Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Fantastic Fans

Hi Folks
I have a 2002 31 Classis with fans in the front and rear. the front fan has all of the controls in the unit and the bedroom one has the thermostat on the wall. both of the fans have stopped working! the front one had a small tree seed pod stuck between the fan outer ring and the bezel which caused it to freeze up. i suspect that this overloaded the circuit and popped the fuse. I checked the fuse in the fan and it looks fine. my question is ........
is there another 12 volt fuse on the circuit? if so does it cover both of the ceiling fans on the same circuit? I just cant see both fans going down independently at the same time. As usual, any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Pete
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
A visual "it looks fine" is not a good check of a fuse. Did you test the fuse for continuity with a multimeter or a test light?

There will be a 12V fuse or breaker panel in the trailer that should have one or two fuses that supply the circuit(s) for those fans, it's worth checking there after you're sure the fuse in the fan itself is good.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Everyone should own a DVM just for these problems Pete.
First, you have to determine if you have power in the circuit. Use DVM to test.
If you have power, then check the ground at the fan motor. Many times the problem is with a poor ground.
The other thing to check on the Fantastic Fans is the switch that activates the fan when the lid is opened. The little button on this switch sometimes sticks and needs a spray of silicone to free up.

As stated above, looking at a fuse many times will give you the wrong message. Test it with a DVM and this will tell you where to look next to solve your problem.

I sure like the White Lake area Pete. Are you doing any ice fishing this week?

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote