Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
1Boyscout

2015 28' International
Edmond , Oklahoma
Question Heavy stiff shore power cords

Where can you find a power cord for my 2015 Intl Serenity 28 that is more flexible and not so heavy?
1Boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boyscout View Post
Where can you find a power cord for my 2015 Intl Serenity 28 that is more flexible and not so heavy?
Probably not anywhere. You need a certain size of cord to carry the current, and that cord needs a certain amount of insulation.

I'll use an extreme example to illustrate my point. Say you wanted to jump-start your car. You'd use a pair of jumper cables, right? You wouldn't use a regular household extension cord with alligator clips spliced on the ends. The extension cord would overheat and melt the insulation, and probably electrocute you.

The same sort of thing applies with shore power cables. The size of the shore power cable is pretty much standardized, same way that jumper cables are pretty well standardized. All 30amp shore power cables will be about the same as each other. All 50amp shore power cables will be about the same as each other. Because that's the size they need to be to safely handle the load.

The cord will get a little bit more flexible the more you use it. Not much, but some. But it will never get lighter, and that's just the way life is.

Now if you had an older Airstream, I'd say you have a chance, because insulation has improved over the years, even though copper wire is still the same old copper wire it always has been. But on a new Airstream, you've probably got pretty recent insulation design already.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
30 amp or 50 amp?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
heavy stiff power cords

If you want to make up the ends of the cord yourself. Go to a big box store and look for "SO" cord.
#6 2 conductor with ground for 50 amp
#10 2 conductor with ground for 30 amp
SO cord is very flexible and rated for the voltage required.
There will be 1 black conductor for the hot leg. 1 white conductor for the neutral. 1 green conductor for the ground.
Obviously the 50 amp cord will weigh more per foot than the 30 amp cord.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
you can't reduce the weight as that is a function of the current rating.

You can make your own using a more flexible SO cord from an electrical supply house but the cost of the ends and the cord will be over a $100.00.

Only camp in warm weather and it will be fine.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
50 amp requires 6/3 with ground, as there are 2 hot legs in a standard RV 50 amp service connecting into a split breaker box. Black and red are hot, white is neutral and green (or bare copper, which is NOT preferred) is ground.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Rubber insulated cord is much more flexible than the more common plastic (vinyl maybe) insulation which is stiff, especially when cold. You can get it sometimes at places like Home Depot, but it will not be cheap. And you need the plug end and maybe the other end if you have a connection on the side of your trailer. It will not be any lighter in weight, only more flexible at all temps. You would need #10/3 with ground (3 wires, hot, neutral and ground) for a 30 amp line and # 6/4 (two hots, one neutral, one ground) for a 50 amp service.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I used "SOOW" cable in the sizes mention above by Lewster and idroba...

Don't know how long the link will be up but found this:
SOOW Cord SOOW Cable (600V) | Wire & Cable To Go

The letters SOOW denote particular properties of the cable:
S for Service
OO for Oil-resistant insulation and Oil-resistant jacket
W for Weather and Water resistance.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
10/3 with ground is a 4 wire cable as I recall. 1 black; 1 red; 1 white; 1 green.
Only 3 wires are required for 30 amp service.
Not owning a coach with 50 amp service, I was under the impression that it was still a 120 volt service with a higher current carrying capacity. Is this the wrong impression?
I think there are some larger coaches that use 240 volt service. Which would require a 4 wire cable. With 2 hot legs.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:02 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Not owning a coach with 50 amp service, I was under the impression that it was still a 120 volt service with a higher current carrying capacity. Is this the wrong impression?
Number of wires has nothing to do with voltage, only with phases. Single-phase service is three wires. Three-phase service is four wires. Even at 120v.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
240 volt service is still single phase.
There are multiple types of 3 phase service. Two of the most common types are Delta and Wye.
Delta can been strictly 3 wire with 3 hot legs or 4 wire with 3 hot legs and a "stinger" for the neutral.
Wye is a 4 wire system with 3 hot legs and a center tapped neutral.
You will not find a power pedestal in a camp ground with more than single phase power.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Wow.

Quote:
Right here.

