Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2024, 08:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Mashpee , Massachusetts
Unhappy GFCI not resetting after exterior wash??

For the second time I have an unresetable GFCI. The only thing I can find in common is that water got sprayed on the exterior as I was washing the Airstream yesterday and was working on the side of the exterior outlet. The last time this happened only got taken care of at dealer on annual warranty visit and they said it was just a tripped GFCI. So presently I have 1. Thrown the GFCI breaker on and off, inspected all areas, turned the total battery disconnect on and off, tried to see if tester button worked on the circuit breaker, it does not. I also have a GFCI receptacle under the desk that has a test button that will not reset but this is obviously down from the breaker.
I am going to a boondocking rally this Thursday!

My thought is let it dry out more as it must be that moisture is causing a ground fault? The are no buttons lit on the test receptacles and the circuit tester shows no current.

Advice please.
Robin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 10:28 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
The troubleshooting so far looks appropriate. The water can stay in a gfci for a day or two even longer if the water proof seal / cover to outlet is closed.

Since you have a 2023, it’s unlikely that the gfci outlet went bad ( does happen though usually with a high use GFCi and 5+ years of age is my experience. )

If it was critical to have outlet for this weeks event. I would buy and change GFCi outlet, you will know 100% it is dry. I would troubleshoot. why water is getting in and fix that problem. For me, Should not happen on a wash. Outlet cover is made to protect with normal water / wash/ rain Could be missing seal on cover of internal seal with body of mounting point.
Good luck.
Old 06-15-2024, 11:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
I had a similar issue once, and then learned that GFCI breakers need to be pushed hard to the off position - you will feel or hear click - before they can be turned back on. Give that a try first.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 07:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
My outdoor outlet has a GFCI trip outlet and it's in line with the rest of the circuit. When it got tripped after a pressure wash, it caused similar symptoms. I propped open the outdoor outlet cover for a day in hot sun and viola! You could also use a hair dryer.

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 09:08 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Mashpee , Massachusetts
Great news- fixed and i learned something. Thanks to Steve who talked me through key point.

I did not know the there has to be AC (shore or inverter) on to reset GFci. Yup

2 plugged into 120v at house to reset breaker in box.

All fixed. Thanks
Robin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 10:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GL
, California
That good point you added to help other troubleshooting gfci, highlights difference between a home and RV. GFCI need power to know 120v power is “ okay “ home always has it if breaker is on. RV needs it supplied