Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
stuart , Florida
Help with solar...16.6!

Is there an easy way to disconnect the factory solar panels? My controller under my bed clicks constantly. I am hooked up to shore power with 100% battery charge! battery disconnect switch on store. Why is solar trying to charge my battery? The readout blinks green with a reading that goes up to 16.6v then goes back down to 13.7. I'm not sure what to do. I disconnected the blue Ethernet cable but that didn't help. Just reset display. I've blown 2 led lights already probably from volt spikes. Tried throwing towel over one panel but that didn't work either. Any suggestions besides taking it for service? I'm full timing in sunny south florida and will be here till December! Thanks!!
slvrlining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
stuart , Florida
Can anyone see this question?
Old 06-07-2016, 03:50 PM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
If you are truly getting 16 something volts,
There is something wrong and you are likely doing damage to your 12 volt electronics. I would find the connection from the controller and disconnect it untol you get this resolved.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Is your solar malfunctioning or is it your converter that is malfunctioning?

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
stuart , Florida
Not sure about converter. Pretty sure it's the solar controller. Dealer told me to pull out fuse from controller but I couldn't find it. Not sure which wire to disconnect, lots going into and out of box. I believe the yellow wires are coming from the panels according to the install booklet. I think the easiest thing for now would be to somehow cover both panels securely. Thoughts? Thanks....
Old 06-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Disconnect the yellow wire coming from the panels. You can also pull the fuse to the charge controller. Just make sure you cover the end of the bare wire with a wire nut and or tape.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote