Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2002, 09:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question HELP! Electrical problem

HELP! Electrical problem

Had a nearby lightening strike that turned my
security sys & radio sys on in the house...
It also blew the power to two outlets in the M.H.

I have shorepower to the MH to operate the trickle-
charger. Of the three outlets in the MH, two are
dead and one works fine.

I turned the MAIN switch ON and OFF several times.
Checked the fuses and they seem OK.
Plugged power-detector into all 3 plug-ins and one
indicates normal power and the other two zero.

What else should I check to reactivate those plugins?
CAn I fix this myself, or is this a job for a PRO?
Thanks for any advice. Bye. Francey
Old 11-11-2002, 09:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
HELP! Electrical problem

Greetings Francey!

A lightning strike can cause any number of problems. Have you checked the operation of ALL electrical components in the coach? I too had a lightning strike near my house that impacted both the house and my '64 Overlander. I didn't realize how much damage I had until I took the trailer out for the International Rally in Rapid City. Damage included wiring going to the Air Conditioner, two blown outlets, damage to the power converter, damage to the solar array on the roof, and blown bulbs (12 volt side) of many of the ceiling fixtures. If you haven't, I would suggest checking your coach's insurance policy for storm damage coverage, and then make a preliminary report to your insurance agent. The sooner you inform your agent, the fewer will be the questions if more damage appears when you fully check out the coach. Had I known then what I know now, I would have notified my insurance agent and made a bee line to my regular Airstream dealer for a thorough inspection of the coach. I counted myself as being quite fortunate that there was no serious damage to the newly installed 3-Way Dometic refrigerator, Coleman Air Conditoner, or Suburban furnace all of which have sensitive micro-circuitry boards.

Good luck in finding all of the quirks resulting from your encounter with lightning!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 04:40 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Unhappy HELP, electrical

Help, please...electrical...Lightening damage

Kevin: Thank you SO MUCH for that suggestion...to alert my insurance company. I hadn't even given it a thought! I called them at once.

This lightening strike damaged my house security system and the built-in radio system, as well as the motor home electric. When the lightening boom is instantaneous and you hear sizzle...that's not good.....<smile>

I will check the various ceiling lights in the rig tomorrow...What else should I check? I appreciate the good advice.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
HELP! Electrical problem

Greetings Francey!

The items that I would suggest checking would include:

1. Power Inverter/Converter. The nearby strike caused internal damage to my power converter that required a replacement circuit board. It would not produce 12-volt power nor would it charge the battery following the strike.

2. While it didn't damage mine, I would check the refrigerator - - electric operation as well as 12-volt if so equipped. With the newer refrigerators with the micro-circuit board controls a lightning strike could potentially blow out the board and defeat the automatic energy selector if so equipped. This same suggestion would apply to the water heater and furnace for the same reasons - - the micro circuit boards dislike sudden extreme changes in voltage or amperage.

3. Any stereo equipment should be checked for function as well as such things as the signal booster if your television antenna is so equipped.

4. The water pump probably should also be checked to be sure that it is properly cycling.

Basically, anything that uses electricity 12-volt or 120-volt AC should be checked for damage. With luck, hopefully there won't be many components damaged if any. Since my experience was with a travel trailer, I can't say whether there is any potential for problems with the coach chasis itself such as generator, ignition system, etc.

Good luck with your troubleshooting!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 05:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I had been in a car when lightning had struck very near-by...it blew out the radio attenna and the alternator of that vehicle...Have you started you MH or checked out the 12 vdc wiring and electrical systems?

best of luck...hope you find nine of these things as damaged.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
I have a 1975 argosy and the following all worked and now do not ????????? They are as follows the

range hood fan
light over the sink
galley fan
fresh water pump
light in bed room
i think all these are on the same circuit and i have a blown fuse -but were ---need help looked every were !!!!!!!

All the other lights work ????
I think it is a blown fuse , but can not find the fuse panel in this 1975 argosy ?????? Any ideas ????
Thanks
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
If you have a GFCI outlet (in bathroom or kitchen) be sure it has not tripped they also control other outlets.

If you have and Inverter make sure the circuit breakers have not tripped.