Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2021, 10:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Arcadia , CA
Generator, easy start, propane vs gas, Solar and inverters. Honest reviews.

I bought a 2021 30RBT globetrotter last year, been thru hell selecting the best gears. I literally bought everything, all the gear you can possibly find, and installed everything. Here’s my five cents.

- Generator. I have honda 2200, 3000, and champion 4500. So far champion 4500 is my favorite. Comes with propane hose from the factory, be able to run two AC (with easy start) easily, on the mountain, at sea level. My favorite part, is the electric start and easy oil change. The oil tube on champion 4500 is just so easy for oil change. Honda 2200, can run one AC with propane at sea level, I brought honda 2200 to Mammoth Lake and the max output with propane was only 1500 watts, AC was on for a minute and off for five. With gas, the max output was 1800W+ which can run one AC easily. Honda 3000, I just cannot see the value there, the max output can only run two AC at sea level, it’s still 100 lbs, so I returned it.

- Hutch mountain, propane vs gas.
To me, propane conversion on honda generators is a hassle.
Pros: no spill. Cleaner.

Cons:
Hoses, stiff hoses, especially in winter.
Refilling propane isn’t fun. Some RVers says we need to refill propane anyway, but I’d rather refilling them less than more.
Efficiency goes down by 10% for sure.

If you can get a solid spill-free gas tank, I think gas is definitely the way to go. I normally keep a 1.5 gallon gas tank in the trunk, on my way back to the trailer, just put the amount of gas I need for the day, run the generator till it dies.

- Dexter Lift
I won’t do it again. The clearance it better, by how much? 2-7/8”. I do notice driving isn’t as nice.

- Solar and inverter
I put 600W solar panels, and 2000W victron inverter and three battleborn lithium batter. Do I like them, ya. Would I put them again If I had another chance? No. Why? I found myself rarely use anything over 100W. Instead of spending $6000, I would rather getting a portable battery just for those once or twice hairdryer/microwave.

- Final thoughts:
I think microair easy start + champion 4500 + one portable battery like those 1500W Jackery battery. Would make you comfortable in any circumstances.

Ask me anything. Happy to answer.
Handsome Chinese is offline   Reply With Quote