Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2021, 11:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
San Diego , CA
GFCI question

1961 Overlander. One 30A connection feeds two 20A breakers. One 20A breaker feeds the A/C and several lights and outlets. The other 20A breaker feeds the fridge and a few more outlets.

When I plug into my 20A outlet in my garage, the GFCI pops immediately.

If I turn off the Fridge breaker, the GFCI won't trip - I can use the outlets and the A/C.

I could tear apart all the remaining outlets and the fridge and see if something is mis-wired, but could this just be the GFCI being too sensitive? Anyone want to come over and plug it into a non-GFCI outlet and see what happens?
photomikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:42 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Photomickey2

Is the fridge hardwired into the AC power or just plug into an outlet?

If plug in, care to disconnect and test power again? And then run a good extension cord direct to the fridge and see if that pops the GFCI. If hardwired disconnect from power and then disconnect hardwire connection and test.

This might narrow down the search area a bit. Any recent electrical repairs or attaching anything with screws that might have nicked a cable somewhere?

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
harrisburg , Missouri
you could use an outlet detector that tells you if the outlet is wired correctly or not. its a place to start without dismantling all the outlets. Its not a short or the breaker would pop.
Aaron
a duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:52 PM   #4
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
My guess is that something on the fridge or the fridge outlet is wired incorrectly.

Some simple things to check...

-Ground connection good?
-Is there a neutral? Or did they cheat and use the ground for both?
-Is the fridge heating element failing and shorting to ground?
-Any indicator lamps on the circuit/fridge powered with a hot & ground instead of hot & neutral?

If the GFCI is popping, then there is a leak to ground somewhere. In my bus conversion I found a few places with seemingly insignificant shorts to ground, but they added up and caused the GFCI I was plugged into to trip. In my case there were a few indicator bulbs wired to hot & ground instead hot & neutral, and I had one 120v exhaust fan wire the same with a hot & ground only. Fixed those and no more problems.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote