Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I got mine with everything except the remote control and now I wish I had the remote because it would be nice to close the vent from the comfort of my nice warm bed when the overnight temperature drops lower than I expected, instead of having to quickly jump up and hit the switch and then race back under the covers. Am I spoiled or what?
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #22
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Fan-Tastic Vent Ultra Beeze Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
On both of the FF's on the trailer I installed a Maxx Air II Cover:

The covers are easily removable by pulling 4 pins, add an extra "bug" barrier, don't reduce the air flow by much, and allow me to leave a top vent open AND turn off all of the batteries when the AS is parked for a week or more.
I found this new video by Fan-Tastic of their Ultra Breeze cover that will not restrict Air Flow. For some reason they posted the video sideways.

http://youtu.be/nBMdTfn4NbA

http://www.youtube.com/embed/nBMdTfn4NbA
Old 12-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Glad we did it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
We went for 2 last year and got the rain sensor. Wasn't sure it they were working until one day I was looking at it when it began to rain. Sure enough, they closed as advertised. Never looked back. Will replace the 3rd. one someday too. Don't bother with the remote controls. Just something else to have to look for.

Go for it. You'll like it.
We had two of these installed last summer at Franks Trailer Works in Baltimore. Frank Yensan--Overlander62.

We couldn't be more pleased.

After pricing the fans and installation at our nearest Airstream dealer we thought they were out of our budget and resolved ourselves to using the original fans. Then we got in touch with Frank and he supplied 3 fans (2 vents and 1 "portable") for less than the price of a single fan from the dealer. Frank is a Fantastic Vent dealer. He also installed both fans for less than the dealer was charging to install one.

As Frank said,"Honest work at an honest price". Great fans--great guy!

Sue
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Thanks everyone. I just checked out the Vintage site and am now torn between the all gray model and the white

I already fixed this old gal up once when I got her. But I've got a new converter that I want to upgrade the coach to 50amp, and I'm amassing all of the other goodies I need; not limited to the Fantastic Vents, some new LED tail lights and running lights, I've got a laminate floor to put in, and I'd like to redo a bit of the wiring and plumbing. It all works now, I just want to make it better. Oh yeah, my main ZipDee 21' awning is shot too....

Anyway, I see three of these Fantastic vents in my future this spring!

See ya on the road!
Old 12-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Good thread.

JimGolden I've also got a lot of bookmarks and will assemble parts as part of a general upgrade, this has been on my list. My trailers have not had lighting at the vents either, so, as a GP lighting consideration for the vents (from a thread I cannot find, but bookmarked the vendor): LED Strip

Okay, found it:

New Ideas for Overhead Lighting/Vents

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #26
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Of those of you that have installed FFans, how many of you have used the special curved trim piece (and what year/model was your Airstream?).

I have a 63 Overlander and I remember reading somewhere that it didn't need it even though it's an older TT. As I remember it was the shorter trailers that needed the curved piece? Can anyone confirm? Thanks
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
I Think we did....

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Of those of you that have installed FFans, how many of you have used the special curved trim piece (and what year/model was your Airstream?).

I have a 63 Overlander and I remember reading somewhere that it didn't need it even though it's an older TT. As I remember it was the shorter trailers that needed the curved piece? Can anyone confirm? Thanks
I think we did--or rather Frank did. We have an 80 Excella 31, center twin, rear bath.

Maybe Frank will chime in.

Sue
Old 12-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
1962 22' Safari
1961 16' Bambi
Philly burbs , PA
Fantastic choice!

Jim,
I wanted to add an experience I had with my Fantastic Fans. I have been restoring a 1976 Safari and decided to remove the three original vents and air conditioner, replacing the four openings with Fantastic Fans. The installation went well. Straightforward install. I decided to go with the basic vent, I think the 900, no fan. I learned that Fantastic Fans are upgradable and will pop in the right model upgrade once I know what I want, once on the road (which might be a year down the road!). I finished up outside and started fitting and installing the interior ceiling panel. That went well. The Fantastic Fans fit nicely and really cleaned up the ceiling in my Safari. Then I ran into a problem with the plastic interior trim collar. The standard fan interior trim collars were not deep enough for my installation. I called the company, wanting to buy deeper trim kits. I described my desired depth and was ready to pay, only to find out that the company was sending the four trims to me free of charge! Great product, great company!
www.surfershack.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	147652  
surfpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
A couple of things I've heard directly from Fantastic Fan people during a visit to their factory...

If something breaks on any part of the fan, call them and they will replace certain items and you pay only shipping (if you're out of the warranty period).

You can drive down the road with the vents open and the fans on, if you wish. I actually did this after visiting the factory. I had my rear-view mirror tilted up so I could monitor the lid. It flops around a bit, but hangs in there. I drove for 5 hours this way and there were no ill effects. This is not a regular practice for me though even though the factory said it's OK. I do see it though as an "insurance" benefit in that if I forget to close them and hit the road, they aren't getting torn off.

If you are driving in a dusty area, you can have all fans blowing inward and it will lightly pressurize the camper and keep dust out of any leaky door or window gaskets. I personally do not subscribe to this idea and I don't have issues with dust inside after going down dusty roads anyway.

Last but not least, I was informed that with the fans on high speed blowing out that a typical rainfall will not get far enough to trigger the rain sensor. Thus, you can leave the fans open and on plus leave your windows cracked open during the rain and still get ventilation. The factory rep. offered to get a garden hose and demonstrate this on my trailer. I declined.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
And these are some of the reasons we bought them

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
A couple of things I've heard directly from Fantastic Fan people during a visit to their factory...

If something breaks on any part of the fan, call them and they will replace certain items and you pay only shipping (if you're out of the warranty period).

