Old 12-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Heber , Utah
Flexable solar panels

Hi does anybody have a good lead to flexible solar panels I can permanently attach to my roof. I have use a powerfilm panel before which is good but buy far to expensive at 875 bucks for just 60 watts I am looking to add 300 plus watts. with a good inverter. So if anybody have any experience at this please give me a heads up my eyes are sore from searching..

shinytincans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
search harder, few discussions about this. I opted for 24V 135W flex panels. not cheap, but higher voltage is good for the small 10ga wires and MPPT to sort out the excess voltage.

got mine here: https://afp-power.com/

Old 12-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Amazon; and watch whether it is the 20% plus efficiency cells & whether or not it is front or back wiring junction box - they all seem to have one years warranty, confirm that with vendor.

Beware the least-expensive panels shipped directly from China - if quality issues arise the expense of returning item(s) could/would be prohibitive. Product being offered with Prime delivery means Amazon has more of a stake in your satisfaction.

Some panels have the option of extending warranty to 4-years for 15-20% of purchase price, mechanical & electrical failure is claimed to be covered.

At the same price point there is a rigid panel with small dimensions - 40"x20-3/4" - the Renogy Eclipse* 100 Watt unit - now that is a deal for the highest tech PV cells which means the smallest possible dimensions.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
So I'd like to get the Renology 100 suitcase and their controller and use battery clamps to hook it to my batteries to keep them charged up while we are dry camping. I have a couple of questions:

What kind of wiring do I need. Can I just use wire I get at the hardware store? If so, what gauge?

Second question, with two batteries, do I clip the pos to pos on one battery and Neg to neg on the second battery or do I just clip on one battery at a time?

We have a Bambi with a single battery now but will be picking up our Flying Cloud 23FB with two batteries in a few days and I'm doing a bit of planning.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful input.
Cameron
curnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pos on one and neg on the other. Depending how long of a cord you want will determine the gauge of wire. My suitcase is 160W and I wanted 50' of mobility, so I chose 6 gauge marine tinned and stranded duplex wire. Very flexible .

Google "solar wiring gauge chart".

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote