Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Hartselle , Alabama
Front vent replacement with Fan-Tastic

Hey everyone.

I considering replacing my vent opening (front vent over bed) to a Fan-Tastic pwd fan like that is in the back of my 2007 Safari FB. Then installing rain covers over both units.

My question is..... is there a 12v PWR source @ or near the front vent that is already in place..... hopefully pre-wired from the factory?

Anybody done this?
joel.bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Not exactly pre-wired for a power vent, but there should be a ceiling light less than a foot from the opening. You can simply tap into that power source.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Not exactly pre-wired for a power vent, but there should be a ceiling light less than a foot from the opening. You can simply tap into that power source.
Yep I thought about that option, but if I tapped into that line _ wouldn't the lights have to be on to PWR the fan?

If the 12+ lead is going to the light all the time and the wall switch only controls the negative connect (on or off) then I could ground the fan to the frame for operation.
joel.bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Is the light in that position controlled by a wall switch? If so, the power is only on if the switch is on. You can leave the switch on, and use the switch on the light fixture to control the light.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel.bell View Post
Hey everyone.

I considering replacing my vent opening (front vent over bed) to a Fan-Tastic pwd fan like that is in the back of my 2007 Safari FB. Then installing rain covers over both units.

My question is..... is there a 12v PWR source @ or near the front vent that is already in place..... hopefully pre-wired from the factory?

Anybody done this?
Do you have the owners manual? Somewhere in there it should have a wiring schematic for the trailer. It might be lousy printing (mine is) but usually one can still make out the color codes and routing. If not, you might be able to contact Airstream and have them email you one. I asked Airstream for a higher-quality image than the OM and they sent me the same low-res image :-(

That being said though, you might find pre-wiring. I recently installed FFs in mine. The front hole had pre-wiring, the rear one did not (and this was indicated on the wiring diagram in the OM). For the rear, I used the schematic again to find what color should be +12V and ground in the main wire bundle and then T-tapped into the lines to power the FF.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I replaced my front vent with a powered vent a few years ago. The wiring schematic showed that there should be wiring in there somewhere, but i could not find it. So, I did as suggested above and tapped into the wiring for the ceiling light. Yes, the light switch has to be on, but you can reach both the switch and the fan from the same spot - not a big deal.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:22 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
I was told to send the VIN number to Airstream and ask the question about a wiring source. I was told I had a hot wire there. I still have not done it! I too have a 2007 Safari 27FB.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote