Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 06:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
San Ramon , California
GPS Selection

Good Morning Everyone,
We are looking at purchasing the GPS for our autumn adventure.
Wondering if anyone is using the Garmin RV 760LMT?
We are leaning towards the 2597?
Opinions?
Kalidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
San Antonio , Texas
What did you end up purchasing? I too would like to hear about the GPS units people use and like for rving.
kstewart23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstewart23 View Post
What did you end up purchasing? I too would like to hear about the GPS units people use and like for rving.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ps-138405.html

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
San Ramon , California
I ended up going with the Garmin nuvi2509. Based on the reviews I was able to find online.
Purchased it from Costco.
Kalidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
You want a machine that will talk to you while you're in traffic, and the only thing you need to do is glance at it to see which exit lane you need to be in. It's also nice to be able to hit another "where am I" button and watch your elevation and record the Lat Long when you get out there where there is no roads.
After a few awkward trips around the Bay area with just an address, I went into the Costco at home, looked at all the units they had and chose the Garmin that talks, nuvi 2595

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my previous GPS was a Garmin 1490; and we named her Georgette. Georgette first got us through our Alaska trip and did a pretty good job. For the trip we are on now, [Oregon to Maine, so far] I bought a Garmin RV 760; We named her Caroline. Although both ladies have made mistakes, We like them both. Georgette will stay with my Lincoln which has been retired from towing. Caroline will stay in my new [2014] F-150. Caroline is way smarter, helpful, and informative. I also like the fact that Caroline can function well in car mode or RV mode. An RV GPS has so much more to offer and after getting used to the different way she works, she is actually easier to use, with the exception that she has more choices to chose from. I highly recommend an RV GPS for traveling; Probably any brand, but I like Garmin.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
We have the Garmin Nuvi 2597 LMT. The features of this GPS are very nice. On the right side you can have the "up ahead" bar and can choose to display any 3 of several choices. I usually have Rest area, Gas and Food. These will tell you how far (on your route) to the next one of each of these. You can touch one of these (like gas) and it will display the different stations up ahead, with distance, and you can touch one of them to add to your route.

On the bottom right is a display box with the choice of distance or arrival time to destination or via point (multiple stops on your route), compass, elevation and other data. There are 2 trip data displays, just touch the current speed box and it will provide information about your trips A and B. Touch the top bar (next turn bar) and the entire trip pops up with turn by turn steps.

When you come to an Interstate exit the screen splits and you are shown the road, number of exit lanes and visual/vocal information on which you should be in. (This is really nice). In some cities this is now offered for the entire time, not just on the exits, so you see the lane you should be in when just driving along.

All in all, there are a lot of very nice features, I have been very pleased with them. For directions it's OK but I also use my phone app Waze. This gives me better directions and information about the road ahead (traffic, accident, objects in road, police etc.). If Waze tells me to go left and Garmin tells me to go right, I go left. Garmin has taken me down some very narrow roads and once left me in the middle of the Daniel Boone forest. That's when I started using Waze too

If you have a smart phone I strongly suggest you try the (free) Waze app. One of our local TV stations even gives its traffic updaes using Waze. Updates to road conditions are provided by other drivers in real time so your display is constantly updated. It's the best free app you can have, IMHO.

The 2797 has a Blue Tooth connection for your cell phone. The speaker is so small that with any noise at all you can't hear the caller. They can hear you perfectly but even with the volume up full, on the Interstate, I can't hear them very well. I don't use this feature anymore.

The 2797 has lifetime maps and traffic updates. Traffic is from the Internet so not exactly current but you can pay for an added feature that provides faster updates. Update your maps from your PC or Mac.

Would I buy it again? Yes, but I wish the routing feature was better. Setting the road type preference does nothing as far as I can tell. In my own neighborhood it wants to take me a couple miles out of my way to get to the Interstate when there is a ramp much closer. But I do like all of its features, very handy.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:39 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

I have the Garman 760 LMT and really enjoy it. I update it periodically. I have not mounted the rear camera for the trailer yet but will try to do so over the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Perker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Updates to road conditions are provided by other drivers in real time so your display is constantly updated.
Hopefully not by the other drivers texting while driving!
Old 09-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Anyone know if the Garmin RV GPS will tell which gas stations are RV friendly (i.e. easy to negotiate with an RV), and which have diesel?

We currently use the "Next Exit" book to get that info when on the interstates, and it is very handy indeed. It would be even handier if the information were in our GPS so we wouldn't need the book as well.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Hopefully not by the other drivers texting while driving!
It's not texting, but close enough. The reports are supposed to be done by the passenger but there's nothing there to stop you. If I'm stuck in traffic I'll report that, nothing when I'm moving. The OK/Not There is just a single screen touch. If there's no traffic around me I'll confirm. (see below) You can create groups of your friends and share information etc.
You press on the bottom right corner and a matrix of options pops up (Accident, police, road hazard) and you pick one of those boxes.

It will ask for more detail (your side, other side, picture, etc.) but you can just press OK/Submit and it will take what you provide.

As you drive along, if there is something being reported (stalled car, object in road, police) it displays a pop-up asking OK/Not There choice and the decrementing distance to the alert. You can choose one by pressing or just ignore it and it goes away.