You can drive down the road with the vents open and the fans on, if you wish. I actually did this after visiting the factory. I had my rear-view mirror tilted up so I could monitor the lid. It flops around a bit, but hangs in there. I drove for 5 hours this way and there were no ill effects. This is not a regular practice for me though even though the factory said it's OK. I do see it though as an "insurance" benefit in that if I forget to close them and hit the road, they aren't getting torn off.

If you are driving in a dusty area, you can have all fans blowing inward and it will lightly pressurize the camper and keep dust out of any leaky door or window gaskets. I personally do not subscribe to this idea and I don't have issues with dust inside after going down dusty roads anyway.

Last but not least, I was informed that with the fans on high speed blowing out that a typical rainfall will not get far enough to trigger the rain sensor. Thus, you can leave the fans open and on plus leave your windows cracked open during the rain and still get ventilation. The factory rep. offered to get a garden hose and demonstrate this on my trailer. I declined.
First--Jason--where is the factory? Could be a cool place to visit.

Second, one of the main reason we chose Fantastic Vent fans is because it seems you can travel with them open. We plan to travel with our cats in the trailer rather than having them in the Excursion. Two of them don't mind the Excursion, but all four of them are happy in the trailer. We will have the rear one blowing "in" and the front one blowing "out". This should avoid any potential CO getting into the trailer from the Excursion exhaust. They are all very happy in the trailer--much more so than in their carriers.

Now, if we could just figure out a better place for the litter box than in the bathtub...

Sue
Old 12-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneysue925 View Post
First--Jason--where is the factory? Could be a cool place to visit.

Second, one of the main reason we chose Fantastic Vent fans is because it seems you can travel with them open. We plan to travel with our cats in the trailer rather than having them in the Excursion. Two of them don't mind the Excursion, but all four of them are happy in the trailer. We will have the rear one blowing "in" and the front one blowing "out". This should avoid any potential CO getting into the trailer from the Excursion exhaust. They are all very happy in the trailer--much more so than in their carriers.

Now, if we could just figure out a better place for the litter box than in the bathtub...

Sue
The factory is in Lapeer, MI. It is a long haul from anywhere in the USA but if you're from western Ontario, then it's a snap expect for customs. It's only about 1 hour from the Sarnia, MI / Canada border. But, once you're in Lapeer it's quite easy to get to. It's only a block off of I-69. If you need any parts or service done, they will do it on-site. A phone call ahead of time is a good idea, though. When we were there, there was another Airstream in getting his fans worked on. Ironically we were both from Ohio but had never met.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

The Airstream garnish looks and works better on all models up to the new wide-body units. The older Airstreams would use the Ivory, or off-white garnish, and the newer ones would use the polar white garnish.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #33
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The Airstream garnish looks and works better on all models up to the new wide-body units. The older Airstreams would use the Ivory, or off-white garnish, and the newer ones would use the polar white garnish.

Thanks Terry!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:58 AM   #34
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am very proud to be a Fantastic Dealer as Sue mentioned. It is very easy to get behind an excellent product!
The one bad thing about Sue's install was the overhead lights had to go away. I am still trying to figure out a way to compensate for that. I believe this is only a mid 80's issue.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:40 AM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I am very proud to be a Fantastic Dealer as Sue mentioned. It is very easy to get behind an excellent product!
The one bad thing about Sue's install was the overhead lights had to go away. I am still trying to figure out a way to compensate for that. I believe this is only a mid 80's issue.
They had the lights in the vents in the 70,s trailer as well, Frank.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I put a couple of single tube fixtures made by Progressive Dynamics on either side of the one I installed in the bedroom of my 1983 Excella. There are photos here in Terry's fulltiming adventure thread. There was a discussion about this going on in that thread a couple of years ago.

The good news at the time is that they were made by PD, a good company. The bad news is that PD has since decided to exit the lighting part of the RV business. Another single-tube fixture could be used in a similar fashion.

I am disappointed to see PD stop making 12V fluorescent lighting. The fixtures were nice. I also have one of their two-tube fixtures in the hall above the fridge.

Also, back to the original topic: Get the one(s) with the rain sensor(s)!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Correction Fantastic Vent Company Location

The factory is located in Lapeer County Michigan but not in the City of Lapeer, it is located 13 miles to the east in Imlay City. For access from I-69 take Exit 168 and then go north one block then turn left on Newark Road go west one block to South Almont Avenue. Turn left the factory is on the east side of street. Very friendlily folks they welcome visitors.

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #38
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Thanks Terry!
You're welcome.
As for lids, a white lid will block all light, I don't remember for sure about the grey lid, but I think it does, too. The smoke lid will let a good deal of light in so the trailer isn't too dark. You may want a solid white or grey lid if the fan is directly over the bed.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63

They had the lights in the vents in the 70,s trailer as well, Frank.
Heck our '95 has one. Kind of annoying actually...

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
FVs

A fully open fan will let rain hit the sensor on high in a moderate rain shower, but you can use the factory approved procedure of grabbing and holding the manual knob on the lid's way open as soon as the fan starts. This will stop the lid from raising any more and keep most of the rain off of the sensor. I haven't found a way to keep heavy dew from closing the lid other than a full power off. Always use the switch to lower the lid and not the knob.

The best way to operate the fans normally is to keep all the windows closed and then set one fan to blow in and the other to blow out. This turns your trailer interior into a gentle wind tunnel so that you get a breeze nearly everywhere in the trailer. You can modify this procedure at night to set one or both fans blowing in and then open the window at the head of the rear bed for an exhaust vent and the air washes right over you on its way out.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote