Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Gray , Tennessee
Grey wire??? Fuse panel

Does anyont know what the grey wire on a 1976 overlander's dc fuse panel goes to? The schematic says power-on light. Is there a power on light somewhere that i don't know about? It's strange because the schematic doesn't have wire coming off the bottom of the terminal. Mine has a wire that was cut and dangling. It's the last fuse in the first block of 20 amp fuses. It has me scratching my head.
izzyashdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The original Univolt had a power on terminal which went through a small fuse, like one or two amps, and to a light on the main panel which came on when the power was turned on to the Univolt, usually when the trailer was just plugged in. By main panel, I mean where the switches are for the pump, and indicators for the tank levels. It told you that the 120 volt connection had been made and the Univolt was operating.

If the original Univolt has been replaced, usually that light becomes inoperative as the new power converter/chargers don't have the special connection needed to make it light.

Mostly no one worries about it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
The original Univolt had a power on terminal which went through a small fuse, like one or two amps, and to a light on the main panel which came on when the power was turned on to the Univolt, usually when the trailer was just plugged in. By main panel, I mean where the switches are for the pump, and indicators for the tank levels. It told you that the 120 volt connection had been made and the Univolt was operating.

If the original Univolt has been replaced, usually that light becomes inoperative as the new power converter/chargers don't have the special connection needed to make it light.

Mostly no one worries about it.
This circuit is called the "shunt". If you are interested in it, look in the Search, there's plenty of info on how to deal with it if you have removed your Univolt.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
This circuit is called the "shunt". If you are interested in it, look in the Search, there's plenty of info on how to deal with it if you have removed your Univolt.
The shunt circuit is a different thing from the "power on" light circuit. It is used to measure the + or - amps in or out of the battery on the older Airstreams. It is an ammeter circuit, using a shunt built into the old Univolts so only a small amount of current needs to be run to the actual meter in the control center.

So, actually there are two small wire circuits that feed information to the display/control center. One is the power on light, the other is the one for the ammeter fed from the shunt.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Yes, you're right. All I really remembered is this:

no shunt (or circuitry to replace it) = no tank gauges

I forgot about the tank gauges a long time ago, so those little circuits never found a good storage place in my memory
Old 09-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Gray , Tennessee
Thanks! This makes perfect sense!mystery solved.
izzyashdown is offline   Reply With Quote