Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2021, 07:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I rarely use the heat pump. 95% of the time and regardless of outside temperature I use the 12v furnace whether on shore power or not.
Ditto. Heat pump is noisy. If you want to get warm, use the furnace.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:39 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
The furnace has external exhaust (also external intake for combustion) so should be no toxic fumes inside.

Although on older trailers the furnace should be checked occasionally to make sure it hasn't rusted through the fire box to cause this problem.

Propane does not emit 'toxic fumes'.

But it will reduce the oxygen levels so venting is needed, which, the furnace does outside. What is 'toxic' is a propane leak un-burned getting inside, which is why you have a propane detector.

When heating with propane inside, keeping a window open will help regulate moisture levels as some have said. Keeping everything closed up will make it worse.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post

But it will reduce the oxygen levels so venting is needed, which, the furnace does outside. What is 'toxic' is a propane leak un-burned getting inside, which is why you have a propane detector.

When heating with propane inside, keeping a window open will help regulate moisture levels as some have said. Keeping everything closed up will make it worse.
How does it reduce oxygen levels? Combustion air comes from outside. Do you open your windows at home when you run your furnace?
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Furnaces consume a lot of propane. A whole lot. I also set the furnace.on 61-63° and dress.for.the cold. Wool socks and layers. A Hoody inside to keep hands and ears warm gets my vote.
I use a hot water bottle under the blankets. Works amazingly well. If in bed or on the couch use a hot water bottle and and a blanket. I also use slippers in the trailer to insulate my feet from the cold floor.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:16 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
How does it reduce oxygen levels? Combustion air comes from outside. Do you open your windows at home when you run your furnace?
Hi

The only way you would get that is if you are running a catalytic heater in the trailer. They emit "toxic" H20 and CO2. In doing so they reduce the 02 in the air. Hmmm ... I wonder what other thing often found in trailers does the same thing ... only one I can think of would be the dogs ... I'll just hold my breath a lot ....

One thing I've noted about the trailer .... one would never ever call it hermetically sealed. There is *lots* of air exchange going on, no matter how hard you try to find and block all those holes.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:18 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post

OK- couple things to consider...if you want instant warmth, the furnace is best. If extremely cold out (freezing) this also will keep your pipes from freezing...sure it uses propane...but it works great. You can augment with a portable electric heater. If hummidity is an issue for you, don't open the window...use a dehumidifier...thats what we use for heating and also with the AC in humid climets. If burning propane is a concern, then get an extra 20# bottle or 2 of propane from Home Depot or your grocery store before you go. I have 2 extra bottles. Use one bottle till it dies, then turn on the other bottle. Use spare bottles when out, and you go to fill up the 30# bottles. This isn't that difficult, is it?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
On the subject of running the furnace while not on shore power the issue of battery usage is a consideration. The heat source is of course propane, but the fan uses a fair amount of electricity.

The only data I have is from the smaller (12,000 BTU) furnace in my 2007 Bambi. While the fan is running the power consumption from that furnace is 2Amps. How many amps you will consume in a day obviously depends on how often and how long the furnace is running.

We pack a small catalytic propane heater as backup.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I rarely use the heat pump. 95% of the time and regardless of outside temperature I use the 12v furnace whether on shore power or not.
I'm the opposite.
IF I'm on shore power, I use the heat pump. I'm paying for electric, why use my propane?

I will admit there's a downside to the heat pump, and that's the heat exits at ceiling level and stays there. The floor is chilly. Good to have a fan to circulate the air.
Both are noisy to run.

If I think about it, most of my bad habits come from having a motorhome first. Never open windows, never use the inverter, run the generator.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'm the opposite.
IF I'm on shore power, I use the heat pump. I'm paying for electric, why use my propane?

I will admit there's a downside to the heat pump, and that's the heat exits at ceiling level and stays there. The floor is chilly. Good to have a fan to circulate the air.
Both are noisy to run.

If I think about it, most of my bad habits come from having a motorhome first. Never open windows, never use the inverter, run the generator.
Hi

If the electricity is "free" why not? If you are heating the trailer while you are out and about. Does noise really matter? If they stay in the trailer, the dogs will sleep through the racket just fine.

Indeed if you want heat *fast* the answer is to turn on everything. Fire up both A/C units in heat pump mode and turn on whatever the propane system is ( ours is an Alde so it's technically not a furnace. It also will run on a combination of electric plus propane). Doing this *will* test that power pole to see if it's really a 50A feed

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote