Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #1

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
san luis obispo , California
Gel Batteries are Discharging too Quickly.

We have a 2013 25’ Flying Cloud. We purchased Lifeline GPL-24T 12 Volt batteries in 2014 and replaced the lead batteries with Gel batteries. We also had solar panels installed. We live on the coast in CA so temps are not extreme.

We noticed last year while dry camping that the batteries seemed to be discharging quickly (less than 4 hours of use down below 12). I had the batteries tested and the RV shop said they tested “good”. The problem has persisted though. We can’t go for longer than 2 hours now without plugging in just using lights and oven fan.

Seems like a short life for these batteries, but I will replace before going camping again. Why do you think the batteries went bad so quickly? They are being charged by the solar panels. Anything I should do to lengthen life? Any recommendations on type of battery? Thanks for your reply’s.
iamwalmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
4 year old Lifelines should not have failed. There is probably something else going on. Are you sure your solar is working? What is the voltage at the battery posts mid-day? Are you running a big inverter?
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Do you leave the trailer connected to shore power when not in use? If so, you may have cooked the batteries.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Batts not at charge capacity...😳

How are you monitoring your 'full' charge'? The OEM monitor from AS is hardly doable as a volt meter let alone battery monitor.
It may be that you solar is not enough...for long enough.

Our 2 grp27 Lifelines would last several days with careful usage. They lasted 11yrs before the first hint of rapid discharge and lengthy charge time.

Hook-up and charge for 12hrs, then test again.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #5

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Also the oven/stovehood? fan is a real power hog!.

Have you put an amp meter on the lines between the controller snd the batteries?
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Lifelines are AGM (absorbed glass mat) not gel. That said you have something else going on and I don't think your solar is reaching the batteries.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Can you tell us more? How much solar do you have installed? Are you relying on solar only to charge the batteries when you are out?

You either have a supply or a demand problem.

For supply, check your solar and make sure it is charging the batteries. What does your volt meter show at say 4PM after a sunny day? If you don't have much solar, it may not be charging your batteries.

On the demand side, I'd install a BVM-712 battery monitor. It will show the amps you are using at any given time. It will also help with the demand equation above. Keep in mind that there are many loads in your Airstream that draw the battery down even if you have the trailer in store mode. These include the propane detector, subwoofer, inverter, antenna, etc.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Among the variables to check out is your solar controller. I have had cheap controllers fail. You need to have a quality MPPT-type of controller such as a Blue Sky. Also make sure that if there is a cut-off switch that it is closed so that the charge makes it to the batteries.

You didn't provide all the information relating to the solar install - how much solar do you have (80 watts, 400 watts ???), make and model of the solar controller, size of the wiring (12AWG may be sufficient for 100-watts, but is grossly insufficient for 400 watts). What type of monitoring device do you have? Is it set for AGM? While flooded cell batteries at rest fully charged are 13.2 volts, my Full River AGM's are 12.89 volts.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:51 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One very real question - where the batteries "full" at the start?

Lead acid batteries (flooded or AGM) take a while to fully charge. Plugging into shore power over night is about the minimum amount of time to know you are charged. Batteries run stuff in the trailer (fridge, lights ... ) that can run them down pretty fast. Turning on the fridge a day early while parked in the drive? ... you better be hooked to working shore power (or in a lot of sun) ....

Solar is very dependent on just how much sun you are getting. It does not take much shade or a lot of clouds to cut it back a lot. Toss in dust / dirt on the panels and ... yikes !! Having a *good* monitoring setup is pretty important if you really want to make solar + batteries work well. Flying blind ( just reading a voltage) is tough.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I hope this chart will be of help to you. I would un-hook battery connectors wait 1 hour and check the voltage without any load on the battery(s) with a multimeter, its a starting point. It's what I use as reference as to what remains in battery while dry camping, maybe not perfect but helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_727.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	327093  
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Good AGM's should read 13.2 V after and hours rest fully charged. If not, you could have ruined them from over or under charging. Get a 4 step charger or inverter to help prevent this age old Airstream problem. Also, be sure and wire all the battery power through a disconnect right after the battery. I have heard of Lifelines lasting a year without charging, so something is wrong.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The OP seems to be on hiatus
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
.... Get a 4 step charger or inverter to help prevent this age old Airstream problem. ....
guskmg
Hi

Good luck charging your batteries with an inverter

------

There have been some issues with post notification emails not going out. The OP *might* be one of those affected. He might also simply have found a case of beer sitting where he'd forgotten about it and is now working on .... burp ... disposing of it.

Bob
Old 11-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #14
planosteve

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Plano , Texas
Amp hours

Check the amp hour capacity of your AGMs. I also have AGMs, and I noticed recently that AGM and gel batteries can have a lower amp hour capacity than comparable flooded cell batteries. Lower amp hours means they don't last as long when dry camping.
planosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Good luck charging your batteries with an inverter

------

There have been some issues with post notification emails not going out. The OP *might* be one of those affected. He might also simply have found a case of beer sitting where he'd forgotten about it and is now working on .... burp ... disposing of it.

Bob
Lol Bob
Old 11-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by planosteve View Post
Check the amp hour capacity of your AGMs. I also have AGMs, and I noticed recently that AGM and gel batteries can have a lower amp hour capacity than comparable flooded cell batteries. Lower amp hours means they don't last as long when dry camping.
...And like my original grp27 Lifelines they can have considerably more than the Interstate's they replaced.

👍 comparable..like, equal, equivalent, similar.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 11-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by planosteve View Post
Hi Steve,
That would be unusual and I would be interested in some examples. I know I don't like Optima batteries specifically because of the low AH ratings and wasted real estate with the spiral design. Not that they are bad batteries, I'm just after amp hours and warranty. So far Fullriver leads the pack IMO. Lifeline and Crown a close second.
Gels are so finicky I wouldn't even consider them for RV or marine use though some do use them with success. Flooded, AGM, or LiFePO4 is the answer.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
AGM charge quicker and more suited for colder weather. charging quicker...important right?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
AGM charge quicker and more suited for colder weather. charging quicker...important right?
Hi

AGM's don't dry out and are not as impacted by a few other minor issues that get to flooded cells. Because of the mats between the plates, often they get away with closer plate spacing that a flooded cell (but not always).

Past that, AGM's are just lead acid batteries. The do the same stuff when it gets cold (drop capacity ...). They have the same issues with charge / discharge.

As stated earlier, this all *assumes* we are comparing same size / type batteries.

Gell cells are a different beast and have some problems unique to their makeup. They share characteristics with other lead acid's but toss in a few curve balls all their own. Since you never ever see them used in this sort of application (for good reason), that all is pretty much irrelevant.

Indeed there are other sub categories of lead acid. You can alloy the plates with this and that to impact how they do what they do. You can also toss this or that into the "acid" to change things a bit. Some companies take this to greater extremes than others. Trojan T-105's are one example of a battery that has *very* unusual "needs" as a result.

Bob
Old 11-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Here’s some information AGM vs. Gel , believe it or not!
https://northeastbattery.com/agm-vs-gel-technology/