Old 01-16-2020, 10:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
GFCI circuit and the Inverter

Greetings, this one stumped me for a couple of days so I figured I should share my experience in the hope that it may help someone in the future. Long story sorta short...while on shore power, I had a hair dryer plugged into the GFCI receptacle under the bench in the lounge of my 26RBQ. This is a 20 amp circuit that is also on the Inverter. This specific receptacle has the reset/test button on it and protects all of the receptacles down stream. Well the hair dryer tripped the circuit and we lost power to everything else on the line. However, the GFCI would not reset. The breaker was not tripped, but I had no power to this whole circuit. I figured a bad receptacle and replaced it...still no power.

Well after a few days of trying various things I found a fuse with a rocker switch on the inverter itself. Once I flipped the rocker switch...boom! I had power again.

While Im glad it was a simple fix, I find it so strange that neither the GFCI, nor the breaker tripped.

Labeda14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Good catch.

FYI here are some other mentions of similar situations:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=rHE...4dUDCAo&uact=5

I discovered that rocker switch, in order to turn off our inverter to conserve battery power.

Peter

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote