Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
San Mateo , California
Fantastic Fan, Dining Room Lights and Bath Fan not working

Hello. I have a 2016 Classic 30. My Fantastic Fan, Dining Room Lights and Bath fan do not work, whether on battery power or plugged in. All Circuit Breakers and fuses look good. Any suggestions or recommendations on where I should look for the problem? Thank you.
Arbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Check all outlets for ground fault button and make sure it's in the right position.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Your problem is the 12volt system, not 120v. So 120v breakers or ground fault buttons are not involved.
If some 12v things are working, then that proves the 12v breaker that feeds the 12v distribution panel is good.

That leaves individual circuit fuses, or the wires or devices on the circuit beyond the fuse for that circuit that does not work, as the problem. I would suspect fuses.
How did you check the 12v fuses? Some that look good can be bad.

You could try moving the fuses into different positions (of equal amps) within the fuse panel. If the problem moves with the relocation of a fuse then you know it is a bad fuse. If it blows a fuse then you know there is a problem with that circuit. (hope you have some spare fuses)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
San Mateo , California
Thank you for your responses, Majorairhead and A W Warn.

I did trace the fuses that deal with these devices and replaced them with new fuses if similar amps. Still not working.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Did these all work and just stop at once? The usual cause of 12 volt problems is a bad ground. You will probably have to take each apart and check for a good connection and ground. Also check the switches for each unit. Electrical can be a nightmare, but start from the easiest first and work back. Good luck!! Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
I would next check the wire connector just beneath the fuse to see that the wire is inserted correctly and that the screw/clamp holding the wire is tightened properly. You may have to remove the cover, so be careful with the 120/240v electric. Disconnect first!

If that is not the problem, the next step is to go to each device that is not working and check for loose wire connections and testing with a multi-meter at each device to prove whether or not it is getting correct voltage.

There is a separate fuse in the Fantastic fan, covered by a ~1/2" round black button. Turn the button counter clockwise then pull the cap downward. The fuse should come out easily.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:30 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
San Mateo , California
Thanks Chris. Actually, we were out over the holidays. I was plugged in as well. One evening all these three devices were not working. I checked breakers and fuses but found all in order.

The next morning, for some reason, all these devices worked again. We towed the AS back to storage and put it away. Today I went to the AS and these same devices are again not working.

A W Warn, thank you as well for your responses and advise. Being that the three devices go out (or work) at the same time, it most likely a common wire or fuse or ground. What I don’t understand is that the fuse that serves these devices also serves the furnace (which seems to be operating normally).
Old 01-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Check the ground bus where all the white wires connect to a single bar. One or more may be loose. If all are tight, make a ground jumper and go from the ground bus to each non working fixture to see if there is an open some where in between. The next step is to get a signal probe and start tracing the circuit. They are not very expensive.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbi View Post
<<snip>> Being that the three devices go out (or work) at the same time, it most likely a common wire or fuse or ground. What I don’t understand is that the fuse that serves these devices also serves the furnace (which seems to be operating normally).
If the furnace is on that circuit, then I would look at the furnace for a loose connection.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Often fixtures are "daisy chained" i.e. the hot and ground wires go to one fixture where they are connected to the fixture and a wire pair going on to the next fixture. Pull the fuse for the circuit that isn't working to identify everything on that circuit. Then start at the one closest to the battery. Open it up and check connections. If good, move to the next, etc. until you have checked them all. As previously mentioned check the power wire at the fuse panel and all the wires on the 12V ground buss bar.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
San Mateo , California
Thank you, guskmg, AW Warm and Al! I will try these out and hopefully get it resolved. Much appreciated.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #12
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Just for the heck of it, try using your dogbone adapter (50a-30a) and plug in to the 30-amp side of your power pedestal.

If things then work normally, the issue will be with the 50a side of the pedestal. I have had that problem at two different campgrounds.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Just for the heck of it, try using your dogbone adapter (50a-30a) and plug in to the 30-amp side of your power pedestal.

If things then work normally, the issue will be with the 50a side of the pedestal. I have had that problem at two different campgrounds.