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perker View Post
I have the Garman 760 LMT and really enjoy it. I update it periodically. I have not mounted the rear camera for the trailer yet but will try to do so over the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hi, mine also came with a rear camera; I also will mount mine later.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-12-2015, 08:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I've got the 760 and the camera is the best part. While I like the GPS, I found myself becoming to dependant on it. So now I somwhat underutilize it, using a map to make the route and the GPS to just make it easier. The camera is awesome however.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I've got the 760 and the camera is the best part. While I like the GPS, I found myself becoming to dependant on it. So now I somwhat underutilize it, using a map to make the route and the GPS to just make it easier. The camera is awesome however.
Hi, I would like to know how and where you mounted your camera and sensor. Pictures would also be great.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I used the camera mount top center on the license plate, I recall there were optional screws which I did use. Then I snaked the wires under a trim cover on the bumper, entered the truck just below the rear lights on the right side and powered it from a reverse light. The transmitter is in a side compartment with the tire jack. Works great even with the distance as it is in an Excursion. The video isn't exactly high def but it works well to like up the Propride. I will post photos of I can this weekend.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #16
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I've looked at several threads on Air Forums as well as other RVing sites and decided to purchase a Garmin RV 760LMT. For those who are looking and don't know much about GPS model numbers... this Garmin unit is for RVs as indicated my the model number. It also has Lifetime Maps and Traffic (LMT) updates. I think 760 refers to the screen size - 6 inch, 7 inch?

The unit has not arrived yet and I haven't even seen one in person. I'm not sure I want or need the RV feature but we'll see how it works and I'll respond to this thread. We can generally tow our Airstream almost anywhere a car can go so I'm not sure what to think about RV features.

With my personality I'm sure to be unhappy about something on this GPS. For starters, all GPS units seem to want me to define the address in a "backwards" manner. Why they don't work similar to the apps on a smart phone I don't know. So I'm hoping with this unit there are at least few things to be unhappy about.

The only reason we need GPS is we've found ourselves in many remote areas that don't have reliable cell phone coverage. The more we travel the more I realize remote doesn't have to be very far from civilization. In fact, sometimes it simply means our cell phone provider doesn't have towers in the area while the other carrier has plenty of towers. I guess it's not always lucrative to have both AT&T and Verizon towers in rural areas with only a few thousand people living in the region.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I've looked at several threads on Air Forums as well as other RVing sites and decided to purchase a Garmin RV 760LMT. For those who are looking and don't know much about GPS model numbers... this Garmin unit is for RVs as indicated my the model number. It also has Lifetime Maps and Traffic (LMT) updates. I think 760 refers to the screen size - 6 inch, 7 inch?

The unit has not arrived yet and I haven't even seen one in person. I'm not sure I want or need the RV feature but we'll see how it works and I'll respond to this thread. We can generally tow our Airstream almost anywhere a car can go so I'm not sure what to think about RV features.

With my personality I'm sure to be unhappy about something on this GPS. For starters, all GPS units seem to want me to define the address in a "backwards" manner. Why they don't work similar to the apps on a smart phone I don't know. So I'm hoping with this unit there are at least few things to be unhappy about.

The only reason we need GPS is we've found ourselves in many remote areas that don't have reliable cell phone coverage. The more we travel the more I realize remote doesn't have to be very far from civilization. In fact, sometimes it simply means our cell phone provider doesn't have towers in the area while the other carrier has plenty of towers. I guess it's not always lucrative to have both AT&T and Verizon towers in rural areas with only a few thousand people living in the region.
Hi, I have this GPS and love it, but there is one thing sure to upset you.
When you decide to not follow her directions and take a different route, she doesn't start yelling "RECALCULATING".
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #18
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
I received the RV 760LMT yesterday. I downloaded the latest software and maps last night and used it for the first time today.

It's already done something that annoys me - had I followed it's directions I would have been routed to an alternate freeway exit that would have necessitated a second set of "merges" in order to enter the upcoming freeway. The GPS was clearly in conflict with the longstanding DOT direction signs that have existed for years, in conflict with common sense and would have made me merge two more times (the proposed route was following a service road of sorts) rather than simply following the most expedient route and merging once onto the upcoming freeway. This is exactly what I want to avoid when towing the trailer. Clear as mud I'm sure but I'm really annoyed!

Second major annoyance is the fact that this map is almost exclusively for city streets. It has very little definition for parking lots, small side streets, alleys, etc. It appears it will have very little definition, if any, for forest service roads, state park campgrounds, etc. Arggh!

I also realize now that lane assist is a joke. I was traveling on a 5-lane interstate and it indicate visually and audibly that it was appropriate to be in any one of the five lanes even though the exit was less than 1 mile ahead. Had I been in the left lane, towing a trailer and then needed to move all the way to the right in less than one mile I would have been livid!

I'll try using it for another day or two but it may be returned.
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 07-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Did you load in your RV profile during setup? I have the Garmin 760 LMT as well and the lane assist works just fine. Agree with previous posts that directions aren't always perfect, it pays to keep alert. But it talks to us, the speaker is plenty loud enough, and the large 7 inch screen size is great. The screen brightness is adjustable, but it automatically tones down as it gets dark outside. Highlights upcoming RV Parks and Campgrounds, propane, dump stations, gas stations, and restaurants. Warns us when we may be headed where we can't turn around. Does not tell you if the gas station is large enough for your rig. We like the unit overall.

I bought it with the backup wireless camera. Have had zero problems with the wireless transmission. View is a little fish eye though, you have to get used to it. Mounted it on the back of our 25FB on the license plate. Ran the wire inside the large back window, around the edge in between the glass and the screen held in place with wire guides. Exited at the top, drilled a hole in the upper storage cabinet by the side light. Wired a toggle switch into the lighting wires and mounted that next to the electrical outlet in the media cabinet. This allows me to turn it off when not in use so I don't have a constant battery drain. I can unclip the camera and store it between the glass and screen when in storage.

I would buy it again.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:47 PM   #20
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
I've decided to start a new thread since I'm coming at this GPS matter from a slightly different perspective.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...ml#post1821360