Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2021, 08:42 AM   #1
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Factory grounding defect??

While swapping out the 7-wire umbilical today on my 1994 Excella I made an interesting discovery. The cord and the connections look like they were OEM and done by Airstream, so I'm guessing that this problem has existed since day #1 for this trailer.

The first thing that I noticed is that at some point someone had sliced open the rubber jacket on the umbilical, tapped into the ground wire, and then made connection to the chassis via a screw-on copper lug. Seemed very odd to me, especially since the grounding block inside the 12v panel where the end of this wire connects to is connected directly to the chassis via a solid copper wire.

Why the need for an extra ground wire, and why in a way which allowed water and dirt into the rubber jacket?

When I pulled the other end of the wire out of the grounding block I found my answer. If you look carefully at the place the set screw met the wire, you'll see that it was on the insulation and not the copper wire.

My guess is that on occasion the copper strands made contact with the inside of the grounding block, but not a good connection and not always. Someone realized they had a grounding problem and added the connection midpoint on the wire to the chassis.

Just goes to show how insidious a ground connection problem can be and how difficult they can be to find. Anyone putting a screwdriver to the set screw would have been convinced that it was good and tight, but they wouldn't have known no electrical connection was being made.

I think that making the problem even more serious is that they used the same port on the grounding block for the ground wire to the brakes. Having two wires in the same hole made it more difficult to get both properly seated.

My short term solution is to crimp both wires into a ferrule, and then to insert the ferrule into the grounding block where the set screw will be able to make solid contact with both. Eventually I'll add a grounding bus bar to provide space for each wire to have its own connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210703_090144.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	741.3 KB
ID:	398661   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210703_090159.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	601.3 KB
ID:	398662  

1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:08 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Hantsport , NS
My '87 Limited is apart for a major refit and I found plenty of wiring anomalies, some presumably factory and others either work around repairs, water damage, or rodents nibbling. I had a similar find with the large white wire at the converter. Inside the walls I found burnt wires, broken wires, corroded wires, bare wires that simply ended in the wall, wires that were crimped together and burnt. When it goes back together it'll be worth the time to trace every circuit and ensure it has good integrity. It may be an RV standard but I was surprised with the pervasive use of plastic wire nuts with no tape or shrink wrap, in my case even on the outside brake wires. An older trailer is going to have wiring issues, just like most classic cars. When they don't start, or melt the battery post, it's often a poor ground that is the culprit.
Daytonacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Progress made

Here's the new connection point between the ground wire from the 7-wire umbilical...

I've been making use of these ferrules recently whenever connecting to a screw terminal and find that they make a much more secure connection.

New grounding lug installed to the chassis as well, with plenty of NO-OX-ID A-Special grease to prevent corrosion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210703_125018.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	398685  
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote