Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 04:24 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Ham radio install question

I recently installed an Icom 7100 in our 19FC. I mounted it under the street side dinette seat and hooked the power directly to the buss strips that are wired to the batteries. This unit has the dinette in the front so the wires going from the buss strips to the batteries is reasonably short.

The instant I start to transmit the fan on our WFCO converter / breaker panel starts up. It stops the minute I quit transmitting. Iím on shore power and my Victron meter does not show any appreciable drop in the DC voltage level.

Is this normal behavior or am I putting unacceptable stress on the converter?

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
FYI there is a sub-forum which includes Ham radio:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f452/

There may also be some good info there IMO.

Does your radio's manual have any specs on its current draw when transmitting [vs. on standby]? Guessing that your converter is sensing that higher amp draw, and proactively turning the fan on? What model is the WFCO converter?

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The Icom 7100 is a 100 watt radio. Thatís about 22 amps on transmit. The converter fan is coming on to handle the load. Normal.

My FT-857 does the same thing. It wonít hurt the converter.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:19 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
that's not bad;in my 70 globetrotter ,every time i transmited(ft897)the bl tank monitor said i was3/4 full of crap. it's one thing for people to tell me that but another for my trailer to say it! 73s kurt
ke6gkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ham radio install question

Probably a good idea to be darn sure your SWR is low, equipment is well grounded, and there is no stray RF getting back into the system...anywhere.

Note that I recently scrapped the WFCO single stage converter and installed a new 4-stage boondocker unit recently. That may have changed things. I am powered directly off the positive and negative bussbars from the batteries with a West Mountain distribution strip in the line.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:36 PM   #6
Mad Scientist

2017 23' Flying Cloud
CULPEPER , Virginia
I usually carry along a few "spare" LARGE batteries which I connect to the 12 V buss. Quite often boondock for Field day in my AS ( new one is a 23' FC- old one was a 19' BAMBI with solar panels). Before we had the AS- our RV was an old VW Eurovan camper-in which we would boondock in NOrthern NM ( up to 11,000 ft) with just a small solar panel. At that altitude- with a good antenna- a few watts was enough for a good field day. Hope to be back out this year for Field Day somewhere up in the Blue Ridge and boon-docking with full solar. Still have the VW- so if XYL doesn't want to go along- my son and I will just take the VW up to the mountains for field day.

KE5IRZ
samletz is offline   Reply With Quote