Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Everstart confusion

Ok, Ok-I know-wally world batteries??? Yes, That is what I bought...we don't boondock a lot and when we do it is 2/3 days at a stretch. Now that we have that out of the way, here is the source of my confusion; Went to wally world to get batts for the 89 Excella. Was looking for 2 gr 27's. I get to WM and see that their "top of the line" (gr 29) Everstart MAXX-29 won't fit my boxes-no surprise. Ok, second choice; the Everstart Deep Cycle Trolling/RV battery. I am flipping through the little pamphlet they have, and the 24DC-6 has greater life/amps than the 27DC-6. How can that be?
I always thought the bigger battery (of same type) would have longer life...
I bought 2 gr 24's based on this pamphlet...is the pamphlet a misprint?
Has anyone else seen this pamphlet?

to give some example from the chart;
at 10 amps draw the 24 will last 8 hrs, the 27 will last 5.5 hrs.
at 25 amps draw the 24 will last 2.7 hrs, the 27 will last 41 min

Yet the 24 is listed as 75 max amp hrs, and the 27 is listed as 105 max amp hrs...

What is going on??? Is this a misprint?

The batteries are made by Exide, I could not find anything on-line to clarify my confusion!

Thanx, Bill
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hey billtex ,most batteries are made by exide ,carquest,kragen ,pepboys etc.
The size of the case in the old days did signify a stronger battery.today the size denotes where it will fit ,engine compartments are very tight on vehicals so batteries are made to fit them .That being said as you are doing ,check the rating of the battery ,ampere hours and cold cranking amps ,reserve etc.
The group 24 is a very common size and used to fit everything ,they can be rated at 800 amps to 1000 amps for starting batteries ,usually they are about 550 to 650 cold cranking amps.The group 27 can also have higher ratings .The ampere hour draw of course is the most important for rv usage ,
You made the right choice ,don't worry about the case size,its the power they produce .Also get a honda eu2000 or other quiet generator for backup to charge your batteries when out in the sticks ,the honda on eco throttle is real quiet.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote