Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Fuse panel

In just a second you'll be able to tell that I have owned my 73 excella just over a week. Nothing on the control panel works and I have not been able to find a fuse panel. What I did find was a bundle of wires that may be labled down near the converter. I supect these are the wires that feed the panel and that the fuse panel was removed when the new converter was installed. Does anyone know where it was supposed to be or where I can find a wring diagram? Maybe a pic of one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
bluebonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fuse panel

Greetings bluebonnet!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonnet
In just a second you'll be able to tell that I have owned my 73 excella just over a week. Nothing on the control panel works and I have not been able to find a fuse panel. What I did find was a bundle of wires that may be labled down near the converter. I supect these are the wires that feed the panel and that the fuse panel was removed when the new converter was installed. Does anyone know where it was supposed to be or where I can find a wring diagram? Maybe a pic of one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
If your coach is similar to either my '64 Overlander or '78 Minuet, the 12-volt fues panel is found on the converter itself. I just spent some time getting acquainted with the replacement Univolt (Magnatek) converter in my Minuet - - there is a screw in the front of the unit that when removed allows a hinged access panel to drop-down and reveal the fuse panel. The type of fuse that you find may be the glass cylinder type found in autos of the time period or possibly one of the newer variety (mine had a slight variation in the plug-in fuse type that couldn't be matched at the only auto parts store in the small community where I live - - learned my lesson and ordered an assortment of the fuses used in the panel for the tool kit from my Airstream dealer.

If you are looking for service and/or owners' manuals to aid in the restoration/refurbishment your coach, photocpies of the originals can be had through the process outlined below:

Quoted from the Vintage Airstream Club website

Quote:
Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?
A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.
Good luck with your search for the fuse panel!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:48 PM   #3
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Kevin is right. On my '71 the fuse pannel was found inside the converter. When I replaced mine I had to build a new fuse box.

You mention yours has a new converter in it so I suspect they did not get everything wired back up quite right.

You can see what I did at my site by clicking the link below.

Good luck.

http://www.ldservice.com/tim/airstre...eplacement.htm
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 07:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
My fuse panel is in front of the converter...

I have a 1973 31' Sovereign. My converter was swapped out but the fuse panel (I assume still the original one) was attached to the floor just in front of the converter. My converter and fuse panel are above the battery box which is just behind the entry door. They are also inside of the kitchen cabinet and had the stove mounted above them. I can send you a photo of what my fuse box looks like if that would help. The fuse box is actually pretty well labeled and (I think) actually is labeled with the wire colors that are supposed to attach to it. I also bought a copy of the 1973 service manual from Secretarial Services that has been well worth the money. The manual has 12 volt wiring diagrams for all the models. I could conceivably copy the page for your unit and send it to you. But if you do not have one of the manuals it would be well worth your while to get one in my opinion. My trailer was largely stripped inside and I was able to reconstruct what was supposed to be where for just about every part of the system. Search for Secretarial Services here on the forums.

Just let me know what would help.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 05:37 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thanks very much everyone. I finally had a chance to look inside the converter and there is a brand new fuse panel with only 4 fuses being used. I have the owners manual and there is a diagram in there but it doesn't resemble the new panel so I ordered the service manual and I guess I'll get out the old volt meter and do a little head scratching. I'm sure I'll be back asking for help. Thanks again, Jack
Old 07-30-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

I finally had a chance to get into the wiring system of the converter since I got the service manuel from Secretarial Services. Mine does not resemble anything shown in the diagrams. The converter was changed by the po and calls itself a Parallax Power Copmponents power converter with battery charger, 40 amp.

There are 3 disconnected wires, red, black and gray taped together near the converter. I think these are for the ampmeter and power on light and were not connected because there is no shunt in the new converter that is obvious to me. I don't have the original univolt so there is no chance to salvage parts from it, so is there any way a
shunt can be added and if so anyone got a source and size? Any one experienced with the Parallax Converter? Judging by how other repairs were made, I would expected it to be bottom of the line, but it does look brand new. Maybe I should just go with something like the StatPower?

thanks, Jack
Old 07-30-2004, 06:02 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
jack

a shunt would be easy to construct.

all you would need is a small piece of copper with a slot milled in it to slide a screw along.

connected in series with the battery lead the ammeter wire would be attached to a screw in the slot.

to calibrate it you slide the screw attached to the ammeter wire until you get the reading you want. comparing the reading on the panel to a cheap automotive meter would be a easy task.

i'll see if i can dig up a pic of one.

john
Old 08-15-2004, 10:42 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Hi everyone

What I did was to buy a non-working univolt on e-bay and I just got it last night. What I plan to do is remove the original fuse panel and wire it to my new converter and then hook everything up as original. I think this is what was done on Malcolm's trailer and I think I understand how to wire it to the panel of the new converter so wish me luck. I'll let you know if everything works.
Jack