Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #1

2006 25' Safari
Hot Sprinugs , North Carolina
Help--fried converter

A newbie mistake...just bought a used airstream (2006 Safari). Had it home less than an hour and had the bright idea to plug it into the 30amp receptacle that runs my dryer...oops 240 volt! Promptly fried my Parallax 7300 series converter/charger (55amp). Now, If I plug into 110 volt it sparks and throw the breaker immediately. Here is my question.. I want to pull this to the dealer to have a new converter installed. But, I'm worried that when I plug into my truck's 7 pin trailer hookup, it will react badly. (My setup charges the battery while driving--so I assume it is running power through that same "fried" converter/charger. ) But, I need to hook up the trailer wire so I can have brake lights, etc. Other thought is I'll just install the converter myself... can't be that hard as it appears to only be four wires. Thoughts? Help...
JustinL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
Industrialist

Alexandria , .
Talking 2006

2006 ... sounds like a warranty replacement is in order here!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It should go straight to the battery, with no real interaction between tow vehicle and converter, unless the converter is a pile of molten metal, in which case all bets are off.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
lewiston , Idaho
lookin back of book,should give you wining for plug(trailer and truck)disconnect the wires going to univalt at truck connection, think it is white and blue,better look for yourself david (silverbullet)
laurab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:15 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My fears are you probably will have some further damage to those appliances that operate directly off of the 110 volt circuit. Hunter Hampton owner of the Yahoo Airstream List had some electricians put in an outlet for her. When they saw the plug on the trailer, they mistakenly assumed it was a 230 volt circuit. If I remember right she also lost control boards on the refrigerator, air conditioner, microwave just to name a few things.

In her case the electricians paid for the repairs.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:34 PM   #6
_

. , .
hi justinL3

welcome to the forums....

great first question...but man i hate what happened.

you aren't the first to do this...or the last.

normally shore power via the converter will send power to the tow vehicle via the 7 pin...and even charge the tv battery!

so you are correct to be concerned, although if the tv is sending any juice into the trailer...it's 12 volt.

i agree with laurab...disconnect the converter. if you cannot figure this out looking. call the dealer or factory.

another option...and i don't know if this if viable or not...

does your tv have a 4 pin and 7 pin connector? mine does and i think using the 4 pin via a 4-7 adapter will still give ya trailer brakes and marker lights...

anyway you really should call either a competent dealer service shop or tech support in j/c....

of course you will need to tell them the truth...

they have seen this before and jack is right other 110 boards may be cooked.

the parallax is only 2-300 bucks...who knows what else you need....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:50 AM   #7

2006 25' Safari
Thanks everyone. I am picking up the converter today and hoping that it is my only problem. I think I'm OK as everything else in the trailer seems to run fine on just battery. But, I'll know better later today after installing the new converter. The installation looks easy enough that I'll do it... just four wires. I'll go slowly and if it looks too complicated...will tow to the dealer. What kills me is that we are scheduled to leave tomorrow morning for our first trip with the new trailer. A 3 week trip from Ft. Worth, Tx to Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Hoping we'll be good to go come morning...
Old 08-14-2006, 08:32 AM   #8
_

. , .
hope this works out justinL3....

i haven't changed a modern converter...
but it doesn't look complicated...

have you got a voltmeter/amperage mulitmeter thingie...

output from converter on the charging side should be 13.8-14v max....

also you can check the fridge, mwave, water heater and other items quickly...

good luck on the trip, take pictures...and share.

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:54 PM   #9

2006 25' Safari
Thanks... it is now installed and everything is working! Painful lesson but I think I dodged a bullet here. Off to Michigan in the morning. I'll update on the trip when I get internet access or when i return. Justin