the trailer, tape up with aluminum tape, not duct tape and go.

I am still using this set up to move the Liner while undergoing rebuild.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Tail Light and running light wiring in my early 50's Flying Clouds is in the walls. The wires go up thru c-channel in the front then down the sides - up maybe 12" or 18" above the floor.

You can also purchase those temporary Tail Lights w/the magnetic bottoms that you set on your bumber. And then string the wires thru or on the side of the trailer to your Tow Veh. Plug - just to get by for a trip or two. With that short of a trailer I'm not sure the running lights are "critical" (although they may be required (legally speaking)).

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
Tail Light and running light wiring in my early 50's Flying Clouds is in the walls. The wires go up thru c-channel in the front then down the sides - up maybe 12" or 18" above the floor.

You can also purchase those temporary Tail Lights w/the magnetic bottoms that you set on your bumber. And then string the wires thru or on the side of the trailer to your Tow Veh. Plug - just to get by for a trip or two. With that short of a trailer I'm not sure the running lights are "critical" (although they may be required (legally speaking)).
Mark,

You are correct about the wiring, it is inside the skin on my 1954 Liner also. I have been using the temporary lights for over one year, in fact we towed the Liner from Tampa to Orange, CA last year. We don't have running lights, but then I do not tow at night.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:17 PM   #6
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
I concurr

My '57 FC is wired inside the walls running down the streetside.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:30 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Untill I fixed my wiring, I used these ,http://grote.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi...number=65402-4 . $65.00 , worked great.

Mark
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:58 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
Sebastopol , California
Thanks for the help

Thanks for Info. folks. I already have a set of magnetic lights, thats how I got it home. I was hoping to wire it once to the T/V for brakes. I hope the wiring inside the wall is in better shape. I'll get alook this winter when I replace the front floor. I hope it's the eliments that toasted the wire insultion and it is still good inside the trailer. I don't feel like taking out the walls just yet!
Greg
60's Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You should not have to get into the walls just yet. The "Pig Tail" that feeds from the tow truck to the trailer should have a temination block just inside the trailer at which point the wireing changes to the interior wires. It is common for the Pig Tail to degrade with the sun and time but the interior wireing should be OK. Change the Pig Tail.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote