Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I have two Honda 2000s that I do run in the truck bed. They are mounted to a 3/8" polyethylene panel on wheels along with two 20 lb. LP cylinders. (pics in my gallery) The platform rides under the tonneau (I have an Extang Tri-fold hard tonneau) in the front of the bed so their weight is in front of the rear axle of the truck. That placement allows the generators to not count against the tongue weight limit of the Tundra using Toyota's definition.

The generator platform's wheels do not caster. They roll forward and back and are set specifically to ride in the channels of the bed. There are pulleys attached to the front cargo attachment rings of the truck's bed and 3/8" nylon ropes that run through the pulleys and to the platform. This allows me to pull the generators to the back of the truck's bed then later pull them to the front without having to crawl under the tonneau. The platform is secured for travel with ratchet blocks on both ropes. It's cushioned with a pool noodle (dense foam tube about 3" in diameter that kids use in pools).

Both generators are mounted with their exhausts pointing aft so exhaust heat blows away from the truck. My tailgate will not fully drop while the trailer is hitched, so naturally, I have to unhitch to use the generators.

I have 6' heavy chain and two locks for security. I used to lock both generators to the front of the bed even when traveling. That required me to crawl up there to retrieve or stow the platform. I eventually figured the hard tonneau and locked tailgate provided enough security. I lock them to the rear cargo bed D rings when in use. I know these are potential targets for thieves. We camp 90 or 100 nights a year. I've never heard of a theft like that in campgrounds we've visited and I've even seen Honda 2000s running unattended. A simple chain and lock seems enough to deter the opportunistic thief. I'm m not sure I can afford protection to deter the committed, experienced thief.

I have a Renogy 200 watt suitcase mounted from the underside of the tonneau above the generators and LP cylinders. 4 bikes ride on top of the tonneau when I need to take them. Pics in my gallery of all that. A hard tonneau is a versatile tool.

I have wondered about generator operation while in transit. I eventually concluded that the heat buildup, dangling energized power cord, risk of rain on hot or energized equipment, etc. made this a practice better discussed around a campfire than on the side of a highway with an accident investigator. I can't see a reason to attempt it.

I hope that helps.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Generators

I just pull my generators to be back of my bed, I roll my to up about 1/3 of the way. Make sure there is nothing near the exhaust. I have a chain and pad lock to secure them. I works real well and is easy. I have done this for 5 years and have not had a problem.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I also run my pair in the back of the truck with cover closed. I open the tailgate and position them near the back with the exhaust pointing to the rear. I have never had a problem with it. I don't run them at night past about 10:00. By then the camper is cool enough to sleep. I let them cool off a bit (a beer or two) before closing it up and locking the truck.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
After my term paper on generator boxes, I neglected to mention that the generators we deal with are air cooled, so putting one in a closed box means you need to force air through it or the genny will overheat. Maybe a small 110v. fan drawing in air and blowing the exhaust out. Don't make the box too small.
I'm skeptical of the diamond plate boxes, but they sure look good.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Mollysdad,

The diamond plate box we installed is vented and also has a front and back port for inlet air and access to the controls and for the exhaust. There is also a port on top for refueling. I think the ports are the same plastic sealed ports used in kayaks and boats. They are water tight when their covers are in place.

From a practical perspective, we tested our generator powering the air conditioner (13500 Coleman Power Saver) and simple house loads on a 96 F sunny day for about 6 hours with no overheating of the generator box or generator and with about a 20 F drop in trailer temp and significant improvement in humidity. That was the warmest day we had last summer for testing.

We did not add any sound barrier insulation to the sides, but did add some rubber padding material to the floor to reduce vibration. Our exhaust points away from the trailer, but with the front inlet and exhaust ports open, I'm sure it's not as quiet as the gen sets used by film crews, but with a little more engineering, who knows? I like that the generator is always there and ready. I don't have to load it for a trip and unload it afterward.

Roy
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Someone on forums had pics and instructions for a roll out tray he had his 2 generators affixed to. The wheels followed the bed of the pickup.
Really cool setup. great idea. he had 2 gens hooked up. If anyone out there can find his post, I want to build this in my f250. I have been unable to find it.
I recently had computer problems which deleted some of the things I had saved and this was one of those.
When not in use they would be up against the cab, when in use he would pull them easily to the tailgate for operation. If anyone can find his post please post
where to find it on this thread.
thanks in advance.

PS if you want you can post directly to me as well.that would be awesome.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:06 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Generator platform on rollers

Milo1952: I use a setup like you describe. It works well. I can only imagine other folks do this too, but if I can be an example of a cool generator guy sign me up!

This year's enhancements (not yet shown in pics on my gallery) are replacement of the plywood panel with high density polyetyelyne (matte black 2'x4' 3/8" thickness available on Amazon) and the addition of a rope and pulley system to allow me to pull the platform out for use then pull it back into place and lock it for travel without having to crawl under the tonneau.