Amazon.com: ParkPower by Marinco 124ARV-25 RV Electrical Power Cordset (50-amp 125/250-Volt Receptacle with 30-Amp 125-Volt RV Straight Blade Plug, 25-Feet): Sports & Outdoors

I have one and use it often. It is a 30a cord, which makes it lighter and much easier to handle than the stock 50a cord. It works fine as long as you don't run both air conditioners at once or run more than two high-power appliances at once (either air conditioner, electric water heater, microwave).

I still carry my stock 50a cord and use it when appropriate.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
My husband made a 100 ft - 30 amp. I can barely even pick it up!
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #14
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
For those of you geeking out on this thread, some clarifications.

Flexible cord (type SOOW, SJOOW and so on) does not come in "with ground" or "without ground" forms. The ground wire is part of the conductor count. So 10/3 will have two current-carrying conductors (a black one for "hot" and a white one for "neutral") and one (green) ground conductor.

The "with ground" nomenclature is only used on building wiring -- type UF, type NM, and so on.

30a RV service requires 10 gauge cable with hot, neutral, and ground wires, so 10/3 is the applicable designation.

50a RV service officially requires 6 gauge cable with two hot, one neutral, and one ground wire, so 6/4 is the applicable designation.

All RV service is single phase.

One possibility for making the cable more manageable is to use 8 gauge cable, which has a capacity of 40 amps per leg. You would have to make up your own cable set if doing this, and it would be prudent to reduce the main breaker size from 50 amps to 40 amps. It is nearly impossible to exceed a 40 amp draw on either of the two hot legs, with an Airstream, while on 50a service.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
You must have 4 conductors for the 50amp.
The black is ONE "leg". The red is ONE "leg". The white is "neutral" for BOTH LEGS! The Green is "ground" and is SEPARATE from the "neutral" on RVs!!!!!!!

As mentioned above, do NOT "bond" /connect the White and Green. Do not tie in to the "bonding lug"
Inside the breaker box or anywhere else. This will trigger the "GFCI" if you have one (recommended).

You then must install a "220" breaker box (sub panel). Then rewire the box so "loads" are split across the "legs" of the Black and Red conductors.

I have posts here of my rewire. PM me or search.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I purchased the same 30 amp cord as Jammer. It is a great alternative to dealing with the 50 amp stock cord until it is needed.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
For those of you geeking out on this thread, some clarifications.

Flexible cord (type SOOW, SJOOW and so on) does not come in "with ground" or "without ground" forms. The ground wire is part of the conductor count. So 10/3 will have two current-carrying conductors (a black one for "hot" and a white one for "neutral") and one (green) ground conductor.

The "with ground" nomenclature is only used on building wiring -- type UF, type NM, and so on.

30a RV service requires 10 gauge cable with hot, neutral, and ground wires, so 10/3 is the applicable designation.

50a RV service officially requires 6 gauge cable with two hot, one neutral, and one ground wire, so 6/4 is the applicable designation.

All RV service is single phase.

One possibility for making the cable more manageable is to use 8 gauge cable, which has a capacity of 40 amps per leg. You would have to make up your own cable set if doing this, and it would be prudent to reduce the main breaker size from 50 amps to 40 amps. It is nearly impossible to exceed a 40 amp draw on either of the two hot legs, with an Airstream, while on 50a service.
I'll see your geek and raise you a half geek. RV/mobile home cords can also be 6/3 + 8/1, where the 8 AWG is the ground. Doesn't make it any lighter though.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I purchased a Marinco Park Power cord. They are available on Amazon. They are definately more flexible in cold weather. You will have to change the black threaded locking ring. The cord comes with both rings. I considered the cord Jammer suggests. It is a good option.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Number of wires has nothing to do with voltage, only with phases. Single-phase service is three wires. Three-phase service is four wires. Even at 120v.
Not trying to start an argument here because this has been covered before, but 50Amp RV service is not Three-phase, but split phase 240VAC.

It is used, however within most coaches, and all Airstreams that I know of, as two (2) 120VAC "legs". Some of the larger motorhomes that have washers and dryers use 240 for the dryer as I understand.

True three phase power has three hot legs.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Which 50/30 Power Chord?

I have located two power chords which go from 50 Amp female to 30 Amp male. These are the ParkPower by Marinco mentioned elsewhere, and the Conntek 14435 -25'. They appear to be similar, but the Marinco chord is $44.00 more than the Conntek. Has anyone used the Conntek? Is the Marinco worth the extra money?
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote