Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
San antonio , Texas
Fixing Bad Converter and Electricals

Hi all. We're new to the life, and jumping in. We have a 1976 28' Center Bath Argosy. The PO told us the battery wouldn't hold charge so the converter was bad or going bad. Made sense. After some debate, we decided to make it easy and STEP ONE BUY NEW CONVERTER/CHARGER. Step two would be to address the fuse block.

Went ahead and removed the Triad TU331W converter.

Pulled the 3-prong plug out of the socket (almost burned/fused in and had to yank hard.

Opened the front cover to expose the fuse panel, thinking that I could temporarily use it until I replaced it.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5628.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	311379

I have a lot of questions:
1. There appears to be no ground wire running to the chassis?
2. The fuse block (and outer plate identifies the connections) has a loose blue wire, an attached purple wire (labeled branch fuse), an empty slot that appears to have been burned out though there is no residue (labeled for branch fuse), next an attached small red wire (labeled branch fuse), and an attached small yellow wire (labeled Towing vehicle 30 amps). Then there is a larger red wire attached to the fuse labeled trailer battery (50 amps), then a a large black wire (running from a fuse link on the outer wall) and a white wire that are both attached to a terminal labeled negative battery.

I have tried to attach some pics that I took.

Before I mount the new converter, I need to remove a shelf so I can get to the outer wall and socket. I will need to remove the socket, hoping I have enough wire back behind the panel to do that.

Then I need to figure out about the (missing?) ground wire.

After that, I can mount a fuse block on the outer panel above the wheel. Ultimately, I will wire the blue, small red, and purple to the fuse block and use a bladed 15a fuses. Then run the yellow (tow vehicle, is that code for running lights?) to a 30amp bladed fuse.

Now I start getting a little unsure. Then I run a 50 amp fuse on the larger red cable (positive) for the trailer battery? Shouldn't I be running the large red cable from the new converter positive terminal to the battery alone?

Then I run the black (negative) cable from the battery, through an existing fuse link, to the new converter? How do I run it to the fuse block? I assumed the white wire from the wall was the feed from a 30 amp breaker coming from the a/c breaker panel in the rear corner as the power supply. So now what do I do with the white wire?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5631.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	311380  
Whit461 is offline   Reply With Quote