Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2020, 07:17 AM   #1
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Failure - Battery converter replacement, FC26

I'm a full-timer. About a month ago, by WFCO converter failed in my 2019 FC26RBQ. I was in the wilderness, and replaced my AGM batteries with two wet-cell Group 24's as they were the only batteries available.
I was supplementing battery charging by using an external battery charger, which required me to camp where I could have pedestal power.
Returning to the Knoxville area, I called the local 5-rivet dealer and asked for a service appointment to replace the converter. The service manager responded that, even if he were to locate the replacement part, the next appointment would be in the March 2021 timeframe.
Forced to replace the converter on my own, I received a new one from Amazon in two days, and set aside a day to make the swap.
If you refer to the photos, the converter is located on the floor behind the main electrical panel. To the left is the refrigerator, to the right is the microwave. Above is the cupboard. Disconnecting shore power and all battery cables, I commenced.
But, you can't do it.
The converter is screwed to the floor with four screws. The two on the far side are under, in order...the flange from the wheel well, the hot and cold water piping, and electrical cabling. I attempted to gain access from the top, but the pantry floor cannot be dissembled.
After six hours of trying, I gave up and put everything back. I am now trying to decide whether to do the lithium upgrade, or go back to Jackson Center and get them to replace the converter under warranty. So, ten grand in upgrades, or drive to Ohio in the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3296.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	383842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3297.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	383843  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3298.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	383844  
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Given the age of your converter, it may be that you lost a fuse rather than the entire unit.

There are the green automotive fuses that can be pulled and swapped out.

Not sure if you tried that already?

When I changed mine (only because I installed a lithium battery), I just popped the front of my fuse panel off and the converter was held in with a few screws in front, I was able to slide it out and change it to a better converter. Took about 20 mins! It does not make sense that your converter would be buried in the trailer like that. You should be able to access these components for future repairs.

Perhaps a special tool is required to reach the hidden screws?

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote