Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2004, 02:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Red face Exterior Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings balrgn!

Your photo is definitely of a Polarity Light. When I have had problems with this light illuminating it has typically been when the outlet being utilized wasn't wired properly, but in one instance with a coach that had recently been acquired it was the replacement plug-end on the trailer cord that was causing the problem - - the technician who repaired the wiring on my coach also indicated that he had seen instances where a replacement power supply cord had been wired into the coach incorrectly and caused the light to illuminate as well.

As a double-check for the Polarity Light, I now carry outlet testers in each of my coaches that will identify outlets with problems.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
Well, I am a bit embarrassed. It WAS the cord to the Camper that was wired incorrectly. I stopped @ Home Depot to pick up a tester ($1.98). Reversed the wires and All is well. Now, have I caused any damage?
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 03:13 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Exterior Light???

Greetings balrgn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Well, I am a bit embarrassed. It WAS the cord to the Camper that was wired incorrectly. I stopped @ Home Depot to pick up a tester ($1.98). Reversed the wires and All is well. Now, have I caused any damage?
The appliances most likely to be impacted by reversed polarity are those with electronic circuit boards, so that would point to later model appliances that have been added or have been installed to replace the original appliances - - modern Dometic refrigeratoras with Automatic Energy Selection, later model Suburban furnaces, some of the later model water heaters with electronic ignition as well as radio/entertainment centers. Typically on a Vintage coach, unless the exposure to reversed polarity has been exceptionally long-term there haven't been a great number of reports of failures of appliances related to the condition - - the impact in regard to life-expectancy of Vintage electrical devices exposed to reversed polarity is difficult to predict.

When I noticed the polarity light on my Minuet, it had been plugged in for less than 15 minutes - - but I have no idea how long this condition existed prior to my purchase (the power cable had a new plug installed on the end that had been miswired) - - since all of my appliances were original and the coach didn't have the optional entertainment center, I didn't have any issues with failed appliances (in fact, two years later and the only original appliances that I have had to replace on the coach were the Univolt and water pump either one of which could have been the result of advanced age).

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 03:17 PM   #23
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMiller
So, what is the likelihood that my 1972 25' Trade Wind has a polarity light hidden somewhere and I just haven't discovered it yet? Were these 'standard issue' or options? What is the importance of ensuring we have the correct polarity hook-up? Thanks.
It will either be on the rear of the trailer about a foot above on the bumper just to the center of the left seam or on the left side above the water heater if you have the International package. If it is missing it may have been removed by a PO or during panel repairs...that was how we discovered a couple of replaced panels on a buddy's AS...the polarity light was missing and we looked a little closer and found the shaved rivets....good repair job BTW

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 03:20 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Junction Boxes Missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Eric,

I think I might try the Iota products. Unless someone has negative comments. http://www.iotaengineering.com/idp240.htm
They make a 50a 120V panel and a compatible 12V panel. Prices seem reasonable.

The original wiring in the overhead is nothing to be proud of. I took mine all out. I might re-use some of the grommets for 12V wiring.

Here's some pictures:
When you removed the interior wall covering were junction boxes present where the wires join? If not, I'm assuming you are going to place all the connections in boxes as you complete the rewiring. I ask this because I have heard stories about folks finding original wiring connected with no j-boxes. There is a standard for wiring vehicles for high and low voltage service, and A/S did follow them, as far as I am aware.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Lightbulb Exterior Light

Thanks for the help! Not much of anything has been running in the camper, off season you know. I've used the heat a couple times and maybe a light or 2. Good thing I walked by it at night, not very noticeable in the daytime.

I'll check all the wiring inside as I have the whole bath removed.

Balrgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings balrgn!

The appliances most likely to be impacted by reversed polarity are those with electronic circuit boards, so that would point to later model appliances that have been added or have been installed to replace the original appliances - - modern Dometic refrigeratoras with Automatic Energy Selection, later model Suburban furnaces, some of the later model water heaters with electronic ignition as well as radio/entertainment centers. Typically on a Vintage coach, unless the exposure to reversed polarity has been exceptionally long-term there haven't been a great number of reports of failures of appliances related to the condition - - the impact in regard to life-expectancy of Vintage electrical devices exposed to reversed polarity is difficult to predict.

When I noticed the polarity light on my Minuet, it had been plugged in for less than 15 minutes - - but I have no idea how long this condition existed prior to my purchase (the power cable had a new plug installed on the end that had been miswired) - - since all of my appliances were original and the coach didn't have the optional entertainment center, I didn't have any issues with failed appliances (in fact, two years later and the only original appliances that I have had to replace on the coach were the Univolt and water pump either one of which could have been the result of advanced age).

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:35 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Kevin. I'll take a closer look! Tom
TMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:54 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Well Kevin, I think you are correct. I found an electrical box near the water heater inside an interior cabinet. The 'cover' of the electrical box has a hole in the center of it and two red wires sticking out about 10". The cover faces the water heater, so if it is/was the polarity light, you would have to use a mirror to see if it was on or off. This coverplate with the hole in it looks like the coverplate in the photo of a battery cut-off switch found elsewhere in the forum, obviously, however without the light. I think it is odd that the manufacturer would face the coverplate/light in a way that it was not readily visible, but it looks like it's original equipment. Are polarity lights still available for purchase and if so, I suppose there is a proper way to install it. Anyone know? Thanks. Tom
TMiller is offline   Reply With Quote