If anyone needs new pics of that stuff PM me and I'll take some to post. Until then, here's a pic from my gallery of the setup:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	283430
Old 04-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
SR5, Limited, Platinum, or 1794 Edition?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
San Antonio , Texas
It will get hot smelly and DANGEROUS, you will not have enough airflow and as the CO gets higher your generators might just die from lack of combustion air, it could also overheat the electronics inside the generators.
Ralph12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph12 View Post
It will get hot smelly and DANGEROUS, you will not have enough airflow and as the CO gets higher your generators might just die from lack of combustion air, it could also overheat the electronics inside the generators.
In my case I have only used the gennie inside the truck cap when parked at Flying J truck stops overnight in temperatures below about 50F.

In these conditions with my single 2000 running, temperatures / exhaust smell etc. have not been a problem at all with just the two small side vent windows of the Leer cap open. Tailgate and rear window closed.

I arranged things within the truck bed so that the exhaust side of the gennie was aimed at the side of the bed with probably 18" from plastic bed liner wiyh nothing bet open space between the gennie and the side of the bed.

This seemed sufficient and when feeling the exhaust flow by hand near the liner, it was barely warm.

I suppose if you had something like clothing in the back of the truck it might well pick up some exhaust smell, but we have nothing of that nature stored back there - only tool, lawns chairs etc.

No issue wth gennie dying after several hours running.

We have done this now for a few evenings at Flying J's,

I can appreciate though that running at much warmer ambients, and with two gennies, it could be quite a different situation.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
if I can be an example of a cool generator guy sign me up!
Attachment 283430
Consider yourself a cool generator guy!
I like your setup, although I see a Honda 3000 in my future, but your rolling platform is genius. I tracked down the rv generator boxes here:
https://www.rvgeneratorbox.com
Not sure how I'd incorporate this on a rolling platform but my wheels are spinning.

Also, if anyone is interested, here's the link to extend your Champion exhaust overboard.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Champion-350...-/131782132735
or Honda
http://www.generator-line.com/services.html

I have no experience with these, so let your common sense prevail.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Limited Crewmax 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
SR5, Limited, Platinum, or 1794 Edition?
Limited Crewmax 4x4. The short bed is a bit of a constraint, but it all fits. The reserved seating for the generators lets me say things like "I'm sorry kids, we can't take the basketball hoop on this camping trip"
Old 04-17-2017, 05:50 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Mine is a Limited.
Would like a Platinum, but the Platinum is $10,000 more than a Limited for more bells and whistles than I need.
Don't have a generator, but in my mind I think I would like the (2) $1,000 Hondas linked together.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:38 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
In these conditions with my single 2000 running, temperatures / exhaust smell etc. have not been a problem at all with just the two small side vent windows of the Leer cap open. Tailgate and rear window closed.
How do you keep the rear window closed? Where do you run the power cord?
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
How do you keep the rear window closed? Where do you run the power cord?
I don't know if it is typical, but in my case, there is just enough clearance between the glass top section and the tailgate itself at the left or right corners to be able to ru thr cable through the corner and still be able to close and lock the tailgate and upper glass. It is not a problem at all.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
El Cheapo Method.
Plastic lid hold generators that I can move around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0973.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	283572  
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Why 2 Honda generators?

Curious why several folks are still using (2) 2000W Honda generators vs carrying/using only 1 generator with the MicroAir Easystart that is discussed on several recent threads? I understand some folks may want to run multiple electric devices while using the generator; I get that...assuming that may be the primary reason for bringing along 2 generators?
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Curious why several folks are still using (2) 2000W Honda generators vs carrying/using only 1 generator with the MicroAir Easystart that is discussed on several recent threads? I understand some folks may want to run multiple electric devices while using the generator; I get that...assuming that may be the primary reason for bringing along 2 generators?
Two ACs!
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I run my trailer, ac included from a single Yamaha 2400. I tow with a full size suv so the truck bed method of toting a generator is out for me. With a front mount receiver hitch all of my problems were solved. I use a cargo carrier on the front hitch with my Yamaha either bolted to it from the underside, or generator loaded and bolted down to my yard pull wagon. If traveling with no long stops generator stays bolted to the cargo carrier and I use a heavy extension cord to get power. If boondocking in a spot for multiple days the generator is bolted to the wagon and I use a set of wooden ramps to unload/reload the wagon/generator from the hitch cargo carrier. I always use a chain and lock as a secondary lock down but don't see most crooks getting past the tamper proof bolts I used to replace the standard bolts on the generator feet.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:11 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
As you say, multiple electrical devices. Water heater is a big draw. Refrigerator not so much, but it all adds up.

But I have to say the biggest reason I use two generators is that I HAVE two generators. If I only had one I would do the easy start thing and swap loads and/or burn more propane.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote