Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2020, 11:06 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
In all the years that I worked on testing breakers and electrical equipment I have not witnessed that they get weaker with temperature. They are designed to withstand extreme temperatures and abuse. Heck we used to apply 33000 volts to them. Then they blew up. It doesn't rule out a defective breaker, but that is less common. Electronics can fail with temperature but we are talking about 55 Celsius and higher. Right now in the plant I have the high limit set at 45C since at 40 the limit was tripping and everything is running fine. And that's well over a million dollars in electronics.
Oh, guess it was gator regarding heat. Maybe only the second mistake i can 'remember' ever making
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Hi SS, I yield on th DC clamp on, got that wrong, thanks for catching! Just getting too old I guess
However breakers do sense circuit temp and magnetic field. The temp is to trip before insulation melts (around 140℉ I think). Ambient temperature not much of a factor.
The Square D QO series uses a magnetic field to trip the breaker. That is why it is so fast and the best on the market. This is a patented design that I don't believe anyone else has.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
One other thought: Is the 30 amp outlet in your house the only thing on its circuit breaker? Are you sure the electrician did it right?
Yes, it is dedicated to just this 30 amp box. There's only two other outlets on the entire house right now. It's under construction during a major renovation. That being the case, the breaker types that are currently on house, a push-button style that I understand is all but outlawed, is possibly the real culprit. We'll be re-wiring the entire house at some point, hopefully in the next month or two once framing is done.

Did the electrician do it right...? Not a clue!
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:56 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
My surge protector displays amps and volts. Perhaps consider one.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
The Square D QO series uses a magnetic field to trip the breaker. That is why it is so fast and the best on the market. This is a patented design that I don't believe anyone else has.
Agree, Square D *QO* is fast. In some cases a QO will cause nuisance tripping in a home (like with central vac motor). The therm/mag design is a good one. Looking on the internet I found other brands claiming thermo/magnetic include: Eaton, Cutler Hammer, Bryant, Westinghouse, and Siemens.
I guess the main thing is finding out why the breaker is tripping. Years ago I was taught electricity is a good servant but a deadly master. Construction wiring is always suspect and often a temporary setup is subject to change without notice. Really important to keep an eye on things and keep checking for safety. A properly wired GFCI breaker on an outdoor circuit is most often the best situation. JMHO.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote