Old 05-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Generator, inverter, AC, EasyStart, desktop Computer

Hi,

I’m hoping you could share your insights:

Ours is 2016FC23D

It has outlets that work only when we have shore power AND other outlets that work only when onboard inverter is turned on (blue sticker).

We have installed Easy Start so that we can run AC with Honda Generator 2000.

Question1: When AC is run by Honda generator, how much more power can be consumed?

Question 2: While running AC, how much power is being sent to the charger/converter to charge the batteries?

Question3: When generator is providing power, can the onboard inverter be used safely?

Reason for above questions:

We wish to run one or possibly two desktop computers (250 watt each) during boondock. We know Honda generator can provide sufficient power just for that, but not sure if it can do so while running the AC. Even if it can, generator requires refuel, during which it should be turned off(?). If we power computers by onboard inverter, can we not keep working on the computer when generator is turned off for a minute or two?

Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
>>>> Question1: When AC is run by Honda generator, how much more power can be consumed?

I believe you have a 13.5k BTU Air Conditioner in your 2016 23D unit (vs the larger 15k unit in the 25').... you will have a little power left over, but just for smaller stuff. On a hot day your Dometic Penguin 13.5k BTU Air Conditioner will pull up to around 1600-1700watts steady state running. Your Honda 2000 is a beast, but is rated for 1600w continuous, 2000w max (technically for 30 minutes), and that is at sea level, running with gasoline.

Do you have a little bit of additional overhead to charge a laptop, but not enough to run your fridge on AC for example. 2 machines at 250w each will likely not run. Maybe one but likely not two.

>>>> Question 2: While running AC, how much power is being sent to the charger/converter to charge the batteries?

A small amount, perhaps 10-20 12v DC amps to the batteries if the Honda is at full throttle. The converter will first supply 12v power to items in your trailer like lights, fans, before any residual current is drawn into the batteries for charging.

>>>> Question3: When generator is providing power, can the onboard inverter be used safely?

Yes absolutely. These are independent systems in your trailer. The inverter outlets are powered exclusively by the battery via the inverter, your other outlets are directly wired to shore power. If you have 2 stock lead acid batteries, fully charged, you could run your two 250w desktops for about 2.5 hours before your batteries hit the 50% discharge level, at which point you will need to charge them back up.

Run your AC when you need it. Use your inverter for additional 120v power if needed for charging stuff. If you have all this gear you can also just load it all up and experiment to see when the Honda goes into overload protection (you won't hurt it).

When you turn your AC off, just leave the generator running and the converter will use available power to re-charge the batteries. Just don't let them get below 12.2v and you are fine.

Finally, note that elevation will reduce generator output. You will loose about 3% of power output per each 1,000 feet above sea level. for example, I live at 5,000' and camp often at 8-9,000 feet. That's a ~25% power loss on gas at 8-9,000 feet. Too much loss to run the AirCon on Honda 2000 alone at that altitude. if you are considering a propane conversion for longer runtime using your onboard propane tanks, note that propane also lowers output as well. Loss is an additional about 5-10% in my experience. Just FYI.

If you are 100% reliant on running both AC and your desktops, you will likely need to consider upgrading to a Honda 3000, that would be your least expensive path vs. a large lithium battery bank.

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
How much the converter draws will depend upon your converter and how discharged the batteries are. I do not have an inverter but with one I think that if you switch the AC off and power down the generators for refueling the computers will be fine. We run a 13,500 AC with a Honda 2000. We do have a switch on the converter so that I can cut it off if need be. Our generator will run the AC and the converter but will not run the Microwave and the converter sometimes.

With your questions and reliance on the computers I would suggest that you get a PD surge protector or EMS. I have the EMS and the little plug to go into the generator to make it work. Maybe not needed for surge projection with the generator but it does read amps so I can check the draw of each appliance while on the generator or on the campground AC. It also reads voltage and will shut down if I try to draw too much power.

I use a portable computer in the trailer so a power shutdown does not even affect it.

With the inverter Lithium batteries in the trailer would go a long way towards minimizing problems.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Very useful pieces of information. Thank you!
Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Generator, inverter, AC, EasyStart, desktop Computer

I should have mentioned that you can also get a second honda 2000 - a companion unit - which would double output. Then you would be golden. You can probably pickup one used at a reasonable price as they have replaced these with the 2200.

Hereís an example on eBay for <$600. Note the 30A outlet on the companion unit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-EU200...gAAAzy1-NSk-5U
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1208.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	368019  
Old 05-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #6
That man, that little can

2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
As noted above, much depends on the condition of your equipment. You are running close to the limits of the generator, so relying overmuch on someone else's situation may result in problems.
The wife pestered me to add some kind of power protection, so I sprung for a Hughes dog bone surge protector with blue tooth capability. (shows voltage, watts, amps and kilowatthours.) My AC draw matches a previous post, but without a soft start, the Honda EU2000i I use during Florida power outages sees a significant voltage dip when the AC starts. The absorption fridge draws about 150 W. Just sitting empty, my trailer is drawing 16 watts.
One caveat about the dogbone ammeter/surge protector: I think I read on some other thread that using a surge protector on a generator sometimes requires modifying the ground.
I added a simple ammeter to the battery cable. That's useful for tracking battery load or charge ($20 on Amazon).
Bottom line: For a modest investment, you can track your power usage (and volts!). Brings peace of mind and the ability to foresee problems developing...
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Vista , California
My 2019 16' Bambi Sport has a 13,500 btu A/C. If I install an EasyStart will my Yamaha EF2000iSv2 inverter generator be capable of starting and running the A/C? I ask because all I see in this post seems to relate to Honda inverter generators.
Airlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airlock View Post
My 2019 16' Bambi Sport has a 13,500 btu A/C. If I install an EasyStart will my Yamaha EF2000iSv2 inverter generator be capable of starting and running the A/C? I ask because all I see in this post seems to relate to Honda inverter generators.

Yes for the Yamaha w/easy start assuming you are at a lower elevation. Good, solid machine that performs to specification.