Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2003, 09:46 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Fan-tastic vent - has anyone installed one?

I am thinking about ordering one (or two) fan-tastic vents for my 21' sovereign and am seeking advice from someone who has installed one or who knows how to install one. Are there 12 volt electric wires present in the area where the fan goes? If there are accessible wires going to overhead lights can I tie on to one of those? There is not an airstream dealer close by and it would be much more convenient for me to install a fan myself but I don't want to do something wrong. Thanks.
Wayne
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 10:20 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

just did it

Do a search for "Fantastic fan" and check out dabler's photo's. Gives you step by step instructions. Gave me the confidence to attempt it.
Dave-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 01:37 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Thanks. Duane and his photographer did an outstanding job of showing how to install the Fan-tastic vent, and that will be a great help for me. However, it appears that his old vent had a motor in it with wires already there. My vents just open and do not have motors so I am not sure where I can get power. Hopefully someone can tell me if there are available wires up there close to the vent that I can tie onto.

Wayne
Old 03-05-2003, 01:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

If you have a light at the vent then you do for sure. Realize also that you will lose that light with the fan install unless you make some other arrangements for a light fixture. If you aren't worried about replacing the light then the fan will simply take over that connection.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
My FanTastic vent is powered by the same circuit as the ceiling light which is a few inches aft. Both the light and the vent motor work, so the fan motor wires were simply spliced into the light wires before the light switch. If you have a light near the vent, then you can use these wires for power. Do you have the original Owners Manual? Mine has a complete (more info than I wanted) wiring diagram.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 05:10 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Rick, I do have a ceiling light a foot or so to the rear of the vent opening. I am glad to know that the wires for the light are OK to run the fan. I was afraid that they might be too small. I hope there is enough room up there to reach and tie into the wires. I do have an owners manual with wiring diagram but I cannot tell exactly where the wires are located.
I feel comfortable enough now to go ahead with the project and appreciate the great help I received from fellow "airstreamers."

Wayne
Old 03-13-2003, 10:17 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

I sent an email to fan-tastic vent and asked how I could get the curved inside finish trim for an airstream. Three days later the trim piece was on my front porch. Someone else had mentioned that the trim was available, otherwise I would not have known. If the vent is as good as fan-tastic vent's customer service, it will be great. Thanks to all, especially "dabler's photos" for the help.

Wayne
Old 03-13-2003, 06:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I just bought one last weekend. I called Fanstastic, and they sent a new trim piece, but it has no curves on it. It is off white and not as thick as the original. DID I GET THE WRONG BEZEL????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fantasti.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1738  
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 06:43 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

nope

das not the one
Old 03-14-2003, 08:24 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Pick, I cannot see all four sides of your bezel. The one they sent me looks like yours from two sides but the other two sides have a small curved filler that will fill in the otherwise gap at the roof of the airstream. If yours don't they should send you another one. It is my understanding that the "off white" color is the only color trim available for the airstream. If you like the original bezel that is made for thicker roofs you could probably make and glue a small filler strip to it. I have not installed mine yet (because of a knee injury) so I don't know if the larger bezel is needed for the airstream. Please let me know how it works out.

Wayne
Old 03-14-2003, 06:03 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The bezel is trimmed to fit the roof thickness. The thinner one will work, but you will have a gap front and rear where the roof curves. If you did not tell them what year trailer you had, they thought the thinner one would be correct. The new trailers roof is almost flat. The big one is the standard one they ship in the box. I purchased a new fan at the sarasota rally and asked for the curved bezel, it was included at no charge.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 07:20 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

I installed the fan-tastic vent without any serious problems and am very pleased with it. I fished wires from my overhead light. Actually I had a little trouble getting the vent in because there was a bundle of wires (12 and 110 volt) that were in the way of one corner of the vent. I was barely able to get them pushed out of the way. I put some hard foam between the wires and the roof to keep the vent top mounting screw from hitting the wires. The smaller inside trim that the factory sent for the airstream fit perfect.
It took me about 5 hours to install because of having to cut the holes larger and trying to get all the old vulkem (or whatever) off. I cut all I could off and tried using thinners to remove the rest but was unsuccessful. (I guess I shouldn't count the time lost trying to get back on the ground after my ladder slid off without me - the old comforter I had over it to protect the finish made it slick.)
One surprise - I had no idea that the inside walls were aluminum until I started cutting the inside hole to fit the new vent. I thought the inside walls were made of some kind of finished hardboard. I saw a 2003 international with bright finished aluminum on the inside but had no idea that mine had aluminum.

Wayne
Old 03-20-2003, 08:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Cool! I finally got the right bezel. Just waiting for the weather to clear up, and I'll get started on mine. Hopefully this weekend. Upholstery shop called and gaucho is done! Will post pics when done.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 10:14 PM   #14
pap

Dablers Fan Fotos wont come up.

ok I went to Dablers photo page and found the listings for all his photos. However no photos ever load.
Is this probably my computer?
Or could Dabler have removed his photos leaving just the ID frames?

This has happened on other occasions with others photos.
I gave the loading process about 25 minutes with no success.
pap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:46 AM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The missing photos is a problem with the airstreamphotos site. Andy is working on it. So have no worrries about your computer.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote