Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
TAC OH-17

1994 34' Limited
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Ground Short???

So here is a story for you...I was putting the new Hensley Hitch on Belle...our 34 rb classic...and I noticed that the pigtail was going to be too short. I went to the RV place and bought a new plug and ten foot of pigtail wire. I spent today feeding the new wire thru the box frame and into the cabin. I WAS going to run new all the way to the control panel... but ten foot was not enough..so I just spliced the new pigtail to the old one under the couch. Then I decided to switch gears and finish the work on the Hensley. While I was on the ground checking hitch connections I happened to touch the toungue and received a shock. I touched it again...and yup...got shocked again. I was puzzled because all I did was splice in the new pigtail to the old...red to red white to white and so on. I went back inside still trying to figure this out...not being an electrical whiz kid...and absently started putting the control panel cover back on.(I took it off to see better inside) As I was putting in the bottom right screw I got sparks behind the panel........... Any guesses as to what is going on here? I could use some help. The hitch is on...but the couch is still out and the cover for the control panel is still off.. Any help is good....or refer me to a thread that would help????? Thanks
runningbarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
A couple of questions:
  1. The pigtail is the 7 pin connector that goes to the TV?
  2. Your trailer is plugged into shore power?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
TAC OH-17

1994 34' Limited
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Ground short???

Yes...the pigtail is what goes to the TV (I am an old semi driver...that is what we called them). I only noticed the problem when hooked to shore power. when I unplugged everything seemed okay
Old 09-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi runningb'

more questions...

1. did you fiddle with the tongue jack wiring "bundle" that's on the tongue?

2. during the haha install or while replacing the pigtail?

3. either near the lp tanks/cover OR under the tongue?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
TAC OH-17

1994 34' Limited
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
2air,
Huh? Explain wiring bundle on tongue
Old 09-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Sounds like the problem is not related to what you are doing, but you never know. Normally a hot trailer is because it is not grounded or you have reversed polarity. I would check the outlet you plug the trailer into first.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you are receiving a shock when you are laying on the ground touching the trailer, you are providing the ground for the trailer with your body. Not a good thing. If you feel a voltage it is more often than not a AC voltage. Dc does not give you the same kind of tingle. For sure the trailer is not properly grounded by the stabilizer jacks or ground wire in the ac power supply cable. Plug in one of those cheap testers in the outlet you are using to power the trailer. It will immediately tell you if the outlet is good. Then plug that tester into one of the outlets on the inside of the trailer. That will tell you whether the problem is in the trailer or in the house power supply/ or the extension cord you are using to reach the trailer. In any event get someone who is electrically smart to fix it before you really hurt yourself.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningbarre View Post
...Explain wiring bundle on tongue
with pictures and a 1000 words...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...1&postcount=14

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...0&postcount=38

i'm just wondering IF/while installing the hitch and working on the pigtail wiring...

the 12v tongue jack wire was violated.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:39 AM   #9
TAC OH-17

1994 34' Limited
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
2air,
I now know what you mean. I do not think one of those wires was damaged but I will look them over carefully. John