Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #1

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Hard wired or plug-in Surge Protector

Neebie to the Air-life. Friend (retired United Airline mechanic) told me to for sure get a surge protector. He will wire it in for me (for beer). Any comments on advantages/disadvantages to either type.
Air-Hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I opted for a 30a portable......

Progressive Industries, Inc.
Electrical Management System
Operating Instructions for: Model EMS-PT30C Rated at 120V/30A
Manufactured by: Progressive Industries, Inc. 414B Airport Boulevard Morrisville, NC 27560 (919) 462-8280
www.progressiveindustries.net

Proudly manufactured in the U.S.A.

......very well made, weather resistant with all the features I felt were necessary.

Bob
Old 02-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you feel one is necessary (I do not) the wired in ones have far more capacity to absorb jolts than most plug in ones.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
I got the Progressive Industries 50a portable

EMS-PT50C

I opted for a cable to secure the portable surge / voltage protector. Cables only help with opportunity type thefts. Most people in campgrounds are pretty honest. A hard wired voltage protector would be a more secure option, but I liked the portable unit with display. If you are going to be buying a surge protector -- make sure you get one with the voltage protection.

The Progressive Surge Protector with Voltage Protection saved my brother's rig a couple of weeks ago. He was in a state park and the voltage protector kept shutting off the power to his trailer. A guy in the park had a volt meter and found that the voltage was coming in at 170 volts.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #5

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Thanks guys. I'm certain that an airlline mechanic is a little more particular about "surges" than the typical camper. The consequences are probably more severe at 35,000 feet. I'll probably have him wire it is as I plan on keeping the trailer for many years.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think they do the same job.

The portable could be stolen or (oops) left behind.

If the hard-wired unit burned out protecting the trailer, you're without power until it's fixed.

There was a story that the hard-wired units could overheat to cause fire inside the trailer if protecting a lightning strike. Anyone have the facts on this?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
How about an almost hard wired unit, mount it safely inside and have only the cable not protected. Hanging a piece of electronics on the utility pole is inviting problems, whether it is forgotten, removed or damaged by weather.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
Surge Guard

I have used the portable 30 amp Surge Guard by TRC. I also use the universal lock hasp to deter theft. Since the surge protector locked to my power cord there is less changes to forget it when we break camp.

glsBigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Hed View Post
Thanks guys. I'm certain that an airlline mechanic is a little more particular about "surges" than the typical camper. The consequences are probably more severe at 35,000 feet. I'll probably have him wire it is as I plan on keeping the trailer for many years.
Have you picked a unit out yet?

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I use the cord end unit with the hasp lock in post #8, so it can't be forgotten. I also wrap a bike cable lock tightly around the power pedestal above and below the hasp so, unless the cord is cut, it is not easily stolen by the casual passerby.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I think they do the same job.

The portable could be stolen or (oops) left behind.

If the hard-wired unit burned out protecting the trailer, you're without power until it's fixed.

There was a story that the hard-wired units could overheat to cause fire inside the trailer if protecting a lightning strike. Anyone have the facts on this?

doug k
Here is a post I made on it. Unfortunately the link to RV View magazine no longer works. In that situation, a couple had been sitting in their RV when lightning struck nearby, and they smelled something and realized that their surge protector was on fire. They put it out with an extinguisher. The letter was framed as a victory, and apparently a CW in Tennessee or somewhere like that has it mounted on the wall to demonstrate how great they are. Sure, it saved their appliances, but only because they happened to be there when it hit - if they were out exploring, they easily could have lost their entire camper.

The argument against my comment was that a fire could occur when the surge hits the appliances. Perhaps that's true, but the only fire the letter writers reported was their own, from the surge protector itself. Sure, other people lost microwaves, air conditioners, etc., but I'd still rather have to replace a couple of my appliances than have a fire in my Airstream.

So, my suggestion is that if you're getting one, get one that plugs in at the pole and don't permanently mount it in the camper.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
How about an almost hard wired unit, mount it safely inside and have only the cable not protected. Hanging a piece of electronics on the utility pole is inviting problems, whether it is forgotten, removed or damaged by weather.

?????

Don't the new units have an "extension" shore power cord?

Wonder if theres room to plug the portable SP inside the compartment?

Bob
Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Ultimately, a surge protector is sacrificial. Most are good against ONE surge, and then needs to be replaced; very few will provide protection against multiple surges. For me, it's a no-brainer; portable is easier to replace once it's been fried while doing its job.

Get one that's UL-1449 Type 1 or Type 2 rated for at least 1000 joules, but a higher joule rating is better.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #14

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Thanks to all for the input. I think I will go with the plug in and some type of security lock, although I have never had anything stolen in a campground (probably just lucky, or the NRA sticker on the trailer). Makes sense if there is any ype of problem with the unit that the plug in is "safer" and easier to remove/replace. These forums are a great source of help for us new kids.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
In 40 years of camping (between childhood with parents and as an adult) I've never had anything stolen either.......but it does happen.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
I use one made by Progressive also that is portable... I thought it was just another expensive bothersome thing to carry around until our last trip to a GA state park and it discovered that there was "Reverse Polarity" on the post and wouldn't allow that Airstream to power up.... I understand that in addition to possibly getting shocked on the skin of the Airstream that "Reverse Polarity" is not so good for the converter etc... Maybe it was well worth the $300 or so that it cost
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
In 40 years of camping (between childhood with parents and as an adult) I've never had anything stolen either.......but it does happen.
Campers tend to be aware of their own vulnerability, and so practice the "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you" mentality moreso than the general population. When I was camping at Lake Dardanelle last year, a camper accidentally left behind his portable satellite dish the day after I arrived. Several days later, he came back for it, and found it right where he left it, still set up but not plugged into anything. No idea why it took him so long to realize he'd left it behind, but at least he got it back.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I've noticed campers seem to generally look out for each other a little more than we do in our "regular" lives as well. Not sure why, but......

Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We once owned a new fiver, and the built-in surge protector was supposed to be transferred to the new unit. The transfer did not occur. We plugged into the utility pole in a very reputable CG and blew up $5000,00 worth of wiring electronics in the unit! ( Yes, the breaker was off when we plugged in)

Now we use an in-line surge protector with a locked hasp to prevent theft.

And before plugging into any CG utility pole, I double check the pole wiring!!!! ....for polarity, etc.
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Question, how do you determine whether to get a 30 or 50 amp?