Pat
OP has a 12 volt problem. If anything is working, it is not related to shore power input.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #14
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Except when it does:

My issue was that one of the legs at the 50amp side at the pedestal was not hot. It happened to be the leg that serviced the charger/converter, and as I was "plugged in" I was not aware that I was running down my batteries. Strange things happen to your 12v system when you take those down to low levels.

Switching down to the 30amp side cured all the problems.

Cheap and no harm trying.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 01-15-2019, 08:31 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
San Mateo , California
Thank you, Pat. Thank you all. Brought a friend who is a more DIY person than I am and shared all your advise, short of pulling wires from the ceiling and devices. Still not working. Will need to bring in to Airstream. They said 4-8 hours at $149 per hour. Ouchhh!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Sorry to hear, Arbi. Please be sure to follow up and let us know the outcome. We'll be on the edge of our seats!

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 08-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Multiple lighting/fan issues as well...HELP

Help please........I have a 2019 Globetrotter that all was well after getting all set up. A few hours later I noticed the Fantastic fan,lights in the overhead DVD cabinet,lights under the DVD cabinet,lights in the twin bed cabinet on the door side and the toilet area vent fan were all not working. All fuses seem to be OK as no red light indicating a broken circuit. This is probably our 30th night in the Airstream. Any ideas as to what I might try????? I really don't want to take it in for repairs as my dealer is 4 hours away and the local dealer told me if it wasn't purchased from them they weren't really interested in fixing it.
tfp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfp1953 View Post
Help please........I have a 2019 Globetrotter that all was well after getting all set up. A few hours later I noticed the Fantastic fan,lights in the overhead DVD cabinet,lights under the DVD cabinet,lights in the twin bed cabinet on the door side and the toilet area vent fan were all not working. All fuses seem to be OK as no red light indicating a broken circuit. This is probably our 30th night in the Airstream. Any ideas as to what I might try????? I really don't want to take it in for repairs as my dealer is 4 hours away and the local dealer told me if it wasn't purchased from them they weren't really interested in fixing it.
Sounds like a dead battery or a bad converter, since every item you mentioned is 12 volt.

ps.
The battery is not warrantied by Airstream, it is by the manufacturer. You might find a vendor nearby that will honor the warranty if you take the battery to them.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:24 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Greetings, I have the same problem as you did.....what ended up being the fix. Thanks TomHelp please........I have a 2019 Globetrotter that all was well after getting all set up. A few hours later I noticed the Fantastic fan,lights in the overhead DVD cabinet,lights under the DVD cabinet,lights in the twin bed cabinet on the door side and the toilet area vent fan were all not working. All fuses seem to be OK as no red light indicating a broken circuit. This is probably our 30th night in the Airstream. Any ideas as to what I might try?????
tfp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:29 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfp1953 View Post
Greetings, I have the same problem as you did.....what ended up being the fix. Thanks TomHelp please........I have a 2019 Globetrotter that all was well after getting all set up. A few hours later I noticed the Fantastic fan,lights in the overhead DVD cabinet,lights under the DVD cabinet,lights in the twin bed cabinet on the door side and the toilet area vent fan were all not working. All fuses seem to be OK as no red light indicating a broken circuit. This is probably our 30th night in the Airstream. Any ideas as to what I might try?????
Hi

The fix on one trailer (especially a Classic vs something else) is not likely to be the fix on another trailer.

If you don't have it already, download a copy of your owners manual. In it you will find a wiring diagram for your trailer. It shows how the 12V gets from one place to another.

Things to do:

What is your battery voltage-- when not on shore power / solar? If you don't have one, go get a multimeter. Use it to measure at the battery posts. (should be > 12V)

What is the battery voltage on shore power? It should go up if the converter is working. (should go up at least 0.5V)

Have you checked the fluid level in the batteries?

What is the voltage at the 12V panel ? (should be same as at the battery)

Is the fridge still working?

What does the multimeter read on each of the breakers / fuses for the affected circuits? (should be 12V each side)

None of that is in any particular order. They are all good things to check out if you have a 12V system problem.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote