Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
Help - Adding Battery

My 1992 Sovereign came from the factory with one battery. I have located a battery compartment in a salvage yard and would like to add a second battery. Do I need to do anything other than wire these batteries in parallel? Will my existing charging system be able to handle the extra battery? I have searched the forums but I haven't found anything on this specific topic.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Mark
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
No problem. Just wire them in parallel.

Actually, I use an 8-position fuze block for my Caravel--two of them for the batteries. Then I can just pull a fuze (automotive flat type, easy to pull) when I want to disconnect one battery and only use the other (sort of an early warning system, or a usage rate indicator when I'm boondocking--then I have a good estimate of how long the other one will last).

Anyway, just remember you aren't starting a car with these batteries. You can use #8 or #10 wire--makes installation much easier.

One note of caution: If you're going to parallel your batteries, they need to have the same condition, eg, same use, same age. So you really need to buy two new batteries and install them together. If you don't, the less capable battery will quickly "damage" the other battery and you will get much less life out of it than you expect.

Your charger can handle both, if you have a modern charger. If the charging current is high, the charger/converter will self-limit the current. It only takes a few minutes, like one or two, for charging currents to drop down to the 20-30 Amp range. If you're concerned about max current, you can pull one of the fuzes and charge each battery separately if you've run them both down to a low level. If you discharge your batteries separately, you should charge them separately. I don't separate mine very often--too much to remember, too many steps to get right.

Remember, going below 20% charge significantly increases the chance you will damage a battery. I try to stay above 11.5 volts under load, but never below 11 volts.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Oakland , California
Dazed and Confused

Hey Roger (Led),

Thanks for all the great information. I'll consider adding the fuse panel - where in the wiring scheme did you put it?

On another note, I'm a Led Zepplin fan, too. I love the more recent CD "No Quarter" - awesome.

Thanks again,

-Mark
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
because of where my Univolt had been, the wiring all terminated in a small area, so I put the Intellivolt right there and the fuze block right on top (had to take the cover off and drill two holes). It makes for a compact installation and tight wiring runs.

Roger